Switching sides?

Stubbs1's Avatar Stubbs16/21/17 6:51 pm
6/23/2017 11:51 pm
Leeberator's Avatar Leeberator
Hello people of PMC
So after hearing all the fuzz about minecraft becomming cross-compatible, I've been thinking as a veteran of the minecraft community. Is it actually worth switching away from the Java Edition?

By that I don't mean in terms of gameplay, but in terms of your ability to create. Being a builder who's enjoying the 1.12 update and creating quite a few things with it I have a hard time switching to something like the Windows 10 Edition simply because it dosen't feel right.

But what do you think? Is it a good idea to switch now, or should we keep fighting for the Java version?
Stubbs1
Retired Moderator
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/23/2017 11:51 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Pepijn
Its official name is pretty much "Java Edition" by now, never heard of "Community Edition".

Yep. The E3 article on minecraft.net stated it will be officially renamed Java Edition.
06/23/2017 2:13 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
NewSuperMario
(sidenote to Bertiecrafter: the "community edition" is actually the possible upcoming name for the java edition, the other editions will just be called "Minecraft" or you can call it Bedrock/Unified Edition)

Its official name is pretty much "Java Edition" by now, never heard of "Community Edition".
06/23/2017 12:17 pm
Leeberator
TomConnHow long will it take Mojang/Microsoft to get you to switch? I already know what changes I would like to see, but what would you like before even considering switching?

There are only two missing features that are keeping me from exclusively playing Bedrock - updated combat and official server software. Once those come around, I can guarantee that I won't be playing very much if any at all of the Java version.

I would also like to point out a neat thing I discovered in Bedrock - mob XP grinders can be made to consistently put monsters at 1 health. Unlike the Java version, you can drop mobs like zombies and skeletons 22 blocks and they will always be a single punch away from death. In Java Edition, you'd need to make a slightly shorter drop to have most mobs survive, as for some reason they occasionally take damage while moving towards the drop.
06/22/2017 6:17 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
Thanks for all the answers first off.

But I've tried the windows 10 edition, bought the PE, and even bought the Xbox version of Minecraft, and I must say, if you're like me and love the controls on PC, you shouldn't switch untill they implant that exact control system into the Windows 10 Edition, considering that it's currently the most Java alike with controls, options, and etc.

Though a question anybody can answer,

How long will it take Mojang/Microsoft to get you to switch? I already know what changes I would like to see, but what would you like before even considering switching?
06/22/2017 3:38 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
NewSuperMario
As some others have mentioned, I think you should try both versions (since Windows 10 Edition is free for people who have already bought the Java version) and just wait and see what happens. If one of the editions don't end up being what you want you can just switch back at any time

(sidenote to Bertiecrafter: the "community edition" is actually the possible upcoming name for the java edition, the other editions will just be called "Minecraft" or you can call it Bedrock/Unified Edition)
06/23/2017 1:40 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer
Bertiecrafter
OOPS! I edited my previous comment, because otherwise it could cause quite a bit of confusion. Thanks for telling me =)
06/22/2017 3:04 pm
Level 20 : Expert Network
Sparthia
Noo! Stay with us java people!
06/22/2017 2:48 pm
Leeberator
I have to go with the Bedrock version. Why?
  • It's multiplatform. By this fall you'll be able to play it on your phone, your PC, or your console.
  • It supports multiple control inputs. Right now, every Bedrock-based edition supports all three types of input (touch, controller, and KB/M), with the exception of iOS as it doesn't have mouse support.
  • It has a budding mod API. Right now you can only modify existing game content, but in the future you will be able to add your own stuff. Additionally, it is designed in a way that developers won't have to update their mods every time the game gets an update.
  • One-click installation of mods, resource packs, and maps.
  • Easy sharing of maps. Simply export it as an .MCWORLD file, and distribute it as you wish.
  • It's more or less up to date with Java Edition. It's missing a few things here and there (like updated combat, jukeboxes, stained glass, and banners), but generally it has the same features as the Java version. Heck, it even got some 1.12 features before 1.12 released!
  • It runs a lot better. Not having to run in a Java interpreter has done a lot for performance.

Sure, it's a little clunky. Yes, it doesn't have official server software yet. But, server software is confirmed to be coming (with the mod API baked in!), and the UI/gameplay annoyances that make the game feel clunky are being worked on.
06/22/2017 3:27 pm
Bertiecrafter
Hold on, are you saying that you can give files certain extensions and you can open it (possibly automatically) with the minecraft app, where the app would know what to do with it? I know that's a giant assumption, but what other way of one-click installation are we talking about?
06/22/2017 3:50 pm
Leeberator
Essentially, yes. MCWORLD and MCPACK files are pretty much ZIP archives with special file extensions that tell the game that it can be imported. Minecraft starts when you run the file, and begins importing the content. Depending on what file manager you use, you can even do it on mobile! If the file isn't supported, the game won't crash - it will simply state that it couldn't perform the import (with logged errors if possible).

This is what you'll find inside a freshly-exported world:

This is what a resource MCPACK looks like:

And this is what a shader pack* contains:

*Shaders are a natively-supported addition to the traditional resource pack. If you want to make a "shader pack," simply add your shaders to an empty resource pack.
06/22/2017 2:02 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
The Java Edition and "Bedrock/Unified" Edition have a slightly different target audience IMO. Java looks like it is the foundation for adding new content while the other editions focus more on trying to make the game very accessible. There are some exceptions of course, like the Observer block which was added to PE first. But even the Observer block was added to simplify the more complex Block Update Detectors from Java for people on PE.

Just a note: It's the same with Realms, they're not here to replace all servers. They're here for people who want to have a very easy and official way to play with their friends.
06/22/2017 1:22 pm
Bertiecrafter
Okay let's just skip this entire modding and plugins thing.

The thing is, everyone is stressing out because the Java version would disappear and mod compatibility would be gone. Also the marketplace will STEAL content you create and sell it online.... That's what everyone thinks and it's BS to me.

The unified edition is not finished, just like the java edition. The recent console update is mostly focused on getting the devices to work together. There will be plenty of time, before the unified edition catches up to the java edition or become a worthy alternative. It's also said that they do support the modding community and that they will keep supporting the java edition for a very long time. And the marketplace is optional, the content creators get (most of) the money. It was introduced as an easy way for consoles to dowload and install things. (Navigating through the file system on a game/mobile device is usually harder than on a windows pc)

Now about creating things:
As for now, stick to java. There are features missing on the unified edition that just have to be there. Most people aren't ready to make the switch, since the gap is too big. There isn't only a problem with functionality, but also the available audience. As I said earlier, most people can't be bothered to install maps on most devices, simply because it's too difficult or because they can do it way easier on the pc with the (familiar) java edition. On computers, the unified edition isn't ready to replace the java version yet. Lastly, there are also a lot of people simply "trying out" the unified edition.

If you take everyone on the unified edition, take away the game/mobile devices AND take away all expirmental users who would rather download a map on java if they had the choice, you are left with a very small amount.

Bottomline:
Everybody complains about mods, hacked clients, the marketplace and the doom of minecraft. But I honestly think they are just scared of microsoft ditching the java edition too fast. Stay on the java edition, but keep an eye on the unified edition. Give it some time to catch up, grow, adjust and become a worthy replacement. Then unless you find a unique feature that you want to express yourself in, only make the switch when most players do. It's not worth it for now.
06/22/2017 9:09 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Necromancer
Noctris
Java & only java!

Server plugins, easy modding, tons of texture packs, these are just a few of the things that win10 will never beat.

You cant make a plugin for a server that doesn't support plugins, so im guessing java will live on for years to come!
06/22/2017 1:28 pm
Bertiecrafter
What you say is true, but as I said above... never say never =)
Give it a chance once it becomes better, but don't start comparing it now.
06/22/2017 2:01 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
Java, Due to modding.... But I can just see it now, Java servers will slowly die over time..
06/21/2017 10:36 pm
Level 45 : Master Ranger
Greystalk
I'm sticking with Java for now though I have win 10 installed. In terms of mods, including vanilla mods which I specialize in, I think Java will always reign supreme. Win 10 has potential, but it's nowhere near the level of Java currently, except concerning optimization.
06/21/2017 9:51 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Alien
sixfootblue
TomConnHello people of PMC
...or should we keep fighting for the Java version?

There's nothing to fight for. It's not going anywhere for a long time, don't worry.

With that being said though, I'm still sticking to java since it's mostly what I make content for, and it has more materials to work with as far as building goes. (Off the top of my head, Win10 doesn't have things like stained glass yet, which is a real let-down). You should still be able to build some awesome things with win10 (the trailers from E3 looked pretty nice, and there's enough that expansive maps are being sold on the marketplace, but you may run into some bumps if materials you typically like to use aren't currently there.

To my understanding, all Java users got a free access key for the win10 edition, so I'd recommend just trying it out yourself and seeing how you like it. And if it doesn't float your boat, then all you really lose is a few hours of your time, haha.
06/21/2017 7:56 pm
Level 45 : Master Procrastinator
mincerafter42
Java!
Examples:
-When I played on my friend's console, I found the controls practically impossible to use.
-I don't have a smartphone and don't want one.
-I hate Windows 10.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome