What have you hated, loved or wanted in Minecraft servers

ShadyBlues's Avatar ShadyBlues11/4/16 4:58 pm
11/11/2016 10:30 am
avrona's Avatar avrona
Hello forum, Shadyblues here

I want to know about your past experiences and opinions in relation to Minecraft servers! Might just be my opinion but Minecraft online has become pretty repetitive. Servers i use to play on have closed down and most of the new servers lack true staff dedication, community and efficiency. As a server owner i understand how easy it is to state this and how hard it can be to achieve but i want to create this thread to help me and other server staff know what people have loved, hated or wanted in past, current and future servers they play on

So please tell us

Try to devide your post in sections so they are easy to read/scan through and please try to explain why. Also, please don't mention plugins as one of the things unless it's something specific about how this server run or you wish they ran the certain plugin

ShadyBlues
Level 21 : Expert Ninja

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/09/2016 4:43 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Princess
MojangModerator
More 1.7.10 hcf servers.
11/11/2016 10:30 am
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
Not sure anyone plays such an old version anymore.
11/09/2016 3:43 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
creeperparty
1. Vanilla
2. Community
3. Trolls
11/09/2016 3:05 pm
avrona
Because they tell me.
11/09/2016 2:57 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
avrona
By what sources? I'm curious.

What do you mean by what soruces?

How do you know people not joining is a result of having a vanilla server and not other factors?
11/09/2016 2:55 pm
avrona

What do you mean by what soruces?
11/09/2016 2:38 pm
raidarr
avronaPeople still dislike it due to the bias.

11/09/2016 1:33 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
COLE WORLD
Pay2win. I love it.
11/09/2016 11:38 am
avrona
It might help if you talk more about what the gameplay actually is. Vanilla isn't on the same plane as creative and survival any more than Bukkit is equivalent to creative and survival; both are default modes within the base game.

I already do that in ads, but it doesn't change anything. People still dislike it due to the bias.
11/08/2016 3:09 am
avrona
What I hate is the anti vanilla bias. Especially since I run a vanilla, not survival or creative server, so it affects me a lot.
11/08/2016 9:35 am
raidarr
It might help if you talk more about what the gameplay actually is. Vanilla isn't on the same plane as creative and survival any more than Bukkit is equivalent to creative and survival; both are default modes within the base game.

So what is it actually? RPG, exploration, economy? Vanilla is a good twist, but it's not a selling point when you make it so good it plays exactly like a Bukkit server - then in gameplay people won't notice the difference and will be less inclined to care, by human nature.
11/08/2016 2:49 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Fish
EmbarassingOldAccount
As a player from 2011 who purchased the game in 1.1 release I can pretty much round down the fundamental building blocks of a successful server for you.

Adaptation.
Remember, make the server how the community wants it, not how you want it.

Understanding staff members.
Any 'staff' members you may happen to have need to know how people work and how to keep their cool in any situation while keeping unbiased views on any issues that may arise.

Easy navigation while visually appealing at the same time.
We get it, players like fancy schmancy spawns, but it should be noob friend and straight forward or else people may get uninterested fast by having to walk for 6 miles and go through a maze to exit spawn. Keep it compact and to-the-point yet nice. People want to play the game, not give you a paragraph on how good your spawn looks.

Be ready for anything and keep your word
Be ready for any situation, be it manipulation, drama, server downtime or anything really. Have a back-up plan for everything. And if you don't feel like you're up to the task of owning a server then don't waste people's time by making one and luring them in to get some good builds going and then suddenly close the server one day. In the case that this does happen though, for the love of god put the world up for download and tell everyone the server is shutting down at least 15 days before it does.
11/07/2016 7:22 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Hunter
ArtemisOfTheHunt
People ALWAYS grief my builds! VEN my friends! then they say, "its just a prank bro". like... WHAT!?
11/07/2016 7:04 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Procrastinator
Pionier
Hated:
The thing I've always hated the most are those servers that are p2p or p2w (pay to play or pay to win). These types of servers are annoying not for just that, but the people there act like the kings and queens of Minecraft because they can take down anyone who isn't a donor..

Loved:
One word; community. I used to play an amazing server called The Chunk, which merged with a much larger server, Cubecraft, around June (The Chunk had about 200 people on constantly, until it's final days where it dropped to 100). On The Chunk, everyone seemed to know everyone, and you could always find a friend when you needed one.

Wanted:
Friendly, interested staff. I know there are plenty of staff out there who are friendly and what not, but then there are those staff members who seem very bored, or uninterested, in what they are doing, and these types of staff don't always come out as the friendly type. Now, obviously, this may be some people's personality, which I wouldn't blame them for. But seriously, if you spend your entire life spamming Mod requests to Mineplex (or whatever) and you're finally accepted, don't seem so uninterested in it after potentially spending years to get a position.
11/07/2016 5:45 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
Awesomness3000
If most of the people here commented they want something new, then what do you usually do in minecraft, if there are almost no "unique" servers at all? That's what I'd like to know.
11/07/2016 9:47 pm
raidarr
1. Chat. Conversation with the right people can keep me on a server for quite some time if I have the open window, so to speak.

2. Build urges. I'm a builder by nature, so even though I'm not that good, I will sometimes get inspiration and means to build.

3. Roleplay. It doesn't come much in minecraft, but if it catches on to me, I'll take it.

4. Someone asks me something about servers/I get into something server related, I'll often stay to see that one thing done.
11/05/2016 12:33 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc696169
[deleted]
11/05/2016 12:04 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
MR_PROSPECTOR
I love 2B2T
There is no rules no admins.
It has amazing builds and will make you a better minecrafter.
[img][/out.reddit.com/t3_3yhco0?url=http%3A%2F%2Fm.imgur.com%2Fa%2FEmL2C&token=AQAA1GcdWOVUf5ugiJGQMebBqeHniMHbyGeqn7mCxweH1U7s53hJ&app_name=reddit.com[/img]
11/04/2016 7:04 pm
raidarr
Hated... hmm. Hate is a strong word, but I have grown quite disillusioned with server variety as a whole. Either they have a decent concept with horrible execution, a horrible concept that the execution fails to make up for, or what's usually the case, mediocre servers that play the same as any other I join. I've played on many thousands of servers, and they start looking all the same. First it was factions; I found it a fun mode for a time, then the community made me bored and they all played the same way very quickly - to the point where a "unique factions server" loses its value with me just from the word "factions". I have, perhaps unfairly, associated factions with a stigma of not being unique. There are too many factions servers for any one to stand out as unique, and I haven't found one to prove me wrong. Rinse and repeat for the next set of most common server types. I could go on and on, but this thread wasn't made in the expectation of walls of text methinks :p

What I do like is the set of people that have kept me hanging around the community, ranging from surprisingly mature 10 year olds to people in their 30's and 40's. I've met about a dozen people I can put in my "great" list, and it is they who have kept me playing MC; two own servers and are rather good at it, one of them being the builder who reinforced the fact that I'm just average in building when compared to the creativity some display :p It's that "special someone" element combined with a well polished and different feeling server that keeps me going and in some cases playing on servers. There are a few I can't call myself active by any means, but that I still have come back to or been in contact with certain people from. Servers that keep me have a special feeling to them, a form of originality that is nearly impossible to explain. I only know it's there when I have come back to the server over a month later. Usually it's servers I have put investment in, which isn't quite the same, but there are a few that I haven't done anything with that have clicked just right. I'm sorry that this doesn't actually say anything, and some servers that I can analyze and find great still don't make it to that special level.

As for what I want, well, one that has the above special something/aura and someone I can converse with to keep me coming back.
11/04/2016 5:57 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
Speaking about servers, I personally enjoy Build Team servers.

1: Only people you know come there
2: People can laugh at even the most offensive jokes.
3: It's private. No one to bother me when I'm building

And what do I hate about it?
Actually I can't hate Build servers. The only "bad" thing about them is that if you forget to set a /setwarp or /sethome at your build, you're pretty much screwed :'D
11/04/2016 5:13 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Rankthirty
I am a minecraft server owner myself, and I suppose nothing anybody says here can necessarily help me out, considering I am trying to create a unique Factions Server, I do however agree, small communities tend to be more enjoyable, and dedicated staff.
11/04/2016 5:03 pm
Level 24 : Expert Scribe
Travis
I always liked the small communities with a good (but small) team of staff, +1 if the staff knew each other irl.

As an owner myself, I know how hard it can be to maintain a good small server, but they're just the best.

As far as plugins go, you need a form of roleback and/or grief prevention. It'll make it way more fun to play if you can fix stuff that got ruined unfairly. It's also more fun to play on a server that isn't just minigames OP factions or creative, because those get boring.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome