What makes a Minecraft Server good? [ Open Discussion ]

thevedel1's Avatar thevedel14/27/13 7:53 pm
1 emeralds 14.5k 244
2/28/2014 12:52 pm
doomboy57834's Avatar doomboy57834
What do you think makes a Minecraft Server Good?
Come with your suggestions, to what a regular
server should contain, to keep the player-population
rising!

I do own a server myself, with quite a lot players tho,
but what do you think a server should contain?

Thank you,

thevedel1
thevedel1
Level 11 : Journeyman Ranger

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/28/2014 12:52 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
doomboy57834
Simple and easy to understand
09/18/2013 12:01 pm
Level 41 : Master Hunter
edge_to_madness
As long as players feel welcome and are kept occupied, you should be good to go!
09/18/2013 11:58 am
Level 23 : Expert Caveman
aroglu
RPG, real life, and kind of that are unique, i mean something that you will work on for a lot at least 2 week) and of course, a website that it awesome.
09/18/2013 11:21 am
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
Be about the game first, don't fuss over donations. If players like the server, and can donate, they'll donate. If you really need funding, get yourself some adverts on the website.

Don't have a website? That's a key factor, having your own site gives you pulling power. You can have a forum, where users can converse - and by doing that you get their email addresses so you can start sending out newsletters to remind people you exist.
09/18/2013 11:15 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Epic_Corbs
Almost every server I have seen
FACTIONS!
MINIGAMES!
SURIVIVAL GAIMS!
ZOMBEH SURVIVAL!
PLVP!
1 FREEH RANK!
VEREH EXPENSIVE DONATIONS!

Me: No
07/23/2013 1:52 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
SUHp3rm4n
Ive recently joined this minecraft server that had like easily 500 or more people on everyday and I was kind of being nosy so I asked some people why they get on and all and most of them said because of hunger games and SKIN COMPETITIONS. I had no clue that everyone liked that so just thought I would through that out there to help some people. If you are going to host a skin competition give the 1st 2nd and 3rd place prizes but give the first the best prize and as well it can be money. If you thing there skin is good put a green block of wool in front of them. If you think it is not so good put a red block in front of them. And make there be rounds so you don't eliminate everyone at once. More people = more rounds. Make the rounds get harder and harder like eliminate fewer people and be more precise about your picks. BTW I am still working on my server but it will be called MidKnightCraft I am not yet giving out the IP but I will soon.
05/27/2013 7:05 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
eViLxInSaNeGOD
One thing that I think makes a server good is an application that new players have to fill out correctly in three tries in order to have access to more than one of the worlds and commands. This is an easy way to keep undesirables out of your server unless by chance the person is actually smart and can read but most people are too lazy to read and don't even see that they have to do that so they ask questions such as "Why can't I build anything in (blah blah world)."
05/28/2013 3:24 am
thevedel1
Great idea!
05/27/2013 6:58 pm
thevedel1
Wow, 6660 views! Thats a lot!
05/25/2013 3:06 pm
Level 40 : Master Musician
c danovich
for me really the setup and most of all the staff and the community.

i like going to creative servers where the staff in general are open and nice people. another thing that makes creative servers more interesting to me is the fact that you can easily go to other players to see what they are making and just chat about building/anything that comes to mind.

that is also why i dont like pvp servers in general because everytime i think i have a good setup my base gets raided. i guess i am more a builder then a fighter
05/25/2013 6:43 pm
thevedel1
Yeah, there should be worlds with different PvP Status. Like one with it disabled, one with it enabled
05/25/2013 2:29 pm
Level 29 : Expert Ranger
Xeno_Stryker
Fun survival with loads of cool minigames,protection plugins,in game cash,no over powered donor ranks,nice landscape,good staff and good shop.
05/25/2013 6:43 pm
thevedel1
Yeah, You're right - OP Ranks suck.
05/24/2013 5:28 am
thevedel1
Yeowners has to be patient, yeah
05/23/2013 6:36 pm
Level 1 : New Network
JamieDMilligan
Don't focus on donations! {don't hassle players/nag them}
05/22/2013 11:54 am
ninehous
Thanks, you helped a lot macgarthur. actually I made a project post with the map of the server with a little contest (download the map, build in it, best builder wins something (in the server not in real life)). because I installed forge and some mods on the server, I put them in the download to. but at least 20 people tried to connect to the server but they didn't make it because they didn't install the mods. I could had now 20+ players in the server every day. I will try to get my server 24\7 (until July it will be). but do you have any way to get people listen to instructions? (there is a README file in the download).
and by "get the server hosted" do you mean a paid hosting? because I don't have a lot of budget for this.
05/22/2013 4:20 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Warrior
Lenny3214
First you can maybe host it on your computer until you get some money to buy a host then when the server get bigger and you get donations use the donations to pay for the host but if you dont get that many donations maybe try to lower the prices.
05/21/2013 12:17 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Mage
Ridl3y04
A good server for me has a nice staff,has a nice landscape(like random holes aren't everywhere and you don't have to go far out just to get wood) and have some house protection,lastly something interesting that makes the server different and unique.
05/25/2013 2:26 pm
thevedel1
Yeah an unique server is what people need!
05/21/2013 12:08 pm
ninehous
And what if I'm hosting my server from my personal PC and the server is not 24/7?
I have currently two staff members-me and my friend. we both live in GMT +2 (Israel for short) and we have 60 slots. I never had the server full so I don't know if it would be laggy (12 GB RAM).
The bottom line- Do you have any advices for a non 24/7 server?
05/21/2013 3:34 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
macgarthur
My advice is unless you only plan to play with a few personal friends at the same times, get you server 24/7 as soon as possible. People want to be able to play the game anytime they like and having it not 24/7 means there are times they can't play when they want to, so they will simply find a 24/7 server.

Get the server hosted, you need to start with 12gb RAM and 60 slots. If you only have a few players right now, start small get a 2gb hosted server and work your way up. As you expand the game and grow your player base, upgrade the server specs to accommodate the growth.

One of the main reasons to get it hosted is yes you have 12gb RAM, but how is your internet connection? Specifically, how are your download/upload speeds because that is where home hosted servers have their downfall. Even with 12gb RAM if you have a slower connection you'll only be able to hold a handful of players before it starts to lag.
05/21/2013 3:27 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Hunter
Matty__994
If you dont host 24/7 and are running from a PC you can't expect to get 60 people. It would be very 'laggy' but could probably support 10 people depending on your setup. If you want more people it has to be unique as people said but more importantly, professional.
05/21/2013 5:22 am
macgarthur
Matty__994Staff:

- Very nice staff members
- Staff members who know the rules
- Staff members who have been on the server for a long time
- Mature staff members who know how to type grammatically correct
- Owners who know what they are doing
- Only hire people you trust and people who have been on for a while. A lot of beggers like to grief!
- Owners who play with players
- Staff who can replant some saplings here and there
- No pay for staff

Features:

- A range of things to do besides just survival/creative
- Properly setup plugins
- Groups
- No random text (&k)
- Minigames
- Diversity (This one is the MOST important. People play on servers that are DIFFERENT and not the same as everybody else's servers)
- Useful plugins
- Lots of plugins
- Multiple worlds
- Don't make it pay to win
- Don't overuse color

Minigames:

- Custom minigames
- An unpopular, well-coded minigame
- More than 5 minigames (preferably)
- PvP and MobArena like plugins

Permissions/Ranks:

- Properly setup ranks
- No flashy prefixes, keep it simple and professional
- Donor ranks (People like to gain new powers if they grow fond of the server)
- 1 month, 3 month, 1 year and lifetime Donor rank packages (This way people do not feel like they NEED to play on the server because they have put money into it

Buildings:

- Make professional buildings
- Make spawn actually look nice
- Make cities
- Don't use random blocks (Block of Redstone, Stone, etc)

Couldn't have said it any better, plus that is exactly how you would describe my server lol.
05/21/2013 5:07 am
Level 45 : Master Pixel Painter
ProGamingCrew
  • Payed and free Ranks(i prefer Autorank it works with playtime)
  • no city spawn(be creative)
  • enough signs to explain the server features
  • BookRules(nobody reads rules on signs)
  • A website(best is enjin but payed version without subdomain)
  • PvP with Factions.
  • Lockette
  • Permissions(or ur server will die)
  • Anti-Cheat
  • Gates
  • A big shop(essential shop plugin)
  • a sellhouse for players to sell stuff
  • iConomy
  • MCMMO
  • CreativePlots for builders
  • dont let player built near spawn(make a glass-sphere to prevent that)
  • Anti-Swear
  • Nice mature staff
  • Not too much staff
  • Minigames(spleef,parkour,SurvivalGames,DeathCube)
  • Multiple worlds
  • good Log and Rollback plugin
  • chatlinks for donations
  • auto-messenger
  • dont make auto messages every 5 sec(i suggest 5 min.)
  • a vote plugin(enjin)
  • donations
  • VIP-Packages
  • special rank features
  • not too colored chat(no bold etc)
  • min 50 slots
  • enough RAM for noLAg
  • Events(parties,contests)
  • use your plugins.(make use of every plugin to maximize the players fun)
  • kick out useless plugins
  • no plugins like cannons or such fun plugins
05/21/2013 12:53 am
thevedel1
Yeah, true!
05/17/2013 6:47 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Soldier
gunblast
Originality. Thats it.
05/17/2013 6:21 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Hunter
Matty__994
http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/how-to-make-a-good-server-from-a-players-pov/
UnceCrafter's blog post

Staff:

- Very nice staff members
- Staff members who know the rules
- Staff members who have been on the server for a long time
- Mature staff members who know how to type grammatically correct
- Owners who know what they are doing
- Only hire people you trust and people who have been on for a while. A lot of beggers like to grief!
- Owners who play with players
- Staff who can replant some saplings here and there
- No pay for staff

Features:

- A range of things to do besides just survival/creative
- Properly setup plugins
- Groups
- No random text (&k)
- Minigames
- Diversity (This one is the MOST important. People play on servers that are DIFFERENT and not the same as everybody else's servers)
- Useful plugins
- Lots of plugins
- Multiple worlds
- Don't make it pay to win
- Don't overuse color

Minigames:

- Custom minigames
- An unpopular, well-coded minigame
- More than 5 minigames (preferably)
- PvP and MobArena like plugins

Permissions/Ranks:

- Properly setup ranks
- No flashy prefixes, keep it simple and professional
- Donor ranks (People like to gain new powers if they grow fond of the server)
- 1 month, 3 month, 1 year and lifetime Donor rank packages (This way people do not feel like they NEED to play on the server because they have put money into it

Buildings:

- Make professional buildings
- Make spawn actually look nice
- Make cities
- Don't use random blocks (Block of Redstone, Stone, etc)
05/17/2013 6:34 pm
Level 44 : Master Pixel Puncher
xxtreepuncherxx
Wow very detailed! I couldn't agree more! That's why we are a very tight community. Server Staff - Player relationships need to be tight and players need to trust that the staff have their intentions in the right place.
05/17/2013 9:13 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Warrior
Goddies44
Well we aren't hating it, however why not think of something other than factions? Maybe make a custom plugins that lets you mix towny and factions? Maybe a Simpleclans and protectionstones? Thats a great mix tbh. We don't hate it, just saying that where ever you see, you always see faction servers. Why not something different? More variations of servers mean a better minecraft community, and right now there isn't much of a variation tbh. And what JamieDMilligan said. That it another way to get your server good. Try new things, take risks! Have some fun, cya hope this changed your view of factions
05/17/2013 10:14 am
ProGamingCrew
Our server is called AllaroundMinecraft because we have everything. Is an Allrounder Minecraft Server something better then a normal one
05/17/2013 6:21 am
ProGamingCrew
Why is everyone hating about Factions -_-
Every good server have Factions. How should players protect their build if theres no Factions? U dont want grief,raid and factions. Raids and griefs will happen for sure without Factions -_-

U ppls are wierd
05/17/2013 4:23 am
thevedel1
You are all right man !
05/17/2013 3:56 am
macgarthur
Quality staff and community as well as engaging content.
05/17/2013 3:47 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
Quaellen_Wins
Staff that do neglect their server
05/17/2013 3:43 am
thevedel1
Thank you, y'all!
05/16/2013 9:17 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
UnDyingChild132
Depends what kind of server. The ideal PVP/FACTIONS/SURVIVAL server will have these things(in my opinion): Peaceful option for factions; a seed with large and numerous land masses(exploration potential); occasional resets to keep the world from becoming marred and impossible to start out on; minigames(spleef, hunger games(DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL), cops and robbers, etc.; a sky block world; a full shop!!!!!; MCMMO, jobs, no lockette(creates more need for factions and less random chests all over the friggin place); one, main spawn, no warps and such craziness; strongholds blocked from being claimed; mob arena +rewards(no mob drops); and active, kind Mods and Admins.
Regards,
Jason
05/17/2013 6:17 am
ProGamingCrew
Lockette is important
Screw the skyblock! Warps is the most important thing -_-
Mobarena ofc with mob drops,
Never do world resets or players will leave your server!
Before u lock stronghold u have to find them. Not easy after all.
05/16/2013 4:01 pm
Level 24 : Expert Ninja
PengoPenguinRocks
an amazingly kind staff a good balance of plugins, no factions, raid or griefing and a custom terrain to give the server individuality

Plugin suggestion: MCMMO
05/16/2013 3:57 pm
Level 1 : New Network
JamieDMilligan
Just ask your players, they know what they want!

Owner of FactionPlay
05/16/2013 3:50 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
awesomemod
well first thing is alot of people like to make factions or towns
05/16/2013 3:15 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Mage
m0nkeywrench
I think what makes a good server is either simplicity or orginality, take raiding servers for example, ok maybe people think they are fun, but please for the good of the minecraft community, don't make another one, they are so freaking overdone! If your server is original, then you are bound to go far.
Secondly, simplicity is VERY important, don't get loads of useless plugins and stuff, or people will be overwhelmed, just keep it simple: simplicity is beauty.
I need to shut up now, what do I know about servers? lol
05/16/2013 3:11 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
ginggy455
simplicity. if its too hard for people to get around in your server, they arent likely to stay long. also, great amounts of assistance at the start. starting out on your own is more fulfilling, but is really hard. so help your players a little and have your spawn easy to navigate.
05/16/2013 9:06 am
Epic_Corbs
I just want a genuine server that's a no greif survival.
Also I hate having the server go D0N@T3 PL0X too much.
05/16/2013 3:03 pm
thevedel1
You could try my server if u want to ?
05/16/2013 8:57 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Warrior
Goddies44
Here's just a list in what I think is important.
* A theme
* Your server needs to be special in some manner, lots of servers have factions and mcmmo, so why not make something different to draw in more players?
* A spawn that leaves a good impression to new-comers.
* Helpful staff that replies to most things besides dumb questions such as, (How do I get op??)
* Not much chat spamming with donation broadcasts, (Iv'e seen servers that had those in paragraphs every 2 minutes. If your going to try to get donations, make the server worthy so that other players think its a good server to donate for.
* Events, Minigames, things that will keep players not bored. Servers with only factions do get boring in some time.
* Lively community
* Try to maintain the server with absolute no lag (now this won't be possible because of connections however try your best), meaning tps is maxed out 20, block lag disappears, not much delay and etc.
* Try not to set to complicated rules. Most people won't read them. Only put like, Don't Spam, No cussing and etc.
* Good economy, this means balanced and all rationed out. By meaning that I mean, for example in the Adminshop they sell one diamond for 100, however the moneydrop plugin gives you 50 cash per mob kill. That will ruin your server.
* Give players a reason to play on the server, free obtainable ranks, like prison servers, or trying to get to the top of mcmmo and etc. If you are trying to find a way to give players free ranks without a hassle, try autorank.
* Less plugins mean less lag which is better. Only try to add plugins that players will use. I know several servers that has like 70 and + plugins but that won't make the server better.
* A good vote system with a good voting reward is good for servers as well. Check out cursecraft for an example. They give you coins (if i remember right) and with those you can buy creeper eggs, or cash or a whole ton of other stuff.
* Another thing about plugins, try to get unique plugins. The more unique and good your server is (meaning unique but no stupid plugins) the better it is.
* Do NOT advertise your server on different servers. I promise you it is the worse way to get players. Always try to bump / advertise your servers on minecraft server list sites such as planetminecraft. I can't promise you, however it is a better way to get a lot of players.

Sorry this might not be in relevant to this topic, but just saying for all those people who need help running a server and trying to make it good.
05/16/2013 3:03 pm
thevedel1
Really really great post!
05/16/2013 1:02 am
ProGamingCrew
Lenny3214
ProGamingCrew
Lenny3214I hate it when i log in to an server and say Hi but no one answers they just talk to each other or if there is many players (150-200) on and i cant read everything cus everyone is typing.
It will be better if the chat is to fast to download an plugin that slows down the chat or to make chat rooms.

I made an server and i don't use factions cus i don't like it and we are currently building an spawn. I have no donation ranks cus i don't know where i keep the money, my parents don't let me use credit cards. I'm hosting the server on my computer so it is laggy sometimes.

And btw i can make you an gif to your server if you want.

Uhm can ypu make me a gif?

Yes, how do you want it?

Ill pm you
05/16/2013 1:01 am
ProGamingCrew
My host just offer a plugin for linking different servers with Portals.
05/15/2013 4:04 am
SeemsLegitReally
Im in
05/15/2013 3:55 am
thevedel1
Btw. Anyone want to start up a server with mé?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome