What implications will 5G have on gaming?

1 emeralds4 replies80 views
created 06/11/2019 10:53 pm by ChinaRiko
last reply 06/12/2019 4:52 am
5G at E3
Posted by avatar
ChinaRiko
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner

comment Login or register to post a reply.

4 replies

06/11/2019 11:26 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Skinner
R_Ryan
In my experience, programmers are greedy and use up every bit of bandwidth/ram/storage/CPU you give them, and then demand just a little bit more. So the end result is that stuff gets flashier and more complex, but isn't necessarily any faster or better.

So I figure cell games will have more unnecessary 3D rendering, better anti-aliasing, and more dynamic lighting, but they'll also take up way more space, use up your minutes, and barrage you with even more ads and push notifications.
06/11/2019 10:58 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
Vrillon14
less lag
06/12/2019 4:52 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
ScotsMiser
Most likely scenario is major increases in bells & whistles (ie flashy, 'pretty' but low content 'features' like rendering and animations), significant drops in performance (for any but the high end of the latest generation boxes), and minor increase to significant drop in content quality.

An old rule of computing is that programs expand to fill the available resources.
With memory/storage and bandwidth falling in cost anything that can be accomplished by simply throwing ever-cheaper resources at the issue is likely to be given precedence over issues that remain expensive (ie things that require significant time by highly skilled people).

There continue to be 'new' games produced that are effectively reskins of what was available in the 8-bit era, only with more impressive sounds and graphics.
Similarly many modern MMORPGs are quite similar in gameplay to the multiplayer versions of Rouge and its variants that were popular from the mid- to late-70's forward.

This is largely because the expensive part of putting what comes out of houses like ILM & Pixar [figuring out how to do things] has already been expensed. The constraint has been on the wide availability of end-use boxes powerful enough to provide better real time presentation.

Adding more basic content requires not only funding the people to do the research (and actual research is notorious for not conforming to the schedules of marketing and accounting departments), but also redoing large parts of programs that currently represent either costs in the process of being recovered or (if one is lucky) fully cost recovered investments. [As example, a significant part of MS/Mj resistance to the requests for verticle slabs may fall into this catagory: adding such would require extensive reworking of already proven code requiring additional investment without reasonable expectation of commensurately increased revenue.]
06/12/2019 1:58 am
Level 20 : Expert Ninja
xia
on a 50/50 stance.

feel it may improve some things - but also add more "greed" to those corps/companies.

if i go into detail, this post will be waaay too long lol so i hope the lil bit provided makes sense.

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome