Is the MCcommunity dying?

OhLookItsHeybrid's Avatar OhLookItsHeybrid3/30/16 3:55 am
3/30/2016 3:20 pm
Calendar Man's Avatar Calendar Man
Hi,
Over the past few months I've noticed that a lot of the YouTubers who I have watched for many years now are starting to go away from the game that got them to where they are today - Minecraft. ZexyZek has stopped Minecraft videos on his main channel and doesn't seem to be posting many on his second channel either but he's not the only one... BajanCanadian seems to have moved away from his more classic series and appears to be getting bored of the game as a whole, his reactions seem more forced and simply to keep his young audience watching.

To make matters worse, it is increasingly hard for a new Minecraft channel to grow. They simply get lost in the tidal wave of 7 year olds playing the Hunger Games and griefing servers. My friend attempted to make a channel a few months ago and after a lot of work it just wasn't growing like his old channel was a few years ago.

However, I don't think this matter is exclusive to YouTube... It looks like the Minecraft community is dying all together. Me and my friends pretty much stopped playing a few months ago and we're not the only ones. Since 1.9 came out players have only been divided and the community just hasn't had the friendly, calm, chilled attitude it had before Microsoft took over Mojang. I hate to be 'that guy' but everything felt better when the game was run by an indie studio who really loved their game.

It just feels like Minecraft has grown to big too quickly and the community can't keep up... But what do you think? Is it still possible to grow a channel (or a server for that matter)? Was it really better in 'the good old days'?

Thanks
OhLookItsHeybrid
Level 7 : Apprentice Modder

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/30/2016 2:50 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Artist
xXchrispXx
There are definitly less players nowadays
03/30/2016 3:03 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
macgarthur
Well you're wrong. I bet if you looked up the dates when you see players drop I would bet you that happens right after a major update release, where all the whiners quit the game temporarily. Then after people cry a river, build a bridge and get over it the population goes straight back to normal.

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=minecraft
03/30/2016 3:20 pm
Level 44 : Master Sweetheart
Calendar Man
That's a good observation.
03/30/2016 2:46 pm
Level 21 : Expert Taco
Wolfhide
No, the community is not dead, and saying that 1.9 is stupid is also saying eltra, respawnable ender Dragon, and Dragon head is stupid, along with pot arrows. Yet those are the best part of it, (and cheap and custom shield's)
03/30/2016 2:14 pm
Calendar Man
This is a tricky topic for me... But in the long run, I'd say yes.
Ever since the crappy 1.9 combat system, everyone has seemed to left the game.
03/30/2016 2:22 pm
macgarthur
I think you mean the people who whined about 1.9 left the game. The rest of the people who actually enjoy Minecraft are still here.
03/30/2016 2:53 pm
Calendar Man
You'd be right. I'm no PvP player, but I still think the new combat system kinda sucks. Some people don't know how to treat changes. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.
03/30/2016 1:15 pm
macgarthur
Nope, the MC community isn't dying. The horrible trends on YouTube however are.

For the last few years games like Minecraft have been a haven for the child community, there are always older players but YouTube videos were focused on the 6-13 year old age range. Now that YouTubers are getting sick of doing this they're slowly moving away into making real videos. Not videos where you just scream at the camera, make a bunch of funny faces and funny voices, act like a complete idiot and as immature as possible aka the PewDiePie sensation. The man specifically makes videos for little kids and then throws a fit when his fans act like little kids. YouTubers have realized that those people are also growing up, so if you want to keep the same viewers you gotta change the content as they change.

I like the change. I'm getting tired of going to YouTube and leaving with a headache and my eyes bleeding. I'd also like to see some actual content. I don't know how many times I'll see a headline for a video like let's say "shark attack" in a game, the thumbnail shows a shark attacking, the title says the video is about the player getting attacked by a shark in some game. You want a 12 minute video and NEVER AT ANY POINT DID THE PLAYER GET ATTACKED BY A SHARK, the entire video is a guy running around in the water yelling about how scary it would be if he got attacked by a shark, and that every waves looks like a shark and that every sound sounds like a shark, and that he's pretty sure the boogeyman is in his closet and that he's adopted.

TL;DR The MC community isn't dying, the child like trends on YouTube however are finally changing and that's great. We're finally getting back to actual content and away from trolling, harassing, screaming, etc.
03/30/2016 1:00 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
CoDoMoBoRoFoPoSoLoKo
Nope, definitely not. For the last couple of years, minecraft has been getting so much love and attention. It's crazy to think how far this (at first) small indie game has gotten.

Instead of saying that community is dying, I would however say that it is definitely changing. It used to such a humble, caring and respective community, but now it is just a bunch of immature toxic children.
03/30/2016 12:18 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Narwhal
Existential
Yes, Minecraft is dying. It will be missed.

Just kidding, I was being sarcastic as always. The next sentence will not be sarcastic:
Minecraft is being overrun by immature 6-12 year olds who grief, complain, and just be complete and utter nuances. I was twelve at one point (so no one asks, I'm 14), yes (I'll admit I was quite annoying then), but that's not the point. From what I've gathered, Minecraft was made for 13-18 year olds.

That's just my opinion. Feel free to take all of your anger out on me
03/30/2016 11:43 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Modder
guestds
JohnnyTheJohnny

Micro-snip-

i feel they dont want people playing the non windows 10 minecraft.... think about it you get spammed for windows 10 for FREE and FREE beta test of windows 10 minecraft.... and you cant download the non windows 10 launcher on windows 10 as it says incompatible but its not (my sister uses windows 10... she betrayed me.... not really but i hate windows 10 it disables my internet so i waited 2 hours for it to install then 2 hours to uninstall... i hates it i lost valuable minecraft time.... i needs to kill piggys or my life is worthless.... if thats all i do is kill non existant pigs my life would already be pretty worthless but meh.... id be rich with my 5 cent self if you compare how much i have now.... i think... microsoft is illuminati... they control every move... that or its the government) but in a way yes and in the other way no... its growing by like 5 people per day and losing 4 per day i guess? i joined in beta 1.6.6 and things were really different then.... but anyone since then if you feel like not playing minecraft anymore go to the launcher and change the version to the first version youve played and get that nostalgia rushing in and corressing those brain cells with.... that version.... checkered pattern of grass and sand? that looks cool idk why and its nostalgic to me for some reason... also only have 8 sugarcane max in a farm if you wont mass sell cakes....

ps ill shut up now cause why do i tend to type essays on minecraft but cant get 5 words onto school essays unless minecraft related? srry for long post
03/30/2016 11:04 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
JohnnyTheJohnny
Well, after this EULA crap about not being able to sell ingame items. It's been harder to pay bills for servers and harder for users to buy things that reallllllly help them thru the game, basically rendering it to become boring and just seem ridiculous. You see CS:GO selling guns and weapons and people selling items for CS:GO but Minecraft you can't do that? Now there is an issue with updates being useless and very , very pointless. Microsoft really messed up
03/30/2016 3:01 pm
Level 24 : Expert Button Pusher
Azrath
With sheer amount of stupidity in this post no wonder why minecraft would die... ALSO I have to point this out, MICROSOFT, IS, NOT, developing minecraft, mojang is. Please stay away from this "Oh Microsoft is ruining Minecraft" away.
03/30/2016 1:57 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Help them through the game? What exactly is this endgame that's being helped to?

And I think you haven't read the EULA as you can in fact sell certain things, just not direct gameplay affecting ones. You can also do it if donation rewards end up going in some part towards the entire server's community, that's a common way to work with it. Of course, mojang doesn't do very much enforcement side...

EULA is just fine. If you have to stay alive with a server by selling OP items, you should not have a server. Good owners will figure out how to make donations work and be interesting. /fly and /tp aren't "interesting", and stuff like TP and staff ranks really shouldn't be given to random doners as donation does not necessarily equate player maturity, but that's another topic.

CS:GO has a completely different style of gameplay and business model. In minecraft one's server's donations is another server's common stuff. They can't be well compared.

Microsoft isn't doing very much as Mojang is still running the show, though I do pin the win 10 version on Microsoft.
03/30/2016 11:42 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
Oh, so you like pay to win, and the ability for servers to "sell" things that aren't theirs? I totally disagree with what you are saying.
03/30/2016 10:50 am
OhLookItsHeybrid
Hoodiniatorwe're only limited to using 1 ram.
Does you lieks the 1 ram?
03/30/2016 10:40 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
Hoodiniator
The community is still growing. It's just that, once you've accomplished everything in minecraft, it's going to get boring since there's no more challenge once you have full diamond gear, a life-size castle made out of diamond, gold, iron, and emerald blocks. With people like me, who still only have 32x computers/laptops, we can't get much mods since we're only limited to using 1 ram.
03/30/2016 10:25 am
Level 29 : Expert Dragonborn
caarsonr
In my opinion it's growing at the same rate it's been growing.

I asked a toddler if he liked minecraft, he replied that every single one of his friends played. Don't worry, I'm sure big youtubers are just getting bored of doing the same thing every day. It's somewhat like doing the same paperwork everyday.
03/30/2016 10:21 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
I get the feeling youtube suffers the same case of oversaturation minecraft servers do.
03/30/2016 4:27 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Explorer
RenegadeRad
There's going to be that idiotic guy who will comment "I don't understand why people make these posts" and act like he is smart, and is not ready to accept the bad.

Then there's Ivan, who is a smart man with smart arguments.
03/30/2016 4:19 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Goblin
ROYALHeiny
No, its actually getting bigger everyday.
03/30/2016 4:13 am
OhLookItsHeybrid
Wow... It seems like I was wrong

That is honestly really good. This post wasn't saying I supported the death of the community I was just asking if it was there and the fact that it isn't is fantastic!
03/30/2016 4:04 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
clockworkmagic
With the growing popularity of Minecraft comes a lot of pros and cons. The pros would, of course, be a bigger community altogether, although one of the cons is that the community is no longer a small, personal, tight-knit group of friendly, kind people. This is usually what happens with a good deal of popular games with big communities, and honestly, it was to be expected from the very start.

As for the fact that some people seem to be growing tired of the game.. That's to be expected, too. A lot of the people that grew popular by making videos of them playing Minecraft have been playing the game for years, and honestly, as fun as it is, it does start to get boring after a while, just like with every other game, especially if you play it pretty much every single day, like they do.

It's most definitely still possible to grow a channel or a server, if you have the drive and the tools to do it. Growing a youtube channel now is much harder in general nowadays because YouTube has grown to be a huge thing, where as when it had just started, making a popular channel was, in some ways, easier, because of lack of competition (however, the downside would be the lack of users.)

Overall, I wouldn't say that it's necessarily a bad thing that the community has gotten so large. The game is still as fun as ever, even if it can get boring (and tiring) at times. That's when you just need to take a break and do something else for a while until it starts to be appealing again.
03/30/2016 3:57 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
The answer is no.

The community is smaller then it was years ago, but it's still a very active fanbase. The reason it is hard for anyone to make a Minecraft Youtube Channel is because there is waaaay too many people trying, not enough demand for ones except the famous channels, because it's been done to death for ages. Plus, people get bored of Minecraft and move on. Sure, I visit it now and again, but I haven't had a proper playthrough of Minecraft in months.
03/30/2016 4:07 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Explorer
RenegadeRad

and OP, the answer to your statement is,

Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome