The Shadow Over Spectria - Minecraft horror story

Delseyrian's Avatar Delseyrian3/17/17 10:53 pm
1 emeralds 275 3
7/29/2017 11:52 am
Delseyrian's Avatar Delseyrian
This story was written by me as an inspiration from the Spectria town I have on my server on drpg.us.to:25566
A movie will be made out of it soon in minecraft!
Hope you enjoy it, feedback is appreciated.

Summary; Set in a medieval world, a group of old friends venture into the ruins of an abandoned town, unaware of what lurks in the shadows.

Click to reveal
I often pay the graveyard a visit wondering why I'm still alive instead of being down there, there has to be a good reason as to why my life was spared that day. I have absolutely no idea why I'm writing this but it makes me feel better and helps me to forget what I've been through.
I'm still unsure whether it was all a dream or not.. Am I losing my sanity? It can't be a dream because these gravestones are real, my friends under them are real... I won't be able to keep what's left of my sanity any longer, I must visit that place again and figure everything out. I believe I know what the source is and I have to destroy it before it causes any other causalities.
I'm writing this to share my horrifying experience with you, as by tomorrow's night I may be no more. As you flick through these pages you will realize that I was a victim of supernatural evil, Even though I was the only survivor yet I feel as if I was the only victim. I feel as if my body is decaying slowly each time I think about the events I've experienced. I can not bear the torture any more and I must put an end to this.

I do not recall distinctly when it all began, I believe it was a couple months ago when a friend of mine stepped into the general store where I was working and bought a few ropes, torches, backpacks and a local map. I was a bit curious and asked him why he's purchasing such items and he replied saying that he gathered a group of old friends and will explore the ruins of Spectria.
Spectria was a town that fell into abandonment and disrepair when all of it's residents mysteriously left all their personal belongings and structures and took what they could carry and set out a trip to Arvendale, However they never made it there. A trading caravan that was heading to Vallenheim found them dead near a maple tree. The mysterious circumstances that lead to the residents death raised many unanswered questions. The caravan leader said that all the bodies had their heads decapitated and missing, except one body which was of a woman and had fresh roses surrounding her. The caravan leader reported this incident to the king of Vallenheim and the king sent some guards and scouts to investigate the incident, his investigators speculated that the butcher, Krevon, had murdered everyone during their sleep and proceeded to cut their heads, then carried them to his shop back in Spectria.
Because of such conclusion, the king sent twelve of his finest men with proper equipment to keep them safe, nine of them returned to tell the horrifying story. As they were going to Spectria one of them fell inside a ravine and died immediately, when they arrived another guard dropped on the floor and died for no apparent reason. And another one mysteriously disappeared when they found the shop. They all claimed smelling a rotting stench in the air coming out of the shop which caused nausea for a while, They went inside and found out that the shop was empty, however one of the guards opened a trapdoor that led to the basement where the butcher used to prepare his meat and found what they expected, a pile of thirty four rotting heads were found stacked on each other, as they were staring at the disgusting scene they heard a loud slam caused by the door and the sound of footsteps followed the slam. They immediately ran back up with their swords drawn out and there stood Krevon with a bloody meat cleaver in his hand, They all claimed that a strong feeling of unease dreaded them and caused them to freeze in this position while watching in terror as the butcher raised his cleaver towards his head and shouted " There is no escape " in a slow, low pitched demonic voice then slaughtered himself. After that event the king ordered to seal the butcher's shop and barricade it and disallow anyone from visiting Spectria.
I was pretty excited because I always admired exploring, and exploring the ruins of a city that was abandoned for over five decades was more of a challenge than an adventure, I asked him whether I could go with them and he accepted my request. I was quite happy at that moment and we both agreed o keep our plans a secret, so I told the shop owner that I was going to camp at a remote forest with some of my old friends and he had no problem with it as I never took a day off since I began working, However I had to inform my pertinacious sister, Mary, about the trip. After an hour of persuasion she finally decided to agree and promised me not to tell anyone else. I was more than happy to finally get a break from my phlegmatic life try something out of the ordinary.
Darius, my friend, was king enough to pay for the extra tools I required. He was always a philanthropic type of a person. I appreciated what he did and removed my white apron and closed the shop to follow him home and help him deliver the items as they were a bit heavy for one person to carry, We split up to avoid drawing attention to us and met ten minutes later at his house, He had a small sized house that contained only necessary furniture. When I went inside his house I found two males sitting at a table. Darius introduced them as Aurnius and Vildron. Aurnius was a jumpy type of a person and he was pessimist. I always wondered why he was coming with us but I didn't wish to hurt his feelings. Vildron was a tough archer that took part in the great Arxenian war, he's a precise and careful archer and a talented hunter, Darius explained that Vildron will offer us protection and food in return of joining our trip as he liked exploring.
After a while of chatting and introductions, a woman came out of the kitchen holding five empty bowls and placed them gently on the table then went back inside and came back with a pot full of soup, Vildron stood up immediately and helped her put the pot down on the table and Darius introduced her as Helga. Helga had an astonishing appearance. She was the epitome of beauty. When I saw her I couldn't get my eyes off her and she smiled at me. Darius understood that I liked Helga when I saw her and told me later that she was single.
When we finished dinner Helga went back to the kitchen to cook some packaged meals for us to use in the trip, so I followed her to offer assistance and get to know her better. We kept exchanging information and my interest about her grew deeper, We were friends by the end of the day and I was satisfied with that achievement.
Darius told everyone to come back at four in the morning and then we left to get some sleep, tomorrow was sure the big day.
When I went back to Darius' house next morning Vildron and Helga were there, Vildron had a good amount of arrows and his bow and Helga had finished cooking the meals we were taking and packaged them, Aurnius and Darius arrived thirty minutes later and we were ready to depart. We left the house and went to the south gate to find it closed, but it wasn't much of a problem as everyone was still asleep so we went to the northern gate and circled around the castle as Spectria was south-bound, While we were walking by the eastern side of the castle we ran into an old man with long white hair and a long white beard, He had an awkward shaped spruce stick so we assumed that he was a wizard. He stared at us then spoke two words and left. We wondered why he said such words and thought he was insane so we didn't pay much attention to what he said. Little did we know that " Don't go " served as a warning instead of a joke, and no one realized that fact before it was too late.
We continued our journey until we reached Spectria after an hour, We stood for a while glaring at the spectacular scene ahead, we saw multiple houses that gave up to the dust, vegetation and air conditions, We felt a rush as we continued walking slowly and advancing in the town and I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that this was once a busy and full of life town and it simply died with it's residents.
We approached the first abandoned house and stood on it's creaky old wooden porch and Darius noticed that the door was open ajar, Vildron motioned him to wait and took an arrow out just in case we get a warm welcoming by a wild animal, but luckily the house was empty. We all went inside except Aurnius who insisted to wait outside as he didn't feel comfortable exploring that house. We all knew Aurnius so we didn't bother convincing him and went inside without him, The house was neatly organized as if no one had visited it since it was abandoned except the dust. The house was rather sordid and lacked good furniture and wasn't spacious either. We decided to leave and move on, We came outside and noticed Aurnius staring at the blacksmith's window, We called out for him but he didn't respond and we were worried about him when we approached him. I stood in-front of him and his face was covered in genuine fear expressions, he was staring through me when I stood in-front of him. After a second or two he closed his eyes and fell unconscious. Vildron, Helga and Darius ran towards him to help him but we couldn't do much so we waited for him to wake up. After half an hour Vildron said that he will go hunting and after a while he came back with a baby pig and told Helga to set a fire and asked Darius to slaughter the pig, however as soon as the pig saw Aurnius on the floor it became furious and started running away, Darius and Vildron ran after it and I was watching them while Aurnius was supposed to be laying on the floor behind me, Once Darius and Vildron were out of sight I turned around and Aurnius wasn't this. At this point I didn't know what to do so I just sat down and waited for the others to arrive, Helga arrived with the dry wood and wondered where Aurnius, Vildron and Darius were. I explained what happened but she didn't say a word and I could tell that she was scared and shocked. Darius and Vildron came back empty handed after a while and wondered where Aurnius is, upon explaining Darius suggested that we go back to Vallenheim but Vildron refused to leave without Aurnius and demanded looking for him immediately. We spent all day shouting and searching every house for him but it was in vain, it was as if Aurnius had vanished into thin air.
It was almost night time and we were extremely exhausted after searching for Aurnius, I spoke to Vildron and consulted him about this situation since he was the most experience one between us and he suggested that we make a fire and camp for the night and hope that Aurnius comes back.
We all slept but I woke up in the middle of the night and felt a strange feeling of unease, I felt as if a predator was stalking me and I was the prey, I checked my pocket watch and found out that it was two in the morning, I could hear nothing but the chirp of crickets and suddenly a nauseating shriek shattered the peaceful silence and everyone else woke up, Vildron immediately took his bow out and did his best to shroud his fear of the unknown, He ran towards the direction where the terrifying scream came from and we followed him.
Then we froze and sickness conquered us when we saw Aurnius' decapitate head on the floor, Helga gave up and had to vomit after seeing such scene. Darius took a piece of cloth from his pocket and covered the head with it.
I believe that this was the last straw for both Helga and Darius and I couldn't blame them, neither could Vildron who just stood there doing nothing but staring at us. I guess he was trying to comprehend what was going on but it was near impossible for a regular man to understand the continuous un-explainable events. It wasn't until Darius took out his knife at looked at me saying that we're all doomed and that there's no escape from this and said that he's sorry for ignoring the warnings and bringing us here despite the consequences that he knew would occur, These were his last words before he stabbed himself in the chest and committed suicide.
We were living a nightmare and our minds were invaded by a devastating fear, It was time to get out of this place. Vildron took Helga's hand and guided us towards an abandoned cave, We sheltered there for a while and came up with a plan to escape the cursed place. On our way out of the cave we saw the butcher. He was standing there, literally staring through me and grinned from ear to ear in a menacing way, Vildron took n arrow out and aimed at the butcher with his bow then shot the arrow. Last thing Vildron saw was the butcher holding the arrow in his hand then disappearing right after. Soon enough, Vildron realized that the arrow had penetrated his chest. He looked down at his fatal wound, dropped the bow and then lurched backwards and fell into the melting rocks and magma. We heard his blood curdling scream when he collided with the burning lake of magma, It was such a horrible end for our friend and guardian, Helga and I immediately realized that we've also reached our end so we sat down for about five minutes looking at each other and our only companion was the infinitely growing silence that no one dared to violate. I decided to take Helga by her hand and had another crazy idea of running away from the haunted town. We both knew that we will be vulnerable to death as soon as we step out of this cave but we didn't pay much attention nor care to that, all we hoped for was to get out of Spectria. Once we got out of the cave we sprinted towards the old destroyed bridge and when we passed it I heard a malicious laugh coming from Spectria. At that time I didn't stop or look behind me, My mind pushed my body to the limits and I sprinted to a point where my legs couldn't carry me anymore, but that didn't stop me from running as I knew that the moment I'll stop to rest I'd be dead. Then I realized something, I realized that I forgot about Helga. How could I forget about her? What have I done? Questions didn't stop flowing into my head until I heard another laughter and turned around to see the butcher next to Helga, the same malicious grin was printed on his face. I watched in terror as he swung his cleaver around and took Helga's life. I felt as if my own life was taken from me, a part of my soul was devastated. I was a wreck.
I dropped a tear and turned around and continued running then I tripped over something and fell down. My legs were extremely tired and I couldn't stand up, I was about to faint and I remember closing my eyes for a second and when I opened them again the butcher was right on top of me, his grin turned into a smile as he looked at me and laughed hysterically at me. That was my last encounter with him, last thing I remember is closing my eyes again and giving up to my extreme exhaustion and finding myself later on a stranger's bed.
I was apparently saved by a local brewer that was gathering some herbs to make a potion and found me collapsed on the grass. He said that he thought I was dead but when he inspected me closer he found out that my heart was still beating, he took me home and offered me some mushroom soup when I woke up and he said that I slept for two days. I ate the food and thanked him then left his place and headed for mine.
Here I am, writing my experience down. At first I thought it was some sort of a nightmare, a trick that my mind was playing on me. But I couldn't find any of my friends that took part in the journey no matter how hard I searched for them. I also thought about telling the king himself about it but I dared not to do such a thing as I realized that I would be rewarded with an execution for disobeying a royal order. I told Mary about what happened and she thinks that I'm insane. but who am I to question her? all I can question is what's left of my sanity. Many questions came up to my head and I had little to no answers nor explanations to answer them. Though, One question remained a mystery in my mind. Why am I still alive? It sure is more a curse than a blessing. No one can bear the suffering I'm experiencing daily. The shop owner I was working for had to let me go because I wasn't concentrating properly anymore and showing lack of sleep. and he was right, I am no longer myself. The recent events had a great impact on my life and turned it a hundred and eighty degree. I see a different person when look at myself in the mirror, All because of that doomed butcher.
I'm going back to Spectria to burn his miserable place down. I feel that this is the only way to bring peace back to my troubled self. I feel truly sorry for the families of those who ventured into the darkness with me. I know that they are going through an inconsolable grief but I give them my condolences nonetheless.
Mary, If you are reading this I hope you realize that I love you from the deepest area of my heart. And nothing will hold me back from going there again, I will not come back home if I'm done, If I survived the aftermath of my actions I will find a place far away from home so I can finally live alone. In peace and solitude. I hope you understand my intentions and future actions.
Good bye.
Delseyrian
Level 24 : Expert Network