Is this what minecraft(and servers) is now?

Neptune_Sage's Avatar Neptune_Sage4/22/15 3:43 pm
4/24/2015 9:42 pm
Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox
So yeah, recently we opened our server and well it was fine UNTIL we posted it on PMC. Since I posted it on PMC only players I get are "can I get stuff", "if no free rank I wont stay", "do you need staff", "your server sucks *leaves*", "*joins, spins around, leaves*" and such players, no actually real players like in older days who appreciated an well made server and would stay and have fun. If maybe those few seconds players would stay for few more seconds if they didn't red the description of server about what it is so we can explain to them they WOULD maybe stay, so I would like to know whats your situation and opinion on server now days?
Neptune_Sage
Level 17 : Journeyman Hunter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/24/2015 8:45 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
m3thew
its not about a minecraft replacement.
those ppl just make it impossible to post servers on PMC
04/24/2015 9:42 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Nah, it's possible, it's just...you have to prepare to catch the wave and whittle it down until it's filtered. This kind of massive influx of terrible players would break the heart of a lot of casual server owners looking for a new chapter in their life. Only some are willing to wait patiently and control.
04/24/2015 7:37 pm
Neptune_Sage
I don't think there will be a game that will replace minecraft (for few years more for me) as I tried many many games and many many kinds of games and I just somehow cant get "addicted" to playing them as I am with minecraft. Minecraft although getting (my personal opinion) boring each day more and more still cant stop it playing. Only game that caught in my eyes is Skyforge. I hope it will be good as they promise, oh and Black Desert as well.
04/24/2015 7:22 pm
Level 43 : Master Skinner
Phetagorah
Although the server I have a staff position in isn't posted here in PMC, there are still those, call it as you may, "kids". PMC itself has over 1million members and whole lot more, but the people who bought Minecraft are at 19,319,690+. Don't expect that theser are all mature people. It's very unavoidable and it's likely the "kids" will never go extinct since everyday, Minecraft is being bought by any person in any age.

I also get threats by the "few seconds" players if they are not made staff. I don't comply to their wants though.

I agree with the fact that this is how MC server are right now. There are only few who aren't affected by the future. Well, it's inevitable that the old cannot be replaced by the new.
04/24/2015 6:56 pm
m3thew
Snowyfox

You're not addicted. I was the most active person in my servers; was active for every evening all the way, played in the mornings some times too. I was pretty much in my servers all the time. I didn't even have fun, it was just my daily routine. It's not addiction. I had no thrill, not much reason either. I was just doing my job. Are you saying that people who work are addicted to working? Nope. It's just another thing they consistently do, and are used to.

>>this
04/24/2015 6:37 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
Wholesome_Thomas
SnowyfoxNever say that "I don't think I'll ever stop playing Minecraft".
That's a lie to yourself, and you know that.
Everyone will eventually stop playing, even if it's currently part of their daily routine.
It's just another stage of life. Give it a few years.

I agree. Dead people don't play minecraft at all.
04/24/2015 4:18 pm
Level 43 : Master Pixel Painter
PixelFury
Yeah sorry for the something percent guys that tend to ruin the minecraft community. But don't let that stop you from playing Minecraft!
04/24/2015 4:51 pm
Neptune_Sage
I don't think ill ever stop playing minecraft as sadly to say it became lets say my daily routine, if I don't play minecraft a bit I just I don't know, even thou I don't want to play it I go on server and chat. Its hard to explain addiction :S
04/24/2015 6:36 pm
Snowyfox
You're not addicted. I was the most active person in my servers; was active for every evening all the way, played in the mornings some times too. I was pretty much in my servers all the time. I didn't even have fun, it was just my daily routine. It's not addiction. I had no thrill, not much reason either. I was just doing my job. Are you saying that people who work are addicted to working? Nope. It's just another thing they consistently do, and are used to.

Eventually, you just leave. You may not feel it now, but eventually you'll find something that's more interesting to do. That's not necessarily "read a book, go out with friends, do schoolwork". It's not necessarily anything cliche. Sometimes you find something else on the internet to occupy yourself with.

Never say that "I don't think I'll ever stop playing Minecraft".
That's a lie to yourself, and you know that.
Everyone will eventually stop playing, even if it's currently part of their daily routine.
It's just another stage of life. Give it a few years.
04/24/2015 12:25 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Explorer
RenegadeRad
So true it hurts...
04/24/2015 12:12 pm
m3thew
@Neptune_Sage u prove to yourself dat ur da man.
04/24/2015 11:56 am
Neptune_Sage
m3thewi just can speak for myself:

im 29y old and IDC about kiddies whos wanna proof the world something-
now my point:

the serverrent is $11/month (nuttin more than change),
so ive protected my server with "worldguard".
->no grieferprobs

if anyone is rly interested in playin there is- there is a way to contact me and there is no prob in sharin "claimrights"(worldguard)..

edit:
the mainprob nowadays is:

everything is gonna happen fast-if something works not in 5 min->then next thing.
thats why imho griefing is so popular; u can damage ones work in 5 min and then leave..

And what do you get when you destroy something that someone has posted a lot of time into?
04/24/2015 8:20 am
m3thew
i just can speak for myself:
im 29y old and IDC about kiddies who wanna prove the world something-
now my point:

the serverrent is $11/month (nuttin more than change),
so ive protected my server with "worldguard".
->no grieferprobs

if anyone is rly interested in playin there is- there is a way to contact me and there is no prob in sharin "claimrights"(worldguard)..

edit:
the mainprob nowadays is:

everything is gonna happen fast-if something works not in 5 min->then next thing.
thats why imho griefing is so popular; u can damage ones work in 5 min and then leave..
04/24/2015 7:04 am
Level 44 : Master Enderdragon
aceyxx
Then you better sit tight and work hard, because sharing this problem that most server owners are experiencing isn't going to make it go away.
04/24/2015 6:42 am
Neptune_Sage
I would prefer a player base made our of nice players but at the same time to be this player count aroun 1'5.20 players on server.
04/23/2015 9:18 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1820037
[deleted]
04/24/2015 3:40 am
Neptune_Sage
I would like to leave but every time I try I get back to minecraft, some how I cant get addicted to others games as I am to minecraft.
04/24/2015 5:48 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Scribe
Skaldas
Well I'll put it down to you nice and simple. First off, one of the biggest reasons that I continue to play on my server is the pure fact that I enjoy doing it. I could care less on how much it costs and the results I get from posting it on the PMC page. I think the issue is here is that you're too focused on getting players or that you're just annoyed that players aren't staying to play on you server (which is basically the same thing I said earlier.). We all get it, randoms join, they're jerkish, whatever. It's happened to all of us who's replied in this thread. However, as I "jokingly" suggested, how Jamen informed, and along with snowyfox informing, you just gotta move on.

Which would you prefer?
a playerbase full of randoms who are total jerks or people out to just get ranks?

or

a playerbase full of people who are generally active in your community, follow the rules, and help others, etc.
04/23/2015 9:18 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Artist
DuskRaine
m3thewive dried out an oceanmonument, built a zombie exp farm and a small irongolem farm.
i listet my server one day on PMC
->griefers that damged a lot

so:
backup and worldguard.
*sight*

My heart and soul just crumbles away when I see someone type as bad as this.

Anyways, for the most part, I suggest getting a program or plugin to help with the problem, like other have said. I hate how our community has come to this, but really there is nothing you can do about it.

When I started playing Minecraft, It wasn't overrun by kids. But, when I did find a kid acting immature in the game and about the game IRL, I just tried to ignore it. Because, hey, kids can like whatever they want, right? It worked out pretty well, but these past few years have been especially bad.

On Thursdays, I have to ride a late bus from my school, because I stay late. Unfortunately, it is an Elementary school bus. Apart from the constant screaming and yelling, what do I hear? 6-9 year olds fanboying over Minecraft/FnaF. It is just crazy. I honestly cant take it anymore.
04/23/2015 9:04 pm
m3thew
ive dried out an oceanmonument (http://imgur.com/a/ML1Tf#5), built a zombie exp farm and a small irongolem farm.
i listed my server one day on PMC
->griefers that damaged a lot

so:
backup and worldguard.
*sight*
04/23/2015 8:32 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
TylanderGD47
I dont get it. why are you blaming us young people? sure im one of few 'mature' ones of my group but still. ive learnt that there really is nothing to do about it. Ive hosted the same 2 servers myself (untill a new router came in and i cant get it to work like i could the last one, need help with that but im glad to no longer hve to deal with these 5-year-olds that think they are so awesome.
04/23/2015 7:27 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
What many people in this thread seem to forget is that the majority of the 'good' people are still there, they are merely being drowned out by a growing number of 6y-olds (or whatever age the average minecraft kid is). Being someone who mostly uses creative servers, I have not run into this problem as much as some of you might have (creative servers with high standards are not fun for young kids), but the basic trick is to find a community for yourself by collecting people from other communities.

Such as this one. If everyone in this thread were to join together on a private server, I'm sure you could have loads of fun with minigames, factions, SMP or whatever else you want to do.
04/22/2015 9:51 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
OfficiallBlox
Enforcing rules usually prevents this.
04/22/2015 10:11 pm
Snowyfox
From my experience, enforcing rules also apparently means kicking most people out your server. Players seem to have the idea that they can play around with the owner to make them ignore their rule-breaking or make tons of exceptions. Rules are rules. I don't know how that is apparently hard to understand.
04/23/2015 12:11 am
Skaldas
"but I'll loose players if I don't" -- The casual owner.
04/23/2015 6:41 pm
Snowyfox
Exactly. Casual server owners can't make a startup big enough to be able to ignore or appreciate tons of terrible players leaving, and usually those who are starting a small server in the first place don't have that much experience or capability to take it bigger.

So they're left with a problem; either lose players until they get only 3 or 4 left by enforcing the rules and making the server proper, or be an idiotic server owner and have a terrible userbase of 60+. For a lot of servers I've been to, the owners have clearly picked the second, in fear that they'll lose players. I'm one of the few that seem to value me and my users' sanity more...

I had a great run despite having consistently less than 10 active players. I don't see why the casual server owner is scared of this fate.
04/22/2015 9:40 pm
Skaldas
This is the one of the most commonly known central hubs for anything to do with Minecraft other then Minecraft Forums. Of course you'll experience stuff like you've described. To be honest with you, I haven't had really all that many experiences with what you've been describing. I guess everyone's experience is difference.
04/22/2015 7:02 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Scribe
LetsGoTrippin
You just have to live with it.

04/22/2015 6:04 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
There are tons of trolls or little kids wanting staff or op on PlanetMinecraft, well not only that, just in minecraft overall. Find some system for filtering this out, like I did. I suggest using AmpleChatBot, and study what the players say. Then put what the players say into the chatbot and add an answer telling them to whatever. Idk just an idea..
04/22/2015 6:31 pm
Neptune_Sage
Good idea.
04/22/2015 5:58 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Programmer
DarkEyeDragon
I basicly gave up on regular minecraft. For this reason.

I used to run quite popular Modded servers running the Technic Launcher modpacks. This was great when a lot of people played it. As only older/mature people were interested in learning the modpacks and install them. Those were great times. But now technic also seem to have kinda died, and i closed down all my servers and doubt i'll be opening any again soon.
04/22/2015 5:46 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
Wholesome_Thomas
This comes from an over-saturation of the MC server market, as it were.

These players are taking advantage of the fact that servers are having to compete for players. They're banking on the fact that desperate small server owners will comply for fear of an empty server. The owners who comply are sacrificing all hope of long-term success for a quick player who will probably move on in a week.
04/22/2015 5:27 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
devTravisPerson
I'd say that since I opened my server as a whitelisted server and made people apply, and restarting everything, the amount of loyal and dedicated players has increased greatly, and my payments and effort have been reduced to the point where I basically am like the president of a democratic online-body.

Before whitelisting and making an application, lots of jerks and trolls joined all the time. When I whitelisted I made sure only to add true friends and the other loyal players that had been here before. I even refunded some donations and didn't add some jerk donators.

Whitelisting seems the only only way to keep a server clean without having a huge staff team of no-lifers, which isn't fun anyway, and thus ruins the point of even running the server.
04/22/2015 5:32 pm
Neptune_Sage
The point is we dont want to make a whitelisted server, we want all users (those who want) to have same experience as other players on our server and to share fun together but as soon as I welcome them I am presented with a stupid question "can I be OP/Staff/mod?".. >.<
04/22/2015 5:38 pm
Snowyfox
Well, if you don't want to whitelist but still want a wide variety of players that will all have the same experience and have fun together, then I can very confidently (and partially shamefully) say that posting the server on PMC is an absolutely terrible idea. Yes, that's how Minecraft is now, especially on PMC's side. There's plenty of great players here, but they're far outnumbered by the annoying players who are desperate to get any powerful position in seconds, just to thrash the server for fun.
04/22/2015 3:59 pm
Level 27 : Expert Blacksmith
StingRay_FTW
There's over 1 million registered members on PMC, you have to expect that there are some immature people who are looking for free stuff on servers.

Smaller websites have a lower chance of that since there is a smaller amount if registered members.
04/22/2015 3:53 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I used to have a server post on our site. After adding our PMC post, we received far more people who were generally horrible, trolls, or just left within the first few seconds without saying anything in chat. I can safely and regrettably say that we got far better community members and players from other server listing sites and Minecraft Forum.

Before anyone tells me "but bad people can come from any site", yes, I know. The frequency at which we encountered these people greatly increased after listing on PMC. As a server owner at the time, that really made me not want to list the server here.
04/22/2015 3:52 pm
Snowyfox
It's normal. I think it's most concentrated on PMC, but other sites also have crappy players like that. Let the 80% filter out, then you'll have 20% left of decent players, 5% of which are good and 1% of which are polite and loyal people.

*EDIT* Posting more later, but in a rush atm.
04/22/2015 3:51 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
Minecraft has been overrun by children since it became popular in like 2012. I'm surprised how you haven't noticed this yet lol. It's been like that for a long time. As a person who's been playing Minecraft since its Alpha days, I'd love to find a server that had mature people, no staff, respectful people that don't require to be ruled over, and all those simple things that made Minecraft special.

Anyway, as much as I agree and hate the Minecraft community now, nothing is going to change it back. Minecraft is starting to become less popular now, so hopefully within time it will be back to how it used to be.
04/22/2015 3:51 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
TylanderGD47
As a server owner since 1.3.2 came out ive seen that those people just want to do stuff like that. i had my server on PMC for a few days untill some hacker-idiot joins and decides to wait untill he is admin and hacks it. From that i learned that you should only invite friends and keep it that way untill you have a good spawn-building and such then post it. doing the whole thing yourself will only let you keep people who like the same stuff you do, have a group of 5-6 friends do it so you have more than just one perspective on it.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome