What have you learned from moderating/owning a server?

CubeTurtle's Avatar CubeTurtle5/6/14 7:10 am
1 emeralds 1.2k 28
6/22/2014 4:45 pm
CubeTurtle's Avatar CubeTurtle
Hey,
I made this thread for experienced staff members + new staff members can use this thread to post advice/ past experiences.

So here I go:
1. NEVER advertise your server on different servers. A server did this and the server ended up getting ddosed.
2. Be caring and talk to your players!
CubeTurtle
Level 16 : Journeyman Toast

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/22/2014 4:45 pm
CubeTurtle
I agree server owning is not a piece of cake. More like a stale, fruit, cake.
06/22/2014 9:34 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Architect
_Shako
I never owned a big server, just a little Bukkit one that was open through Hamachi, and I got just a couple other players to join.

It's definitely not a slice of cake!
06/22/2014 9:06 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Archer
Robot_ninja455
Hire staff that have 1.Good Grammar 2. Great Building/ Expert Red stoning, and lastly Have skype.
06/22/2014 8:47 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
My experience (as an Moderator with OP):

Don't think you stand above anyone, make friends with the 'regular' players. If you don't, you will get bored in like 3 weeks (I have experienced this myself), because when you can do /gm 1, survival isn't fun anymore and just building... you can do that in singleplayer as well. Multiplayer is all about making friends and have fun with eachother, this goes for Mods and Admins too.

P.S
Having friends is ok, abusing your powers or giving them advantages is not!
06/22/2014 8:57 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
Yeah you are allowed to befriend the players, i am admin and op on a server.

However now comes the thing, it'll be harder for you to ban that player if he does something wrong. Since he is your friend, so myself i just decided to go by the policy to be friendly, however not actually liking them more than another player.
06/22/2014 8:06 am
CubeTurtle
Never give up, if you don't see much players on. Make your server unique as possible!
05/20/2014 6:48 pm
CubeTurtle
When getting donations make sure they agree to a terms and condition
05/07/2014 2:48 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Taco
danned11
If you are not hosting the server yourself of local then make sure you have enough stable funds for the server to stay up for a while so that you can start to get donations.
05/07/2014 2:42 pm
Level 20 : Expert Taco
HipsterFlygon
Never leave anyone OP...
05/07/2014 2:39 pm
Level 49 : Master Robot
RezzedUp
What I've learned is better server promotional graphics leads to a higher volume of decent engaged players.
05/06/2014 11:45 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Honeybear48
- Be creative
05/06/2014 10:49 am
Level 34 : Artisan Electrician
frozenintime
NetworkPCE
frozenintimeDo not hire your friends as staff, this is the far worst thing you can do!

The upsides:
-You can have fun with your friends while moderating
-Your staff is close to you in a way that means they will not betray you (probably)

The downsides (usually):
-They will act immature ingame (some of them)
-Your friendship will be used as a gun pointed at the faces of your players (kinda metaphoric)
-Players will hesitate to tell you if they have bad experiences with your friends
-It's HARD to fire a friend as it usually causes real life-conflicts.

I banned my best friend on my server for doing a huge cube of stone. It shouldn't be that hard to ban your friends.

That depends.
I'm not saying it's frankly hard for everyone to remove a friends rank/banning him or her, but for some people it is. Having a popular server these days really could make you slightly popular in real life and many takes that opportunity to make friends or strengthen friendships. If this your server is used as a "friendship provider" you're doing it wrong - That's my message
05/06/2014 10:43 am
NetworkPCE
frozenintimeDo not hire your friends as staff, this is the far worst thing you can do!

The upsides:
-Your staff is close to you in a way that means they will not betray you (probably)

The downsides (usually):
-Your friendship will be used as a gun pointed at the faces of your players (kinda metaphoric)
-Players will hesitate to tell you if they have bad experiences with your friends

I banned my best friend on my server for doing a huge cube of stone. It shouldn't be that hard to ban your friends.
05/06/2014 10:38 am
Level 34 : Artisan Electrician
frozenintime
Do not hire your friends as staff, this is the far worst thing you can do!

The upsides:
-It is easier to cooperate when you know your staff

The downsides (usually):

To be honest there's too many servers out there with owners giving out permissions and ranks to their real-life friends to be popular or other reasons. Stop this, please! It ruins what started as a good server..

(I have experienced this on my own server aswell as a server I was moderator on. 70 percent of the staff used over one month and endless time to kick out one staff member because he did not show activity nor replied to any messages/pissing people off ingame creating a bad mood)
05/06/2014 10:37 am
Level 23 : Expert Modder
some1epic123
That my PayPal gets drained with chargebacks from angry parents.
05/06/2014 11:22 am
Level 26 : Expert Nerd
Amsarian
Yup. A server I co-owned had a £100 donation, which we thought would never happen. The next day the owner checked her server email and there was a message from the kid's parent demanding a refund, and also offering her son's Minecraft account as compensation for the trouble.

Who even tells their kid their PayPal details, seriously?
05/07/2014 2:49 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Taco
danned11
Giving the kids minecraft account away god thats harsh lol!
05/06/2014 10:27 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
Jeffrey7747
- Never lose contact with your staff and let them go their own way. They will start wondering what they need to do and will start losing connection with the server.

- Keep any players you have happy, and listen to what they think that should be changed.

- Try to involve (mature) players into the moderating of a server by having decisions being made by the players.
05/06/2014 10:20 am
Level 1 : New Miner
steffansk1997
Listen to your players wishes
Do not make irl friends staff just because you know them irl
Be kind but strick, treat every player the same way
Do not troll your players
Don't install too much plugins it will make your server buggy
05/06/2014 10:17 am
NetworkPCE
1. I have learned that ddos threats normally come from 7 year old kids. (What the staff on a server i am admin on call "Skids")

2. Be patient.

3. People will always lie, no matter how much you trust them. When they are reported for hacking or anything of the kind they will most likely always lie.

4. Do not trust ANY players to get op. I mean any don't give a single player op, ever. They will abuse and then grief the server. (highly likely).

5. Don't force them to donate.

6. Be fair. I don't care if the player has donated $200, if he griefs or hacks. Ban.

-NetworkPCE
05/06/2014 10:10 am
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
Z645
I have learned. Its not fun like the old days. Back then people would enjoy the server mode. Now people flame you for not having a particular mode.
05/06/2014 9:07 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Archer
levi8george
That you don't just open, install plugins, make a map, and become as famous as hypixel.

That you need to know how to say no.

You can't bring a bad day to work.

Hire mature staff.
05/06/2014 9:03 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
Soul_Blazer
Here's a few things I've learned over the last few years of working up the chain.

- Be open to suggestions and offers of help from players/visitors.

- Pick your staff wisely and try to stay close with them. The more of a friend you are with the people you work with the easier working together gets.

- Be quick to respond to player requests/needs.

- Focus your efforts on making the player's experience on the server more enjoyable/challenging.

- Create content that you would like to see and take suggestions from others to make it universally accepted.

- Attend to applications swiftly.

- A short temper or minor argument can lead to major consequences for the server.

- Being an iron fist makes for a long lonely journey.

- Plan and make events ahead of time. Short ones are fine, but long events with lots of content brings people in and keeps them around.

- Advertising your server is important. Just don't invade other people's work to promote your own.

- Use the skills of your staff and friends to your server's advantage.

- Community-made content shouldn't be overlooked or underestimated.

- Be a person of staff first and a player second. It's always good to spend time with your players, but remember your responsibilities are key to making a server enjoyable.

- Staff have their responsibilities and those should not be taken lightly. A weak group of staff can make a server less enjoyable.

- Never underestimate your talents, always go above and beyond what you feel your limits are. Your creativity will draw people in.

- Be humble and grateful for your players. Value their time on your server.

- Give players the sense of freedom while maintaining control.

- Leave a good first impression.

- Having ways for players to communicate with staff directly through multiple means can make a player feel like they've always got someone watching out for them. Be that person who reaches out to players.
05/06/2014 9:01 am
Level 25 : Expert Cowboy
Aethroz
1:Smile, and be patient.
2:Don't yell at people, even if they are complete idiots.
3:The customer is usually wrong.
4:You will not appease everybody.
5:Staff are your employees.
6:Employees must be mature.
7:Somebody saying thank you, can make your day.
05/06/2014 8:33 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Goblin
rudeweeze
Friendly and helpful to new players and active
05/06/2014 8:29 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Engineer
Quanto__
That it is hard and time consuming.

You need to be smart.
05/06/2014 7:32 am
Level 26 : Expert Network
Corsicaman
Do not hire immature staff. Always make sure they'll be able to handle all kinds of situations without starting to insult or ban people.
05/06/2014 9:05 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Geek
GamerGeeked
They just need to learn to be able to be responsible
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome