The *wrong* use of the term "Developer"

TreeOfYew's Avatar TreeOfYew9/24/14 7:51 am
1 emeralds 1.2k 38
9/30/2014 10:17 am
Craftable Danny's Avatar Craftable Danny
Ok so I have been around PlanetMinecraft for a good while now, just made an account.

So I keep on seeing these threads, they ask for a "Developer".

Being a bukkit Dev myself and looking for a place on a server who has Ideas I checked.

And it seems people are under what i see is a misconception of the word "Developer"

A Developer in the sense of the online Multiplayer community on MineCraft is someone that can create custom plugins in Java using the Bukkit API.

From what I can see people think that someone that Manages plugins is a Developer.

What you are looking for my friend is a Plugin Manager.

You are not a Developer

You are a Plugin Manager.

Comprende?

I don't mean for this post to seem aggressive or hostile, I just want to put out the notice, if you think I'm wrong feel free to reply to this thread:)

I made this because I found it frustrating that the word Developer is undermined, It takes some decent ability to create a good plugin using the Bukkit API and minipulating functionalities.

The wrong use of the word just frustrates me, but thankyou for reading this

Thanks.

- Yew
TreeOfYew
Level 15 : Journeyman Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/30/2014 10:17 am
Level 42 : Master Batman
Craftable Danny
I like this post. I agree. I get annoyed when I want a developer and end up getting one who doesn't make plugins. I always ask them, "so configuring perms and such is developing?". Good topic.
09/30/2014 10:08 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Dragonborn
luigi_vampa
Same thing with gamemodes. I've seen lots of ads for servers advertising all their wonderful game modes when in reality they've got the same as everyone else.
Survival, Creative, etc are game mode not Factions, PvP or whatever.
09/30/2014 10:15 am
Level 42 : Master Batman
Craftable Danny
We don't advertise "gamemode" we advertise "plugins". I never said bending was a gamemode. Or PVP was a gamemode. We are advertising what we provide. So what you are saying is, "Join now!". That's going to get people. xD
09/30/2014 10:00 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Dragonborn
TreeOfYew
Oh wow, first post I ever made and only just realized it got this many replies thanks guys
09/25/2014 8:24 am
Level 26 : Expert Zombie
Halorules555
As a Grammar Nazi this infuriates me! I was not aware of such a lack of understanding for a word everyone should know.
09/25/2014 8:18 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
Azie
sigurd4i thought this was obvious enough for most people, but iguess not... xD

I can't tell you how many times I've been stalking people in Server Hall and someone asked for a dev and someone else says "I'm a dev!" and when they're asked about creating a plugin...

"Oh, I can't code, but I can do your configs."

^ this.
09/25/2014 7:54 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
DarkMines
lel, that would generate an error that there is no main method, also that code is undefined without a class
09/25/2014 6:51 am
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
Absolutely agree, although I think the term "Server Developer" might be applicable as it involves setting up a server. Maybe that's what people are wanting? Dunno, just throwing something out there.

And in reference to a post earlier on, I think a Resource Pack Developer is correct. It takes a lot of work and it requires continued maintenance and updates.
09/25/2014 6:16 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
iMurder
This post.. Yes.. I am glad this came into existence.

I do hope a lot of those people who confuse the 2 terms see this..
09/24/2014 6:26 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
10Andrew
TreeOfYew

You are not a Developer

You are a Plugin Manager.

I made this because I found it frustrating that the word Developer is undermined, It takes some decent ability to create a good plugin using the Bukkit API and minipulating functionalities.

WHAT?!?! You trying to say Plugin Managers aint no good, DAWG

Nah just kidding. I don't do either and have absolutely no clue what I'm doing here. Just wanted to use the word "DAWG" in a post.
09/24/2014 5:27 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
LowFat
Sadly this is true with most actual developers as well. Just because you can YouTube a few tutorials, and create a decent plugin without even knowing how it works doesn't make you a "professional developer"
As a lead Dev on a network I have to sort through all those terrible applications.
And the worst is those who know bukkit, not java.
09/24/2014 5:06 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Toast
ShadowCatEXE
Idk how many times I tell people to change their topic name because it says .. "Need a developer" when they are really asking for a plugin manager..
09/24/2014 5:27 pm
LowFat
Hey epic
09/24/2014 4:14 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
When I first joined pmc, this is what all the server owners were looking for, not devs, idk how the name got changed, but it did I guess :3
09/24/2014 3:41 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
When people look for server developers, they're typically looking for people to set up the server and configure plugins and settings. While a better name for a position like this is (as others have said) administrator or operator, the person is still developing the server. He/she is preparing the server for launch and is continuing to maintain it as time goes on. They aren't developing anything for the server, but rather they are developing the server itself.

It's like referring to all staff members as "moderators." While it is true that they all moderate to some extent, each position has its own specializations.
09/24/2014 1:35 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Engineer
minecraftian2424
I agree and understand you. It's just overused, people think they are developers for downloading a few plugins.

I find it kinda annoying like you do.
09/24/2014 1:30 pm
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
print("Hello World")

Im the bestest develyoper there ever wes
09/24/2014 5:45 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Grump
MonarchOfMadness
Best coder ever...
Someone give this man a medal!
09/24/2014 1:33 pm
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
That would generate a RuntimeException silly. It's System.out.println().
09/24/2014 5:40 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Button Pusher
deathcrest5
Oooooh burrrrrrn!! High five for knowing java

class Something{
If(pixelpony = java){
system.out.println("highfive brotha!");
}
}
09/24/2014 5:56 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Toast
sigurd4
Dude, you gotta put it in a function or the constructor... It was close, though.
It would also make more sense if there was a string list, knownLanguages, or something like that, in pixelpony which is an instance of Person. You would have to find the string "java" in it in order to print "highfive brotha!".
09/24/2014 6:20 pm
LowFat
Also capital s for system and double equals for comparing.
09/24/2014 3:32 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
Golden Vortex
That is the most complicated piece of code I have ever seen...

Just kidding! You didn't think I was serious did you.

Oh.

You did.
09/24/2014 3:23 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
planetminecrafter52342
I think he was talking about Lua

Lua:
print("Hello world")
Java:
System.out.println("Hello world");
PHP:
echo "Hello world";
Me:
SHOUT "FUS RO DAH!";
09/24/2014 5:43 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Button Pusher
deathcrest5
Omg there is programming language called me!!

Lol
09/24/2014 5:44 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Ninja
Afootpluto
There is a language called "lol code".
09/24/2014 12:09 pm
planetminecrafter52342
Azie

I can't tell you how many times I've been stalking people in Server Hall and someone asked for a dev and someone else says "I'm a dev!" and when they're asked about creating a plugin...

xD so true.
09/24/2014 12:04 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie

09/24/2014 11:53 am
planetminecrafter52342
And same thing when people say "Professional graphics" or something, when they don't have a university degree. Professional is only suppose to be used when you are trained for a certain area.

Like I am a programmer, but not a professional programmer since I do not have a degree. Sometimes you can even clearly see that they're not professional graphics.
09/24/2014 1:48 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
Europia79
To me, professional means that that's what you do as a living: That's your job.

"Professional artist" means that's your job.

"Professional developer" means that's your job.

Regardless of if you have a degree or not.
09/24/2014 1:42 pm
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
So from your logic someone who learned programming on the internet but can do more things than a person with a degree in programming, he wouldn't be considered "professional" but the one with the degree would? Even though they both have extensive knowledge of programming.

I think you need to check up what "Professional" means, it means an experienced and skilled person in their profession. You can be a professional web developer by learning coding languages of the internet as long as you are experienced and skilled in coding you are a "Professional" at your profession. In this case Web Developing.
09/24/2014 3:33 pm
planetminecrafter52342
Professional adjective
"1. of, relating to, or connected with a profession"

Profession
"1. a paid occupation, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification."

Yeah, It's more of an opinion, but a profession has a formal qualification, meaning they have official training from a university, or a course. People still use professional on things that are not close to what people define/think is "Professional".

Personally, If I were to hire a "Professional Programmer" or "Professional Graphic artist" I would want to hire someone who has a university degree. So they know what they're doing completely, with the proof of the formal set standards of university.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying people with more experience knowledge of a field is not "professional". My point was to basically say that people around forums using Professional, that have no formal degree or standards in a field are misusing it.
09/24/2014 12:01 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Ninja
Afootpluto
Not all professional programmers have a degree.
09/24/2014 10:47 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
World of Atlas
And then there are also people called System administrators
09/24/2014 8:14 am
Level 38 : Artisan Lumberjack
mcjared
haha so true. I actually need a plugin dev if you are interested i would be paying. add my skype jaredmccombs
09/24/2014 8:11 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Toast
sigurd4
i thought this was obvious enough for most people, but iguess not... xD

ey! dont forget forge! and does making resourcepacks make you a developer too? you dont need to work in bukkit to be a developer...
09/24/2014 8:05 am
Level 23 : Expert Toast
zute6
His got a point you know.
What's your name of bukkit?.
I wanna check out your plugins
09/24/2014 7:59 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Aminoque
Amen.
Planet Minecraft

Website