forum Forumsplay_arrow Minecraft fiber_manual_record Discussion

The point of Unrealism in MC

1 emerald34 replies511 views
created 09/30/2011 10:26 pm by brandman
last reply 10/21/2011 6:59 pm
Okay, well we all know, that minecraft has fictional things in it (take creepers), but yet also has non fictional (dirt, pigs, ect.) Well it obviously pulls in both directions, of the late the unrealistic, and to the point of almost fairy tale like things in minecraft. I mean I think the made up stuff in minecraft is really fun, but when does it go overboard? An alchemy table? Potions? I'm not playing lotro for a reason here, because I'm playing minecraft.

Also lets take "diamond blocks" as well and aquamarine blocks could have the same argument. In case you don't know, diamonds are gems stones, in other words not metals as in iron and gold. Having blocks for those two items makes sense and obviously in real life they use iron "blocks". But you cant take a gem, melt it down with other gems, and have a bigger gem or a block of it.

I mean these are just my opinions, and everyone's entitled to their own, so give everyone posting meaningful posts an open audience and not be mean. This could be a "debate" of sorts.
Posted by avatar
brandman
Level 31 : Artisan Narwhal

34 replies

10/21/2011 12:56 am
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Zombie
Boomer
Actually minecraft was never meant to be just mining/ building... the game was released at a unfinished state, and as such it was never only going to be just the things een in the older versions...
10/20/2011 5:35 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Alien
charliecarlo
If you want realism, go outside. I'll wait here...

Oh, you're back!
See? Reality's pretty damned boring.
Have fun with your potions, you nut.
10/20/2011 3:29 pm
Level 26 : Expert Blockhead
BlockinmyPocket
Some of the blocks are illogical, I tried to shy away from that in my texture pack, my diamond block would have to be cut from a giant chunk of diamond.
10/21/2011 6:59 pm
brandman
Really? That's great! I wanted to use the idea in a future texture pack someday as well. Hope more follow.
10/20/2011 3:19 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Grump
Nox Aeterna
well, minecraft is totally unrealistic because EVERYTHING IS FRICKIN SQUARE!!!! and i play minecraft for building and survival, not like potions and junk like that. thats why i play 1.7.3. it is in my opinion the best version hands down
10/20/2011 3:11 pm
Level 43 : Master Batman
Flyinpig5
In my opinion, before 1.8 was released, minecraft was just amazing. 1.8 didn't look good in my eyes at first, but when it was released I loved it.

Basically, if you love the updates, great, you'll have some more soon

And if you don't like the updates, shut up and go downgrade your minecraft.
10/20/2011 1:45 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Artist
Epik_Erik
to be fair the game is called MINECRAFT not potioncraft or mmocraft or harry pottercraft so with all these potions and stuff being added in its kinda straying from what this game was
10/20/2011 12:28 pm
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
Noble66666
I got fed up with it so i just Downgraded to 1.7.3
its better
10/07/2011 4:49 pm
brandman
IBloodstormINo, I've read every post. I see a lot of people complaining that unrealistic things have been added to Minecraft, but Minecraft has never been about realism, or remotely realistic.

Find a PVP server that doesn't use potions or enchantments if you don't like them, or start your own.

Same thing with finding 1.7-1.8 servers

IBloodstormIPotions take mostly ingredients from the Nether, so they aren't exactly the most abundant of resources, and they take a while to brew, having to mix different things together to make stronger potions.

Enchantments take experience levels, and diamonds and obsidian to make the enchantment table. even then, right now they don't do anything (from what I can tell), and if they do, it isn't much because I've not noticed anything significant from my enchanted sword.

So? It's doesn't matter someone will use them somehow regardless of their rarity.

IBloodstormIFor the longest time, Minecraft has been criticized that it is not much of a game, that it had nothing to do past building, and that was mostly a correct criticism. Now Notch is adding in the elements he's always planned for Minecraft to make it feel a lot more like a game.

I never said that it shouldn't be more like a game. I'm just saying when is it enough of this bs with potions and enchantments.
10/07/2011 10:17 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Dwarf
IBloodstormI
brandman
IBloodstormIMinecraft has never been realistic. I want to know what world you guys live in, if Minecraft ever struck you as somehow close to real life. I want to live in that world.

sackboy198just click to turn off generate structures if you dont like the new stuff i mean 90% of new item come from stronghold/mineshafts/villages problem solved

And I m about sick and tired of people reading this thread and ASSUMING my thought s because they're too lazy to read.

No, I've read every post. I see a lot of people complaining that unrealistic things have been added to Minecraft, but Minecraft has never been about realism, or remotely realistic.

Find a PVP server that doesn't use potions or enchantments if you don't like them, or start your own.

Potions take mostly ingredients from the Nether, so they aren't exactly the most abundant of resources, and they take a while to brew, having to mix different things together to make stronger potions.

Enchantments take experience levels, and diamonds and obsidian to make the enchantment table. even then, right now they don't do anything (from what I can tell), and if they do, it isn't much because I've not noticed anything significant from my enchanted sword.

For the longest time, Minecraft has been criticized that it is not much of a game, that it had nothing to do past building, and that was mostly a correct criticism. Now Notch is adding in the elements he's always planned for Minecraft to make it feel a lot more like a game.
10/06/2011 10:44 pm
Level 28 : Expert Princess
sackboy198
just click to turn off generate structures if you dont like the new stuff i mean 90% of new item come from stronghold/mineshafts/villages problem solved
10/06/2011 10:36 pm
Level 46 : Master Droid
xMrSchmidtx
IBloodstormI You can still play Minecraft any way you choose. Everything that has been added can be avoided in its entirety in one way or another. That's the beauty of Minecraft; it is still, and always was, whatever you make of it.

What an eloquent and beautiful way of saying... oh, wait, I lost interest c;
10/06/2011 9:52 pm
IBloodstormI
Minecraft has never been realistic. I want to know what world you guys live in, if Minecraft ever struck you as somehow close to real life. I want to live in that world.
10/06/2011 8:53 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Skinner
wolfy125132
If you dislike the idea of potions and enchantments in PvP, then I suggest you start working on your enchantments.
10/07/2011 5:58 am
brandman
Yeah unfortunately. But see I don't like the idea, and if I PvP I can't really avoid it.

BoomerFrom what I have seen in some of the code that mentions potions, it seems like they may amplify stuff.... probably damage and or mining speeds or maybe even running speeds. I really want to see what the 3 different types of enchantments do.

And I don't like that.

IBloodstormIMinecraft has never been realistic. I want to know what world you guys live in, if Minecraft ever struck you as somehow close to real life. I want to live in that world.

sackboy198just click to turn off generate structures if you dont like the new stuff i mean 90% of new item come from stronghold/mineshafts/villages problem solved

And I m about sick and tired of people reading this thread and ASSUMING my thought s because they're too lazy to read.
10/06/2011 8:56 pm
Boomer
From what I have seen in some of the code that mentions potions, it seems like they may amplify stuff.... probably damage and or mining speeds or maybe even running speeds. I really want to see what the 3 different types of enchantments do.
10/06/2011 8:46 pm
Boomer
People also have to realize that this game wasn't just going to be a barebones survival/building/mining game.
10/06/2011 7:33 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
StChristmass
Minecraft is nothing close to Realistic like it used to be.. Want it realistic? use the Realism pack By Scuttles
10/06/2011 6:58 pm
brandman
I'm not saying I HATE the new things, or that I can't keep playing or its getting crappy, but isn't it just a little off from what made the game so great when it was still in it's ALPHA.

See fantasy things like creepers or even mooshrooms are cool, I like those ideas and I hope more like it will continue. Same with more Nether things. I just don't like enchantment, potions blah blah blah. And don't even say the usual argument "oh well you can just use 1.7-1.8 or don't craft it" because if anyone's like me (and most are) then the majority of your time spent on minecraft is on online servers having fun and socializing. Then others get an advantage with things you dislike such as potions and the like, or enchanted items. You'd be seriously screwed in PvP.
10/06/2011 7:29 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
minecraft_247
1.8 multiplayer server.......
10/06/2011 8:03 pm
brandman
Once 1.9 is out then there will be barely any 1.8 servers, and the ones there will be will be very small/not that great.

StChristmassMinecraft is nothing close to Realistic like it used to be..

Okay ik this, don't exactly want it to be exactly like real life, I've stated this before... just saying when is enough with the fantasy.

StChristmassWant it realistic?

Not really.

StChristmassuse the Realism pack By Scuttles

But I like the original texture better.
10/06/2011 6:03 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
minecraft_247
if you want realism, go outside, thats as real as it gets... after a while you will realize that realism sucks, just check out a game called "Penn & Teller's Smoke and Mirrors"
that is the most realistic game ever made, you drive a bus from tucson to las vegas at 45 mph, it takes 8 hours and you cannot pause the game or save the game.
10/06/2011 4:27 pm
IBloodstormI
lol, Nothing has ever been remotely realistic about Minecraft. You dig out perfectly square blocks with your hands and tools, then place them back to make blocky buildings. You eat food to heal yourself, zombies and spiders and skeletons spawn at night to kill you. The list goes on, and that's just the stuff that has been around well before they started adding in The Nether and potions and enchantments.

The game was always meant to be a fantasy game with adventure and RPg elements, but instead of completing everything and then releasing it, they released it in its early form and kept adding to it. It was never meant to be nothing more than a flashy Lego set. It has always been meant to gain more of these elements that make it far more a game.

So it has things that actually exist in it, so does 99% of fantasy games out there. The fact is, you don't have to mess with any of it, if you're idea of Minecraft is building and mining, then turn the game to peaceful, and just never bother making a Nether portal or enchantment table or brewing stand. You will never have to deal with the "unrealistic" elements of Minecraft that way.

You can still play Minecraft any way you choose. Everything that has been added can be avoided in its entirety in one way or another. That's the beauty of Minecraft; it is still, and always was, whatever you make of it.
10/06/2011 3:59 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Dragon
carvine1
the game is a little off topic now, but minecraft is still minecraft, the blockenessy of minecraft will be in the hearts of all minecrafters
10/06/2011 3:55 pm
Level 28 : Expert Mountaineer
GrizzlyAmish
There's been a lot of complaints (a long while ago when the game was dry) that there wasn't much else to do in the game.
Like Boomer said, you can't please everyone, but I welcome these additions.

You can always play the game without even having to use potions.
They exist in game, but you can play without ever having to make them. Same with redstone, you can play without having to use it. Back when I first started playing, I had no idea how to use redstone. It was just junk that I ended up collecting and disposing of in the lava trash bin later.

I like the hunger bar because it add's a bit more survival aspect to the game. It would be really nice if we were given the option to turn off hunger, though, or have it turn off when playing on peaceful.

I'm still kinda iffy on the NPC's. They'll need more work.

I'm really glad that they're going back to the Nether and adding more to it. Back when it first came out, it was cool to go to, but there wasn't much that could be done.
10/06/2011 3:54 pm
Level 22 : Expert Cake
Osxar
I agree. But I was just as sceptic to the 1.8 update aswell, with new mobs and villages I thought MC was going to be too much. I was wrong. The 1.8 update was better than I thought.
We can't acuse the product before it's finished. So let us not acuse 1.9 before it's finished.
10/06/2011 3:49 pm
Boomer
I think anything is welcome in minecraft as you can't please everyone with anything.
10/06/2011 3:48 pm
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
Noble66666
I think the hunger bar ruined some bits of minecraft
Its good for role play but it can be bad in mult play
Also the gravity
they should make more gravity blocks or even blocks that fly when near tnt
But HARDCORE mode is not really looking fun
10/06/2011 3:47 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
HeadHunterX11
Agreed. I think potions and spells are a bit overboard.
10/06/2011 3:46 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Sailor
IronToastBot
xJesterJoex
brandmanAnyone?

Hmm.....I personally don't like minecraft going overboard , like potions and enchantment etc , i prefer it as a realistic survival.In fact , I'm not sure i like pistons and redstone. D:

Say Whaaaat? That's silly. Redstone is actually quite similar to electrical circuts IRL. It's probably one of the most realistic elements in minecraft.
10/06/2011 3:36 pm
Level 46 : Master Droid
xMrSchmidtx
I guess it's the same argument as having a creeper in real life, or having pigs turn into zombies when struck by lightning.

It's Notch's game, and that's what he envisions for it, so I guess it's live and let live.
10/06/2011 3:32 pm
brandman
Anyone?
10/20/2011 4:05 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Taco
Ass_Kicka
I'm glad to hear that someone else feels this way. I think little unrealistic things like creepers and pink sheep are fine. But I really don't like the idea of potions and enchanted tools. Also, I can't stand mooshrooms. Cows with mushrooms on top? It just makes no sense and has no relevance. I don't mind (and sort of enjoy) the fantasy element of other dimensions like the Nether (e.g. Ghasts and Zombie Pigmen) and the End (e.g. Enderdragons and ugliness), but I really think the overworld should stick to being realistic.
10/06/2011 3:37 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragonborn
xJesterJoex
Hmm.....I personally don't like minecraft going overboard , like potions and enchantment etc , i prefer it as a realistic survival.In fact , im not sure i like pistons and redstone. D:

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome