Stop supporting Stereotypical Servers!

16 emeralds 53 replies 717 views | started 08/10/2017 11:28 pm by RobhieMattz
Before you call me an 8 year old kid trying to rant with my pointless thread please take your time to read my opinion

Minecraft is really such an interesting game, You could do a lot of stuffs that you can't do in other games. You can make your own server and design it the way you like it.

But hey? How many servers are there out in the wilderness? About 1k+?
Wait isn't that good? Because that just symbolizes that our community is growing!

Yes you are right, But the problem is these servers are using the same plugins,minigames, and other more stuffs that you can pretty much find in any server nowadays.

So what are you ranting about?
The thing is, These servers are flooding the server list when they are pretty much all the same, Just different spawn, Different staffs and other stuffs.

This then divides our community again and again even tho we are just experiencing same stuffs. Whilst the servers that are unique were left out in the dust.

This thread is not meant to degrade the servers that we have nowadays, Else this thread is encouraging our community to make more unique servers and to advice our community in deciding which server they should support.

And yea! I'm not 8, I'm 22 :P
Posted by avatar
RobhieMattz
Level 22 : Expert Engineer

53 replies

09/05/2017 8:27 am
Level 9 Apprentice Mage
Govindas
I agree, my unique server didn't get enough players after being up for close to 3 years because it's just unnoticed because of these many similar servers
09/05/2017 6:59 am
Level 1 New Miner
InfernoBuilder
Yes! I agree.
08/13/2017 6:29 am
Level 9 Apprentice Architect
JazzCatz
Seems like everything is fine. Can simply use google to search for different server types that you want. And within server listing web pages there are almost always ways of filtering out your search results so you can find the most popular ones, the most recently successfully pinged ones, the ones with the most money and advertising (showing they are successful).

I don't see how all the new vanilla start-up servers are getting in the way of simply filtering through search results?
08/13/2017 8:46 am
Level 16 Journeyman Network
MrrMidnight
Most of the community doesn't bother to use the filter. And even then there are almost never categories for custom made servers with custom games. Most serverlists don't even offer tags or only allow you to select a few tags from an already pre-made list. It's hard to get out there as a unique server and it's way easier to get big as just another one of those survival servers.
08/12/2017 11:29 pm
Level 22 Expert Engineer
RobhieMattz
I think the plugin makers should rethink their decisions in making their minigame plugins available for public use. Their plugin would've been rarer if they make it paid or keep it for theirselves.
08/13/2017 5:50 am
MrrMidnight
I think if Minecraft was mainly paid or private plugins, it wouldn't be nearly as fun. These plugins can also be used for private servers to like record a video for youtube. If plugins become paid, most people can't do that anymore and the game only turns more into a p2w or pay to play game like it is trying to now with Marketplace.
08/14/2017 5:22 am
Level 22 Expert Engineer
RobhieMattz
I'm talking about minigame plugins. Other essentials can still be open for public.

I mean are these minigame plugin makers even getting paid for their hardwork or at least getting credits from their works?

These kids are pretty much just watch a youtube video on how to setup a server. Get their plugin and start advertising their premature server.

Then when bug happens, They wouldn't even know what to do. Why? Because they're not the one who coded it and they don't have the knowledge about it.
08/12/2017 3:21 pm
Level 8 Apprentice Mage
Winterfrost
I agree! I barely play on any servers now because they're just so....

So boring and uncreative!
08/13/2017 5:48 am
MrrMidnight
And this is how the unique servers die. There are a lot of fun and custom built ones out there, like the many I've made in the past years. But they just die, nobody joins in. The reason why there are so many Factions servers is simply because that's what attracts people. If you want that to change, then start supporting the unique ones.
08/13/2017 6:15 am
Level 8 Apprentice Mage
Winterfrost
As I've already been doing.
08/11/2017 10:53 pm
Level 1 New Crafter
alexandero11
I 100% agree. Emerald for you!
08/11/2017 10:11 pm
Level 10 Journeyman Skinner
PBSquidPlays
You're right. Most servers aren't famous for their originality, just their amazingly huge amounts of players. You get a lot of fans, sure. But mostly every server I go on has Skywars, some variation of Creative, Survival games, and the like.
Even though the thinkers among Minecrafters come up with 100% original, awesome ideas, to use a hyperbole not so extreme, players turn away out-of-the-ordinary games faster than I can say "Multiplayer server".
These servers are fun, no doubt. But they have barely any trace of originality in their veins, so
agreeable point, and emerald for you. Now we just wonder how much time it will take for others to see the point.
08/11/2017 3:12 pm
MrrMidnight
I spent my past few years creating unique and fun servers with custom built games that were never made before. These servers do really poorly and barely any players came to it. A few weeks ago I opened a regular survival server with the bare bones like Essentials and it's doing awesome. Servers that do ''boring'' stuff are denied and will fade away. The community chooses the servers content.

So this should not be written towards servers to create more unique games, but to the players. And even then, if OP Factions, Skywars and Survival is what the community wants, why not?
08/11/2017 1:56 pm
Level 2 Apprentice Crafter
Reamie
Also, there really is no problem with making factions,skyblock but people just install a plugin and their done, they don't code it themselves to try it make it unique with a twist that makes it stand out and be different.
Half the time I wonder why servers are recruiting "devs" because the actual server is just a typical factions.

But hey atleast there's networks like hypixel but something new would be nice.
08/11/2017 3:06 pm
Level 22 Expert Blockhead
Nitwick
Purely for permissions and a few bugs that arise from slapping plugins of random versions together. It's another bone - there is a very, very low standard for "devs" around here. Edit a few config lines, and you're a dev. By that metric, I have been a dev for a long time. >.<
08/11/2017 1:51 pm
Level 2 Apprentice Crafter
Reamie
Dear god yes.
08/11/2017 8:33 am
Level 6 Apprentice Network
Ekfik
I agree we you. Especially us, as server owners have to be unique. Quality & fun game-play are at first priority!
08/11/2017 8:25 am
Nitwick
This is what I've been hinting all along to folks... there's no ingenuity, no reason to chose one over the other, and the ones with effort to them are lost in the ocean of spam (the identical servers). If you don't have a reason, a goal, you're never going to grow very far. And if you don't plan a little or don't put some marginal attempt at work into it, you are going to fail.

By all means, degrade the servers we have nowadays. Most of them are garbage, set up in minutes by people who just want the glory of calling themselves owners, usually for people who at the end of the day just want the glory of saying they were staff on yet another server to fuel their journeys as staff on other, similar servers. The good places are literally being drowned out.

I define the good places as the ones where there is time, effort, and probably money invested in them.

But consider this - we're telling people to be original, yet what is original? What can you do that isn't an equivalent coin toss for success? How can you make it unique in such a way that you don't risk abysmal failure because your idea is too radical for its time, too weird or too complicated? Define unique. Is it taking a video game and pasting it into minecraft? Is that truly unique? How about trendy servers (factions was a huge trendy mode). It's new, yet 50 other servers already did
it, but you get a temporary population boost. Was that unique?

If you can't define unique to people, they simply won't care, and the cycle will continue.

I have strong opinions on the matter, but they're tempered by the fact people want an easy way out. Unique is work, and certainly not easy, if you're actually trying. :p
08/11/2017 8:50 am
Level 22 Expert Engineer
RobhieMattz
Hey thanks for trying to explain the points that I can't explain properly. Probably because I can't fully understand it as my english is just average. But I'm somehow thankful that I manage to raise the issue that's going on right now.
08/11/2017 10:14 am
Level 1 New Miner
0_birb
How does this only have 2 votes
08/11/2017 7:03 am
Level 46 Master Ninja
BCGN
Frankly, I've noticed that a lot of servers get all of the credit for doing none of the work. These clone servers are typically built with mommy and daddy's money and are taking up the majority of the community because a couple of big servers that pioneered the theme worked. People eat this kind of stuff up, so when it comes to creating an original server with inventive and unique ideas, you're kinda the odd one out. Servers are built this way because advertisement is like a competition as to who can pay the most money to certain listings or who can find their way to evade the restrictions of a listing site.

We will continue to see regurgitated servers for the rest of Minecraft. Let's just hope people start to embrace the idea of thought and originality, though.
08/11/2017 8:43 am
Nitwick
Very true.
08/11/2017 6:34 am
Level 28 Expert Dolphin
Peridot XJ9
I can agree. As a former server owner myself, I always thrived for originality, but these gosh darn unoriginal servers are always getting the spotlight! It's like nobody can even try to make a good server when they realize that servers like Factions, Skyblock, and other such nonsense are easier to make. I'm dead serious. Every day, when I glance at server websites, all I see is "Factions Factions Factions Factions Fractions Factions" and even more blooping factions (As you can see, Factions is not my favorite, but everyone is entitled to their opinion)! It gets on my darn nerves! This is why when I try to look for a good server on MCServerLists, I try to look for original servers instead of those generic PvP servers. Bring back the originality, people! Please... Bring it back!

08/11/2017 8:42 am
Nitwick
The kicker here is that the "Factions Factions Factions Factions" that you see are often hugely struggling to survive and maybe one of those has a real community to play with...
08/11/2017 9:19 am
Level 28 Expert Dolphin
Peridot XJ9
Wait, really? I'm quite shocked and surprised to hear something like that! Uh... How about "SkyBlock SkyBlock SkyBlock SkyBlock"? You can fit whatever is totally popular in the quotation marks if I'm wrong. My apologies for coming out so oblivious. I haven't been on any servers in forever, so I'm sorry if I come off as a little blind...
08/11/2017 6:02 am
Level 45 Master Dolphin
navy12333_SARO
Yep, the server I am owner of which I think is really unique (since I've coded all the main plugins on there apart from plots) is struggling to gain as many new players as might have done a few years ago.

Especially since it has Soccer (English football) and Rocket League which were both coded by me.
08/11/2017 5:41 am
Level 9 Apprentice Skinner
HypeOr
I too feel the pain when I search for a new and interesting server, only to be met with identical mini-game clones. I understand the reason for their existence, they are in large demand. They have a 'something for everyone' approach, while more unique servers will have a specific audience. Having so many similar servers is a good thing for anyone interested in them. It creates competition to be the best and gives options to the player.

I don't understand the request for people to stop supporting these servers, they surely only play on them because they are the servers that they enjoy to play. Unless they are unaware that any other types of servers exist, which is quite possible, since we all know how hard they are to find.
08/11/2017 8:41 am
Nitwick
The problem with that is t he coin toss of survival. Two servers can do the exact same thing, same staff, everything; yet one will simply die because the players went "meh, had to pick something".

Keep in mind that many of the servers in question aren't actually living and being played on, just supported by the occasional efforts of owners, staff, and a curious passerby once in a while. The successful servers of the genre are more than welcome to do their thing. It's the metric ton of flops that make the competition excessive, because there's quite a few of them in server lists.
08/11/2017 3:15 am
Level 48 Master Droid
Ivain
instead of trying to discourage people from supporting successful server types, how about turning it around and ENCOURAGING support for unique gamemodes?
08/11/2017 4:50 am
Level 22 Expert Engineer
RobhieMattz
From the thread:
This thread is not meant to degrade the servers that we have nowadays, Else this thread is encouraging our community to make more unique servers and to advice our community in deciding which server they should support.
08/11/2017 5:07 am
Level 48 Master Droid
Ivain
hm, probably read over that, didn;t sleep well. Bit of a misleading title then, though.
08/11/2017 8:38 am
Nitwick
The thread is trying to bring awareness to the "spam", so to speak.

The problem with directly encouraging unique gamemodes is that people can't really explain what that means, and that creates the perpetual cycle of people trying to be unique, flopping badly, and returning to the fold.

So by all means, present that case of what it means to be a unique server... all that's really being done here is identifying the problem, not the solution. It's not an easy one. "make a unique server" is not a valid argument to folks for good reason.
08/11/2017 2:06 am
Level 11 Journeyman Warrior
Azrel
Alright, for the purposes of creating a debate I'm going to attempt to debunk your post.
(Keep in mind, there isn't any hidden layers in my post. I'm not here to throw shade at you.)

Firstly, your post is a bootless errand. The argument that because we see more of the same type of <blank> means that it's "stereotypical" or "bad" isn't a valid argument. The reason people tend to create knockoffsof success is simply because it's worked and well-liked among everyone. This is out of proportion, but, it's why you see games similar to World of Warcraft or Team Fortress 2. It's been proven before that you can take a gamemode that people like and turn it into something that many people will play.

You should begin to consider MC servers from either PMC or MCF like the server browser from Garry's mod. There is a general list of gamemodes that people like to enjoy playing compared to
others and then within those gamemodes are popular servers that many people enjoy playing on.

Secondly,
the your delusional argument that somehow this "divides" the MC community is simply incorrect. Having a large group of gamemodes that a mass majority who made this """stereotypical""" server thread even possible is a nothing more than a testament that the majority of the community has been able to come together and agree upon what they like and what they don't. As far as I'm concerned, for as long as I've played MC, people celebrate new and unique ways to approach things in minecraft. Servers or not. The problem with MC servers specifically revolves around how people approach their supposed "unique" idea for a server. I'm sure there are a bunch of other factors but here are the most plausible ones that I could think of from the top of my head:
  • Their "unique" idea simply just isn't a good one and people show no interest.

• They give up too easily because their idea hasn't gotten the grand start they thought it would.

• They're ill-equipped in making their idea actually happen.

• They understand little to no knowledge about the process and what it takes to get your idea heard.

Simply put, unique and creative ideas are encouraged and celebrated within the Minecraft community and having gamemodes. It doesn't divide the community and it certainly isn't a bad thing.
08/11/2017 8:35 am
Nitwick
A point by point counter.

Firstly, World of Warcraft is a massive online platform with servers hosted by a massive company that continuously generates new content. Your initial argument would be valid if you were somehow aiming at large minecraft servers - however, that is not the subject. The subject is thousands of small leaflings, not single massive trees. These leaflings make minimally viable efforts to download a few jar files, stick them in a folder, download a world, stick that in a folder, mooch the work off on someone else (all to often) and release it in 'beta' that lasts indefinitely while more moochers and staff hunters are recruited to bolster ranks, and finally, the server releases and lives for 1-3 months.

WoW and TF2 have lasted considerably longer than that, and have quite a bit more design investment.

Secondly, it's simple fact that servers do, in fact, divide the community. Statistically speaking, every server that spawns will suck up 1-10 people, on the lower average, who are simply curious what this new server did. They may leave after a week, by which time, two new servers popped up. Those curious players split between existing servers that are sort of new and the brand new servers, and somewhere in the increasingly vast mix is x person's server. x spent quite a bit of time making his server, yet his bites are very few, because there is option overload - too many servers to chose from.

The word "unique" is, truly, a strange one. People throw it out, yet they don't really understand what it means. It takes work and thought to be "unique", as well as planning. That is where your four points fit in - simply put, they haven't planned enough. However, some people have.

As for the simply put, no, not really. Factions is a gamemode that had its glory days, yet there's so many factions servers that it's hard to determine which ones to chose. Meanwhile, kingdoms or towny become more obscure - when you look at server lists, you see an awful lot more factions than basically everything else. Minigames, something that's popped up recently, has suffered worse from the "download and go" syndrome - slap a plugin in, download a map, set a few points and you are now on the "in crowd" of hundreds of servers that have already executed that same mode.
08/11/2017 1:20 pm
Level 11 Journeyman Warrior
Azrel
To address your first point. I have already clarified and acknowledged that my examples with WoW and TF2 are out of proportion but to ignore the basic logic that still remains in my first point is just ridiculous. People create knockoffs off of other peoples ideas. To say that the argument is invalid because "I didn't somehow aim at large minecraft servers" doesn't really have any basis. It's a pointless point that isn't a count in any shape. Large MC servers are being copied because it works.

In addition to that allow me to quote you:

"WoW and TF2 have lasted considerably longer than that, and have quite a bit more design investment."

The only relevance this statement holds goes to my favor. If something popular has been around for a long period of time it's more likely to be copied by others. Same holds true for MC servers. The misconception that you hold entailing that for some reason because it's a much more massive subject that it can't hold any comparison to what we're talking about is not correct.

To address your second point, can you provide me these "statistics" you're mentioning? I would *love* to read them. People seem to not really understand what it means to divide a community so allow me give another example through another game, Dark Souls II. When sotfs (scholar of the first sin) was released on steam it completely divided the community into two because the DLC itself was completely a separate game under the same title. The original community was split into two parts of the game, which is something that isn't happening on MC. This post about common servers doesn't divide anything, it's just an exaggeration to express their dislike in what they see.

Addressing your last paragraph. Saying that it's glory days are over doesn't apply to the gamemode if it heavily outweighs the server list compared to other game modes, that just makes no sense at all. Additionally, not having the ability to choose is a personal matter and results from you, not from me. Saying, "I can't figure out what to choose so you can't either" isn't an argument.
08/11/2017 2:26 am
Level 22 Expert Engineer
RobhieMattz
Alright, Thanks for bringing this up. I think it's just me not being satisfied with the list of servers we have right now. Altho you have a great point there.
08/11/2017 1:34 am
Level 3 Apprentice Engineer
Mooselk
I agree, it would be nice if we could highlight some of the more creative and unique communities.
08/11/2017 1:41 am
Level 22 Expert Engineer
RobhieMattz
I wish there's that, Instead of only highlighting these populated minigame servers.
08/11/2017 1:45 am
Level 3 Apprentice Engineer
Mooselk
Another issue is money, a lot of these servers are backed by a large group of developers. Most had a lot to start out with and some built there way up from nothing. I miss when a server could be anything like in 2011 - 2012 every server was so simple.
08/10/2017 11:52 pm
Level 43 Master Cowboy
Chron
Eh, some people like the small size of seemingly redundant servers. Sometimes you just want to play with plugins by yourself, without having to worry about anyone killing you or stealing your resources. I kinda enjoy that occasionally if the tutorial end of things isn't too heavy.

Also children, children like least common denominator when it comes to getting OP. More smaller servers = More OPs and chances at OP.

If you want new server types, you've got to make them yourself, it seems. And market them really, really well without being too niche. Unless that's your thing.
08/11/2017 12:31 am
Level 22 Expert Engineer
RobhieMattz
I wouldn't really recognize these 70% servers that's flooding the server list as aiming for a small community type. And about the "more OP" what's the point of having OP when it's meant to be a small scale server?

Most of the servers nowadays are 5/20 then those 5 are all moderators. You enter the world and you're basically alone because the others are all meant to run the server.

Also my thread is trying to promote collectivity. Each of these so called small servers are dividing the community again and again which limits the chances of us meeting each other. Unlike when we're all located in the same server.
08/11/2017 12:43 am
Level 43 Master Cowboy
Chron
The small community thing is more from the perspective of the player, rather than the owner. Most owners don't want a small community, you're right. But most of them end up with that, and that's what a player ends up experiencing.

Even if those 5 moderators don't have anyone to rule over or punish, simply having the title and the "power" is enough to satiate many, especially if these ranks come with nifty things like some of the hidden Essentials commands, McMMO controls, and WorldEdit to name a few. So on the smaller scale, yeah, there's gonna be a higher mod to player ratio, although this doesn't really respond to your statement well.

That's what servers like Mineplex and Hypixel are for. That's your chance to meet people, and then from there go find a smaller server to just mess around on if you don't have your own. Very few people only play on 1 server if they're active MC players.

Other Hub servers on the larger side also serve this purpose without being minigame-oriented. There's a whole lot of people out there, and I'm betting that those that spend most of their time on smaller servers either want to experience things by themselves/in a small group or are just burned out on people.
08/10/2017 11:40 pm
Level 2 Apprentice Engineer
Kawaii_Chloez
great post, i think you shoudnt start a server if its the same as the rest
08/11/2017 8:25 am
Nitwick
Amen. If you don't bring something to the table... why bother?
08/10/2017 11:44 pm
Level 22 Expert Engineer
RobhieMattz
Glad you understand it. The logic is divide the community for each server that is made.
Let's say the number of players are 100 then the server made was 50
100 / 50 = 2player per servers those 100 player could've meet each other.

Search

Browse

Site

© planetminecraft.com

Welcome