We were all noobs once! Tell us your Story!

Carnage104's Avatar Carnage1042/18/12 7:26 am
1 emeralds 1.4k 180
8/7/2012 3:04 pm
_books's Avatar _books
Hey Guys,
After a period of not playing minecraft for about a month, i started reminiscing about my early days as a Minecrafter. I decided to make this thread so we can all share our stories of discovery!

It all started at my old friends house, who sadly i moved away from. He would always show me some awesome game he or hid brother had found, every time i came over. There, i discovered Battlefield 2 (and 2142), the GTA series, The Godfather, and all of the nintendo greats. But one day, he showed me Minecraft. I was warned that when i saw it i would be surprised and think it was a poor game. He told me to keep an open mind. He showed me his little world he had been working on, and then sat me down and left me to it for 30 mins. I was hooked after barely 5.

I went home and bought the game immediatley, at 1.1.2_01 Alpha! (I feel like such a veteran ) and played singleplayer for hours. i cant remember how long for, but i remember the sun was just rising when i finally stopped and went to bed. My first house was fun, it was perched atop a mountain. The noises of the creatures outside in the darkness made me jump, i got so scared at times. It was an amazing feeling for a game to onset such emotion. I was looking though the minecraft wiki, and was reading about dungeons and about a glithc where dungeons would spawn on the inside of hills. When i went back to the game, i was blessed to find one right under my house, in the hillside. I felt so pro with my mossy cobble cube i called a house. Those were the days

I couldn't get enough of minecraft, it only took me a couple of weeks to look into multiplayer. I'd wiki'd differnt types of server and i decided that roleplay servers were my kind of server. I joined one, called Australian Minecraft Roleplay. it was quite large, although as i progressed i realised that the server wasnt really doing a hugeley great job at being honest and fair. I bought my own town, which was oppressed by admins who didnt like the fact that all their redidents moved to it. I almost got moderator, until i cracked it when they decided that i would have to pay the admins to build anything. I got together with a few mates, and we burned down a tree town thing, called spirit tree. This was in the day where fire spread infinitley, and very few backup plugins and anti-griefing plugins existed, back in the early days of Hey-0. We were banned, and a month later that server shut down.

And almost immeadiatley after, the nether came out! The scariest thing ever to happen to minecraft to date. It was amazing exploring it legitematley for the first time.

I couldnt get enough. I started my own server, a proper roleplay server, AusRPCraft and became very popular. With 20 people on at any one time, i was quite proud. Sadly, after 4 months of operation, a hacker by the name of risker didnt want to play by the rules, so i banned him. He took everything, shutdown the website, took over the VPS i was hosting on, my email accounts, my facebook, my origional minecraft account (carnage104, which i now have had to buy another and use, being carnage104ii) everything. i was ruined. These days i am alot more serious about security.

And when beta came out, i launched LegitCityCraft, which so far has been running for 10 months. Sadly, i dont think i will be keeping it online much longer, as i left for a while and the community became relativley inactive. I did try and revitalise it with a new map change and Towny, but that too fell into inactivity.

I have plans for a new server, but thats a secret. Cant tell you yet.

Its been a rocky ride for me and minecraft, one that has been running strong for 1 year, 4 months, and 29 days. Approximatley. Obviously this story lacks hundreds of details. think of it as a rough overview of my minecraft history.

Now its your turn. Post a reply with your noob story! When did you start? How did you get into it? Have you done anything that made you incredibly proud? Do tell!

If you liked my story, or this theread, i wrote this up as a blog to, so please give me some sweet sweet diamonds! Or anything else :3 http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/my-noob-story-tell-us-yours/ Thanks
Carnage104
Level 40 : Master Blacksmith

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/07/2012 3:04 pm
Level 28 : Expert Ninja
_books
I started sometime before 1.2.5 and I started to fly. I didn't know how to get down, though :c
08/07/2012 3:01 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
dylanlord
When i started minecraft at Beta 1.8.1 i saw alot of dirt and tree and back then i didnt know anything about minecraft i never played classic so i didnt know how to even move but then after 1 day watching youtube videos i thought to my self its got to be the w a s d keys so then i tryed and it worked but the was stuck in a hole not know knowing how to jump or break a block so i kept watching this time 3 days of youtube videos then i heard on the video 'To Break A Block You Have To Press The Left Mouse Button' then again i spam clicked it lke crazy and i was asking to my self why wont it work then held it down and it worked then i pressed Esc and went looking at the then i changed my controls and always was on the wiki looking at minecraft recipes so i knew how to craft everything then i came across iron and i didnt know what that was cause i only thought there was stone and wooden picks in minecraft then i looked up on goggle 'List Of All Minecraft Picks' and noticed there was iron gold and diamond picks so was like what the and went back to mining and mined it then i looked up 'How To Make Iron' and i noticed that you had to put it in a furnace to smekt it so then after sevral monthes in found diamond so theres my noob story
08/07/2012 2:47 pm
Level 48 : Master Taco
kiefaber123
The first time I foud redstone, I put it down on the ground as carpet :3 then put lava on it and I thought it would keep it in, but it didn't so it burned my house to the gound
08/07/2012 2:42 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Gaunt
i used to keep clicking left click and wonder why the tree wouldn't break
08/07/2012 2:52 pm
Level 48 : Master Taco
kiefaber123
OH MY GOD SAME THING I GOOGLED FOR HOURS AND WATCHED A LET"S L IT IN <3
08/07/2012 2:39 pm
bononoz1
I was such a nOOb when I first found out about the game. But later, I found out about all the things. Not all the things though.
02/28/2012 10:20 am
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
the_soup
I built my large doghouse RIGHT next to my house. Not only were there dogs barking constantly, but I couldn't attack anything near my house because as soon as I did my 15+ dogs would all teleport to me and I'd have to spend 10 minutes on peaceful trying to put them all back. Actually, a better noob story would be that I once actually thought dogs would be useful...
03/01/2012 4:38 am
Carnage104
hahaha! i spawned 20 of them in SMP and got so pissed off! I killed them all! :S
02/27/2012 1:48 am
Carnage104
Great stories SparkelsFTw and TheLegitPenguin
02/25/2012 11:33 am
sandman_9292
i was once a noob too,i tried to collect all blocks with fists,built dirt houses and thought aggressive mobs were harmless fun,then i took minecraftwiki.net to the knee
02/25/2012 11:17 am
losre1
When i was a no0b i didn't know how to open crafting tables and furnaces etc so i filled my inventory with log and thought that was the objective of the game
02/25/2012 11:02 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Architect
TheLegitPenguin
Beta 1.5 Ftw!

My story starts, on a night when my wallet was empty, as a result of Minecraft and friends bugging me to get Minecraft

I turn on the game for the first time, thinking i'll do pretty good, since I've been mucking around with Classic for the past week, but oh was I stupid
Note to self: Classic can NOT be comapred to Survival
Entering my mountain-laid, beautifully generated world, I jump right in by... Punching Trees (how the frick does steve not get bloddy knuckles?!?), getting wood and making a full wooden tool set (did i forget to mention I had read nearly every page on the wiki 3 times over in the past week also? lol), I set off, getting ready to build my first house

As my older brothers watch in amazement, horror, and sheer WTF?ness, I decide ill show them how pro I am, and go kill a few pigs, sheep and cows to get food, wool and leather, and find a nice little cavern in the side of a mountain to camp in the first night

Collecting sand at the beach, I realise, the sun is setting already! Gotta get home!
But, of course, when I panic in Minecraft, Short-Term Memory goes out the window, and I was lost

Quickly scurring across the landscape, in a time without Sprint, I start to see chaos spawn at my very feet, and quickly dive into my lakefront cavern property, barricading myself in with Cobblestone and Wooden Doors (at a time when you could attack thru the little holes in doors, and monters could also)

Having watched my fair-share of the Yogscast, I knew to absolutly, positively DO NOT go outside in the night, so I crafted a bed, and slept the night

After having an amazing dream (which my character sadly dosnt remember D: ), I spin around to make sure nothing creeped into my dwelling and woke me up, after deciding it was safe...

"UUUUUUgggggghhghhhhhhhhrrrgllllleeee"

Jumping in my seat, and nearly peeing myself, I quickly gather my things and get the heck out of my cavern (later realising that the zombie was probably just somewhere in the mountain, and not in my humble abode), And then build a house in the side of a mountain, the old fashioned way

I gather glass to put on the side of my doorway, as a creeper detector, but the sun sets again, and I must quickly try and remember where the heck my house is, and I rush in, place my bed, and again, Sleep through the horrors

Aaahhh, peace atlast, after waking up, I decide Ill gowatch the sunrise, as a sucessful first play of the first 2 nights without dying gets under my belt

But, I never placed the glass
And the creepers thought they would teach me a lesson
my whole 2 days of my life flash before my eyes, as I get greeted by the lovely &E0, and quickly respawn to reobtain my items, directly outside my shack.

But creepers like friends, and this one seemed to bring one along
SSSSSSSSSSSS.... BOOM!

And thats the (abriged) story of my noob days :3

Mabey ill post the rest in a blog later

EDIT: also, Carnage, If you give me the IP, i would love to become apart of your server's (small) community, im always looking for alt servers to play on
02/25/2012 10:46 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Artist
SparklesFTW
My first real time playing was with someone named Jem_Spratts. We played on Multiplayer and I was completely new. I think he was also new. It was 1.7. We were new to the server and we needed to survive together. There were tons of spawnkillers. We got out together and started exploring. When it was night we quickly hollowed out a hill. That was our home for a while, but then we needed a real home. We found out how to craft boats and we sailed for about 30 minutes. Then in the middle of the day we saw massive amounts of mobs on the shore next to us. He was ahead of me, and he said "The edge of the world!" I never found out if it was literally a fall off of the map, but I didn't want to take the risk. We went backwards a bit, boating away from the zombies and skeletons. We saw a tiny island, maybe a 10x10 square of sand. We built a house quickly and waited in there. We started gathering dirt and sand and expanded our island. Then I built my house. Then we had a farm and I learned how to farm. I remember I asked Jem when I should collect the wheat. He said something like, "Now is not the time. You must wait until you feel the wheat has truly locked in with your soul..." Which made me lol very hard. We created a mine, which almost immediately broke into a cave. We learned about the McMMO and Factions plugin together. Our faction was Isolation. We used shovels to dig all the dirt we could find in the depths of our island. Then we broke into a lava lake. Other factions hated our success. We were just 2 people on an island. We built cobblestone walls until we learned that people could make a TNT cannon. I thought we were safe because we had stone but he said that we needed obsidian to be safe from TNT. We started mass-collecting obsidian in our giant lava lake. We also decided we needed an entrance to our island so we could get to it because we didn't know about /f home yet. When I broke part of our wall to make an entrance, I saw a squid and ran away into the mine. He's like, "What? It's just a squid. They give you ink!" And I'm like "Its gonna kill me, I dont even have a sword yet!" Then he killed them. We never finished our obsidian wall, and after an ally needed my help, I tried to save him but me and Jem never saw each other again.
02/24/2012 4:49 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Artist
Cassie
When I first started back in February of 2011, I played on a pirated version of Minecraft with my friends.

We all lived in a small house that got blown up a good 10 times because we were stupid.

When I first saw redstone, I thought it was Lava... in rock form.

I had a basic knowledge of Minecraft before I actually bought it.
So that's a plus.

A year later and I'm a pro... kinda. c:
02/24/2012 7:19 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Archer
eviltictac
I remember my first day of minecraft.
Those were the days...
My first house was a hide-y hole that I made inside of a hill with water nearby. I dug out a house and made a mine but didn't find diamonds for like 3 days. Then my computer crashed and my world was lost...
I was sad.
Then I started a new world!
02/24/2012 6:22 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
sheri
hi alll iam new here and i want to know more about this website and iam from egypt Removed
02/24/2012 2:18 am
Level 38 : Artisan Grump
Doughty
i grew up drinking rainacorn blood. Automatic immunity to being a noob.
02/24/2012 1:18 am
Level 36 : Artisan Taco
Ass_Kicka
The first time I played I used a tutorial from Machinima. I couldn't figure out how they got the 3x3 crafting table so I ended up breaking a bunch of stone with my hands. When I figured out it wasn't working, I discovered that hitting sheep gave me wool (this was back in Alpha). Within 5 minutes, I'd made my house. The house was a 3 by 4 or so wall of wool... that's right–only one wall and no roof. Also, there was a forest fire in that world which mystified and terrified me.
02/24/2012 6:14 am
Carnage104
God i loved those forest fires, i was so fascinated by them! Then i realised that there was a bity of lava that had started it!
02/24/2012 12:32 am
Level 21 : Expert Nerd
r2fart2
When I got minecraft I was only half noob. Because I had played classic abit, and I've watch seananners let's play, I was able to make a house with ease. Although I did have a little trouble with finding coal. And at the time I didn't about charcoal.
02/24/2012 12:13 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
Jilln
When I was a noob... god..
I joined Minecraft around the time 1.7.3 hit, and knew NOTHING about the game other than what I had heard. I got the wood down, but it took me completely forever to find out how to make a chest, let alone a furnace. Then came finding my first diamond >_> Screwed that up big time. "Oh hay diamond, me mine...hey why didnt it give me one D:" I said...
And ohdearlord, I had about five creepers out side my house, and I went all "FOR SPARTA" on them... I didn't know what creepers did then ._. I thought they were friendly...
02/24/2012 12:07 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
TheQuagmires
When I started I started during the night and I had a small sand island. So I then dug a hole and let all the water in my hole while trying to fix it with sand. A skeleton came and shot me while I tried to punch a tree by clicking not holding I soon said "HOW DO I BREAK THE TREE!" I looked it up to find I needed to hold. So I didnt know what to do next.
02/23/2012 11:56 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Narwhal
pickle455
Mmmm. When I was a noob. I thought coal was as rare as Diamonds. Took me a hour to find a single piece of coal.
And It took me several hours to realize there isnt any mob that is a flaming worm demon. Becuse when I first started I was attacked by a skeleton and it was on fire. I felt so stupid once I realized that. xD
And it also took a while to realize you need to put wood in the crafting table to make woodenplanks..
02/23/2012 11:10 pm
Ghados
Well my friend showed me Minecraft at his house, and I got immediately hooked. I joined his server, made a nice house(All out of cobble, idk why), and we mined. I was fairly safe, had food, protection, friends to guard me, etc. But then, I got nooby. I hated my house(It was really good, i just got bored of 1.8) So I told my friend to go in creative and tnt my whole house. I didnt know the power of tnt and blew up all our houses and our inventions that took awhile, including my first redstone invention a cobble generator (I was pretty proud of it) So we might not have been noobs in the beginning, but we've all done something nooby :p. Now we have a server, plugins, all that other shit. Gonna start a youtube channel too with tips, cool gadgets, lets plays, etc.
02/23/2012 10:53 pm
voorhees177
Once, i was a noob, as i was a noob i didnt know how to build a correct house, so i just found a cave and i dont care whats inside, so then i covered the cave entrance with dirts, after that, i turned around. The next thing i knew is that i was hugging a no good exploding creeper
02/23/2012 10:47 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Taco
robo665
I was at the library. My friends were playing minecraft. I thought it was stupid. 1 year later...
02/23/2012 10:44 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Lumberjack
Mrazneb
I remember, at first I shared an account with a friend. I though it was the crappiest game ever with the "horrible graphics". I could not figure out how to jump, to place blocks, to open your inventory (for you newcomers it was i back then not e.) i was a legit noob.
Then I searched the Wiki found out about everything out and I have been attached since later alpha. I am a veteran, the rage came out in about 1.2-1.3. Then around 1.6 I got really involved in some servers. By 1.7 I got to be an admin just by playing well. Yeah, Minecraft is very fun.
02/23/2012 10:38 pm
Dragon496
no matter how far i dug i couldnt find diomand.

now i have a diamond sword+pic
02/23/2012 10:37 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Theorist
Theodor488
Minecraft is so much fun when your a noob.
02/23/2012 10:35 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
WildFox1345
when i was watching the guy playing on youtube, i saw lots of stuff everywere. i thought you would walk around and get tools to mine. i played minecraft, found out he had just died all over the place. i felt like SUCH an idiot
02/23/2012 10:26 pm
Dragon496
i kind of wasnt a noob. i got hooked on the yogscast.when i scrounged the internet for minecraft for free.its not good. i started and got angry, having notheing. so i quit.i then got back on and built this amazing house on a hillside.i then built a carnival. to bad no one got to see it but now i got my skins, many for the right thing. like chell,(portal) a fishman,chuck norris, atlas,(portal 2)and megamind,and 007 as well.veiw my thread as well please. i hope to make some skkins.as well as some heroes i made up. nice story buddy.youre good
02/23/2012 10:15 pm
tommy3736
I bought MInecraft at 1.7.3. The first thing I did was punch a tree down. Then I explored the awesome world I spawned in. I noticed it was getting dark.. I panicked and dug a hole (Diggy Diggy Hole! I'm digging a hole! ) to hide myself from the monsters. I freaked out at the sounds of monsters. Nowhere to go but down, I mined and mined, finding nothing but dirt and stone (I didn't even have a pickaxe). After several minutes, I checked for sun, and sure enough, it was day! I left my crap shack and proceded to gather more resources. Then, out of nowhere, BOOM! Dead! After that, I found out the attacker was a creeper. After that death, I wouldn't dare open Minecraft for another 2 weeks. (Peaceful mode is what brought me back) That was my first (and for a while, last) day of Minecraft.
02/23/2012 8:50 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc324534
[deleted]
02/23/2012 8:36 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
Frankeh920
If i remember correctly i built a small little house of wood but one thing that i didnt know cause it was underground was that i came across a creeper and blew a hole which led to a Dungeon but the Dungeon was a (I dont know how) but it was a Creeper Dungeon i was like WTH!?!?!? So i tried clearing it out but every couple seconds you hear a BOOM i was like come on how do i kill them then ragequited deleted the world and made a new one
02/23/2012 8:23 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Narwhal
Arhod8660
It was a awesome day me and my cousins had just one to the skate park when 0.0, the power went out. My cousins pulled out their Laptops and started to play minecraft. I wondered what it was. Me and my bro bought the game and started playing. My biggest noob moment was when I tried to make a fireplace in a wood house, And Burned it down. My first world was Awesome, I was surounded in Mountains. I built a giant mountain fort INSIDE the mountain. Then I Realized that I didnt have coal At all. So I tried to make torches with a stick, and a flint and steel
02/23/2012 4:40 pm
Level 45 : Master Musician
Xytric
my brother showed me minecraft beta 1.7.3. i laught so hard. i coulnd,t believe it. but than my friend showed it to me again and i tried.the first nigh i decidet to make a mine so i starded to mine down. when i reacht bedrock i was mining it for 10 min and than i looked up atwiki and i fond out you cant break it:p
02/23/2012 4:27 pm
Warrior5798
jk.i never took an arrow to the knee, im too beast for arrow's.ill give u a story asap
CLICK ON MY EGGIES PLEASE !
02/23/2012 4:12 am
Level 47 : Master Lad
Doggle
My first time, I got up bright and early. I first went on and just sat there for five minutes. By then I remembered that I needed to cut down the trees. When night came I had cut down half a tree and built a 2x2 house. I didnt have a door and a creeper blew a hole in my wall and I ran around for like 5mins and then rage quitted. When I next came on that afternoon I aced minecraft and made a pro 2 story building of cobble and a farm and all, I didnt even need to look at minecraft wiki I am still learning these small things like how to set up servers and stuff but, now, I am pretty much pro at everything. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!
02/22/2012 7:40 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Architect
KevyBevy
When I started playing minecraft, I researched how to start then kinda learned as I went..
My first day, I gened a new world and started exploring, but I had no idea there was time in minecraft so I went "HUH?!" And I died like a thousand times so I genned a new world and dug a hole in a hill and used that as my house. Then I got better at minecraft to where I am now.
02/22/2012 7:29 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Pig
goodpoopie
and i tried to mine diamond with my hands in a seed with a stronghold.
02/22/2012 7:28 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Pig
goodpoopie
When I was a noob, I punced trees for a long time. Then I searched it up and realised i had to hold the mouse down.I made a dark shelter, not knowing about monster spawnin. And I had to look up how to place blocks. My first server was not a noob server. I went to muttsworld pvp, lol even that was better. I figured out what greif was when I tried to mine the spawn point O__o

P.S. I was confused when i tried to mine stone.
02/22/2012 7:22 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Dragonborn
Pixelated_88
A few minutes into playing I was looking at my achievements and the next one was to get cobblestone. Well I had no idea how to get it so I googled it and I found out that you could find it near lava. I walked around for probably an hour and couldn't find any. Now of course I know you can just dig down and get the cobblestone but oh well, I was a n00b.
02/23/2012 3:58 am
Carnage104
That wiki page should be more clear....
02/22/2012 7:16 pm
Level 47 : Master Lad
ZeRacMan
Uhmm.. uhh...

First time I played Minecraft, I hit stone with my fist and wondered why I didn't get stone back.

What else...

When my friend fell into lava, he was like "TP ME TP ME TP ME!"
I laughed so hard, but then...

I fell into lava.
02/22/2012 7:12 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
Nekkidk
When i first listened to minecraft (classic) i thought it was a skydiving game but then a time after (beta 1.5) my friend started play it, he showed me it and i fell in love <3 when got home i started my computer and bought the game... so when i started, then i didn't know how to do all the stuff. so i started click on a tree. and i kept clicking until i gave up and just let the finger hold it there so the wood fell down and i holded the mouse, then the wood fell down in the dirt hole i made. so i jumped down and then "picked up" and i have watched a video about getting started. so i made the biggest house of wood i could and then builded the things i could never dream of, and i even made a giant roller coaster as the updates went... so when 1.7 came, i was bored.. and didn't had any friends to play minecraft so me and my friend (who showed me it) made posters all over the schools, after a week we made a server where everybody could get to meet eachother and we made the awesomest thing until 1.8 came.. then nobody wanted to play minecraft anymore, (unless me and some of my friends) we got on a server that was so awesome and we played there to 1.0 so that was my story.. thanks for reading
02/22/2012 6:53 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Scribe
Conner65
When i first started playing in 1.5 I disnt know what a creeper was so i asked my friends......i didnt know what it was called at the time so i said"What's that thing that looks like a giant peanus?" they told me what it was..... i didnt leave the house for 5 minecraft days! What a noob!
02/22/2012 6:45 pm
Mr_Patch
I remember Punching a wolf, And after i saw the first Zombie, I Did not play Minecraft for a while :I
02/22/2012 2:17 am
Level 39 : Artisan Toast
SoulStealer
Oh I remember those days ...

In 1.3 when I didn't know what a creeper was then I watched some YouTube videos ...

Uh the noob days.
02/22/2012 2:13 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Skinner
Batteryhorse
I played forever on Normal... I don't actually know when I started turning the difficulty onto peaceful. Anyways, first night: I found a cave in a valley. Absolutely flooded with water, but I wanted it. So I made it mine, or started to when I ran out of materials to cover the opening with. I walled myself in a 2x1 space with water for a floor and taught myself how to craft. I came out less n00bish than ever before.
02/22/2012 2:08 am
Level 36 : Artisan Architect
Doomgekkie
*Clears his throat*

It was a sunday evening, the sun shined and.... oh sorry, not a good start?
OK, I discovered Minecraft around beta 1.7, i played with my friends on his private server and after my first block i fell in love with it, but ofc.. everyone is a bit n00b in the beginning because they don't know how to craft stuff, so i was: hey wt how did you make that. He answered 'With a crafting table'
I said 'LOL, how'd you make a crafting table?'
Then the server got temporarely offline because the owner went on vacation, so i learned everything on singleplayer, including setting the 'easy' of and turn it into 'peaceful' for diamonds
Yes i know that's poor, and i still regret the boringness when you search without monsters, but the past is the past, and i'm happy now.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome