forum Forumsplay_arrow Minecraft fiber_manual_record Discussion

What is Your Ideal Vision of the Post-Combat Update's combat?

2 emeralds17 replies112 views
created 05/13/2019 3:05 pm by Nocturn_Adrift
last reply 05/14/2019 12:35 pm
Additional Commentary: I feel as though there isn't really anything Mojang can do to appease both the 1.8 combat crowd and the 1.9+ combat crowd. I am particularly curious for the player who holds the perspective of "1.9 bad" as what an ideal solution combat system would be that would solve the problems with 1.8 combat rather than simply reverting.

I wanna hear your opinion, PMC:
What can Mojang do to appease the majority of the playerbase in this regard?
Posted by avatar
Nocturn_Adrift
Level 17 : Journeyman Dragonborn

comment Login or register to post a reply.

17 replies

05/14/2019 12:26 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Pirate
TheRealBlank512
/gamerule useLegacyCombat

that's how.
05/14/2019 12:35 pm
Nocturn_Adrift
This is not what I am asking.

I am asking what an ideal combat system (meaning singular) would be. Mojang isn't going to maintain a current combat system, and then a combat system that's going to be further broken by the inclusion of new weapons.
05/13/2019 9:44 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
Lord Of The End
I think there should be more diversity in the combat. Spam-clicking is boring. So is waiting for a cool-down. I think there should be a cooldown for a sweep attack, and maybe like three more special combat attacks could be added. Maybe one could be a short but wide attack. That's all I can think of.
05/13/2019 11:48 pm
Nocturn_Adrift
Ok, sounds cool.

So like, how would the player initiate those attacks? Like, I know we got two full so far, right? The sweep, and the crits one.

Honestly, if the combat was like anything in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, where you guide your sword with your mouse, that would be so BA. Although, I'm not sure how much it would take to get that done in Minecraft's codebase, particularly Java.
05/14/2019 8:59 am
Level 24 : Expert Scribe
Makaneek
a gamerule to switch between hit recharging and no hit recharging would make sense.
05/14/2019 10:49 am
Nocturn_Adrift
A gamerule doesn't really solve the fundamental problems with both of the combat systems, though. It makes no sense for Mojang to maintain two combat systems, especially as they keep adding weapons to mix.

The key thing to keep in mind is that Minecraft has an item meta and if all the sudden two weapons get a massive upgrade then it throws the rest of the weapons out of balance. Mojang isn't going to maintain two whole entire combat systems and carefully think about every nuisance of the two whole entire metas with every new addition to the game. It would be even disastrous especially to the PVP community which arguably has suffered the most because they haven't been able to adapt to the new meta. Imo the player base is fragmented enough as it is.
05/13/2019 3:22 pm
Level 24 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
Although everyone believes 1.15 to be another combat update, it is STILL yet to be confirmed what the update is going to be (probably waiting till the usual September Minecon announcement), so I do not think it would be advantageous to discus a yet to be confirmed theme for 1.15, even if it seems probable.
05/13/2019 3:44 pm
Nocturn_Adrift
I changed the title of the post, thank you.

Now, what is your opinion of the ideal combat system in the future Post-Combat Update?
05/13/2019 3:13 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
BinaryVigilante
Personally I like the current 1.9+ combat system, but for pvp games and servers I do prefer 1.8.9.

I can't really imagine a way for them to bring those two mechanics together.
05/13/2019 9:27 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Ranger
Energy Master
Same
05/13/2019 3:19 pm
Nocturn_Adrift
>Personally I like the current 1.9+ combat system, but for PVP I like 1.8.9-

Ok but why?
05/13/2019 9:26 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Ranger
Energy Master
I think they should add in different types of weapons eg katanas battle axes and different armor, if there gonna nerf it add more stuff to it so we don’t end up using sharpness V hoes and now spamming xD but I think if they do something that major with fighting they need to add more content to fighting too
05/13/2019 3:54 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Fisherman
Marjory
The spamclick should stay, that's what everyone wants. But it could be a system where you have a "Charge meter" depending on how much damage you hit. Once its full, you can use a special ability, like the sweep attack on swords.

Axes on the other hand, should have some cooldown. That way, axes use the 1.9 timing to balance out increased damage. It would still use the "Charge meter" system.

And its a good solution. You still have your preeeecious spam clicking, while having the benefits of 1.9 combat.
05/13/2019 4:02 pm
Nocturn_Adrift
>"everyone" wants spamclick
LOL no, that's one of the primary criticisms of the old system. I'm not sure where that implication came from. Mojang has the job of appeasing both camps. I am definitely in the half that hates spam-click combat with a passion.

>charge meter based on attack hits such as sword swipe
I feel like this could be a nice feature applied to some weapons, I'm not sure about the standard stuff like the sword.If people can spam-click their way to the special, I don't feel like it will make the combat have more depth like the 1.9 system's goal was to do. It would just make the combat less-nuiansed than 1.8's amd contribute to more BS kills.

>axe solution
The only problem with the axe currently is that it doesn't do the same DPS as the sword, all Mojang would have to to achieve this is to increase the axe's base damage: it already has a cooldown system, it's slower than the sword's.

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome