The Builder, or the Owner?

Spy Jay's Avatar Spy Jay7/11/18 12:18 am
7/11/2018 10:33 pm
Azie's Avatar Azie
Let's say you're a photographer for a company, your services are owned by the company and the photos you take belong to them. I personally think in Minecraft if you're on a build team the builds you do their in service would be owned by the server/server owner.

I want other opinions though, please answer the poll and comment what you think. The reason why I ask this is because I own a server and I can't upload the builds because it claimed by someone else who doesn't even play the server and they claim they built it..

Poll ended 07/14/2018 12:18 am.

Spy Jay
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Lad

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/11/2018 8:13 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
RepoMeister
If the owner asked the builders to do the build for the owner and the builders agreed to do the work for the owner and agreed to relinquish all creative interest in the build then the work product belongs to the owner. This is exactly the analogy you gave at the beginning with the gentle reminder that the photographers for the company are "for the company" because they explicitly signed employment agreements or creative contracts relinquishing intellectual property rights. Absent said contracts (or chat logs or whatever in the case of MC build teams), the build would belong to the builder as far as intellectual property rights goes.

By the way, if they don't play the server then they are lying about having been the one to build it. Just saying...
07/11/2018 7:13 pmhistory
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Depends.

If the person sells you their service to build something and you both agree that any resulting build will be solely your property, the owner of the build releases all their rights to it. If no such agreement happens, the person who built it retains all their rights, even if you paid them to build it. That's how copyright law works.
07/11/2018 9:40 pm
Spy Jay
Well, no payment was made but there is an agreement set for builders that it's for the server itself and not to take credit for on a website such as PMC.
07/11/2018 10:33 pmhistory
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I'm not entirely sure how well that would hold up in a courtroom, if someone were to take it there. It's not too uncommon an occurrence that courts rule on the side of the creator regarding things like this since they don't expect everyone to have read posted Terms stating they're giving up their copyrights by posting/creating wherever it is.

Unless you have an explicit statement from the person stating they're releasing all their rights to that content to you, I wouldn't consider it yours.
07/11/2018 5:02 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
Depending on the agreement, usually how it goes is that you built it on their server ergo it's theirs which just avoids a lot of headaches altogether.

However, technically it is the property of the Builder themselves since they are the ones putting in the time and effort to creating a structure and are at full liberty to stop or completely pull if there's an issue. It's like loaning your friend your car and then they turn around calling the cops on you saying they stole your car, especially if you paid them for it.

But, from the sound of things that's more of an inactivity issue which gives you full right to do away with it which falls under the "your server, your rules" rule which is an unwritten one agreed by most. Best you can do is give a warning, but if they haven't been on in a while (I say 6+ months), then you probably should clear it.
07/11/2018 5:57 pm
Spy Jay
When it comes to their inactivity, they don't play the server. They join every now and then for some sort of "Check-Up" thing or if they're bored, but they don't play the server the same way everyone else or the way it's meant to be played. So in other words it's like he's just joining.
07/11/2018 6:46 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
Then there's not much you can do, you could still force them to play for 10 minutes or something, but that's your choice. Also, if there are rules you can tell them to follow or be kicked. Mostly up to you, just sounds like inactive players even if they do join, they're not participating which is usually the bare minimum.
07/11/2018 1:34 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
ObsoletePrism_
Honestly, it wouldn't matter who built it. Once it is placed into that server, or if it has been given to them, then it is officially 100% theirs. The owner of the server has 100% of control over the build, due to the fact that it is THEIR server, not the builder's. The builder does indeed get credit for the build, but it is still the Owner's property now. Possibly not many people would agree with me and tell me that "The server owner did not build this, therefore it isn't theirs." That is a very wrong statement. The server owner pays for the server and owns it. This means that whatever builds have been placed on the server are theirs. Again, like I said before, the builder does get credit... but it is the Owner's property now. I can see how this might anger the builder or cause an argument, but unless the builder physically owns the server or pays for it, then the build belongs to the Owner. Thank you.
07/11/2018 9:02 am
Level 41 : Master Technomancer
Giancarlovan
Honestly, I think it depends on the agreement between the builder and the owner.
07/11/2018 4:18 pm
Spy Jay
Yes, that makes sense. But if there is no specification or term between the Builder & Owner and it isn't a downloaded map I would say the Owner has property of it because it'd simply be placing blocks on a server.
07/11/2018 8:19 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
MrBrianWeldon
Your server. You own them. However both the owner and the builder should be allowed to upload.
07/11/2018 7:36 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
Stealth_Gamer
You should be able to use the builds because your the one paying for the server and if they only exist on the server that means you are paying for them
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome