forum Forumsplay_arrow Minecraft fiber_manual_record Discussion

What is the longest vanilla item name possible?

0 emerald • 3 replies144 views
created 06/07/2018 4:41 am by slwaba
last reply 06/21/2018 2:31 am
Ive gotten my hands on some of my friends shulker boxes, and they each have their own specific name. I dont want to take his stuff so i though i could rename them to something super obnoxiously long. Ive tried googling it (even to the second page :O ) but none of the results seemed to have answered my question. Im thinking a really long character? I tried things like ﷽ [(which kinda worked) see image 1] and ௵, (see image 2) which didnt work. First post here, thanks for reading!

Posted by avatar
slwaba
Level 1 : New Miner

3 replies

06/21/2018 2:31 am
Level 34 Artisan Engineer
ShelLuser
I know the thread is old, but oh well... Just found it.

When in doubt check the Minecraft wiki, in this case the player.dat page. If you scroll all the way down to display properties you'll eventually see mention of Name, if you hover your mouse in front of the icon you'll notice that it mentions TAG_String.

So... Name is a property of type String.

Next stop: the NBT format page. This wiki page explains more of the NBT format, and it also contains a list of all the known tags and their specific limitations (or 'dimensions').

I quote: "TAG_Short's payload length, then a UTF-8 string with size length.". TAG_Short ranges from -32768 to 32767 so that's roughly how long the name can theoretically become.

Of course you also have another issue to deal with here. Unless you can use command blocks then you'll always be limited to the maximum size of one chat message. Which has somewhat recently been raised, but from the top of my head I think it's around 140 to 180, but that's it.

And I stand corrected: this got raised in MC 1.11 and the maximum length is 256. So... that's roughly your maximum name length :)
06/07/2018 8:31 am
Level 14 Journeyman Engineer
garlicbreathinator
First question: do you have operator commands on that server? You could use /entitydata to edit the item's name with commands to make it longer than an anvil would allow. If you are able to do that, I'll go ahead and get you the command for it.

Good luck,
Garlicbreathinator
06/08/2018 3:08 pm
Level 1 New Miner
slwaba
No i do not, but if i ever do ill take the command :3

Search

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2018
planetminecraft.com

Welcome