What makes the perfect server?

Delseyrian's Avatar Delseyrian12/4/17 2:44 pm history
12/12/2017 7:42 am
The FaiyaBLAST's Avatar The FaiyaBLAST
I'm not the best when it comes to hiatus so lets get straight into the topic.

I've recently noticed that there are some type of stereotypical servers that has the same plugins, same forum contents, same rules, same Buycraft images and perks, same buildings and floating spawns... and even the same staff members in different servers(?) which makes them overused and repetitive... well, pretty lame in my opinion.

With respect to this thread made by RohbieMattz about stereotypical servers I find it a bit amusing that sane owners and experienced community members had a good argue about how silly the servers with the same type are, yet we haven't came up with a solution yet as to what we should do about them.

However, instead of refusing to support the stereotypical servers.. how about we aim to improve them? What's the point of evolution for these servers to escape from the prison of unoriginality? What makes a server a good place to play on among thousands of other servers?

I've spent over three years coding, decorating and flourishing
my server only to find out that it's not getting that much attention.. or any attention at all... I peak at other repetitive and unoriginal servers and find that they have an average of five to ten players each day.. why? It doesn't make sense at all, does it?

It's also worth to mention that those who call themselves "developers" with.. let's not say lack of knowledge BUT zero knowledge about how coding java/other languages works are mocking the definition of a real developer.. I've had this one encounter before with a "developer" who was assuring me that he was developing plugins using notepad, which really hurt me since he believed that turning a boolean to true or false in a YAML would be developing a plugin, he wanted to be a developer on my server and he was denied of course so he left and came back three days later advertising a server he found, when he got banned I decided to check that server only to see that he was the only player on it and had a "dev" rank with bold letters and op, and he banned me on spot which is pretty hilarious.. I honestly pity him and whoever had the guts to have him as a "developer"

But nonetheless, back on the original topic; what makes a perfect server? I would like to see your opinions below as a desperate attempt to help the stereotypical community to improve and fix themselves.. I am pretty sure an owner or two would read this and think twice before making a repetitive type of a server.

Delseyrian
Level 24 : Expert Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/12/2017 7:42 am
Level 49 : Master Enderdragon
The FaiyaBLAST
I believe that the aspect that makes a server good is a good community, where everyone treats each other with respect to have a nice environment to play in. A good server can also take the 'cliched' genres (skyblock/prison/PVP/minigames) and give them cool, unique twists to make them truly their own, something that should attract players.
12/11/2017 5:34 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Cib
Servers will only create a lively community if the server is able to attract a variety of different players.

To do this, servers need to set themselves apart from the status quo and create a unique experience that can enjoyed by many people.

Think about servers like Mineplex and The Hive as two examples.
Just like every other server, they started off small and insignificant. But they took the time to properly set up their servers to not only be a fun filled, unique server, but secure and robust.

Although larger servers have a lower sense of “community”, they still became the most successful and most played on.

All servers start at square one but it’s how they expand from there is how they truely define themselves.
12/12/2017 5:31 am
Delseyrian
Then that's basically about money after all since servers like Mineplex or TheHive invested their money properly in advertising their network on popular voting lists, lists like minecraft-server-list.com reaches bids as high as 10k $$ for the first listing which is pretty insane.
12/11/2017 3:05 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Skinner
Wobble Fox
Besides the execution of all elements being of high standard, I believe a server should have a reason to exist.

Many servers are built simply for the sake of it, mimicking whatever the successful servers are doing and hoping to be the same. The resulting server will at best be an acceptable alternative or most likely, worse.

A server should be made by a player who is not content with what is available and wants to create their own idea of what is enjoyable. Whether that is an entirely new idea or a simple tweak of a common one. Filling a noticed void in servers should draw players of common mind. This is my idea of a unique/original server. Not simply attempting to be so without true inspiration.

All other elements of a server are of course desirable though vary in importance. The only consistent requirement is a good player-base/community, but that isn't something you can implement, only attempt to encourage.
12/11/2017 3:55 pm
Delseyrian
Let's say you have an owner who made something unique, enjoyable and doesn't appear on any other server as it's custom coded and from his pure imagination where no one ever thought of it before.

How do they encourage a good player-base?
12/11/2017 4:26 pmhistory
Level 16 : Journeyman Skinner
Wobble Fox
Some servers inherently attract a certain player-base. A server with a lot of depth and complexity will have a more mature audience. A low commitment server such as a minigame server where you go for some quick fun will not only host many immature players, but could be the target of very trollish behaviour since little investment is given.

It occurs to me that your definition of a bad player may differ to mine.

In the case of griefing, some may see it as a valid way to enjoy the game and is indeed the focus of many servers. As such, the play-style of the server should be made clear in advertising, boasting its unique qualities and avoiding harmful buzzwords. Even the word 'factions' implies a certain game play, even though it is a versatile plugin. Your server may indeed use factions, but present it along with its implementation/intended use should it differ from what is expected.

Rules should be made clear, breaking them (or any undesired behaviour of sufficient severity) should result in escalating punishments. The best way for most rules to be followed is in my opinion, sensible rules.

Something I don't like to see is a server telling me I can't have a negative attitude. And this is likely what many consider to be a bad player. Not to say that I desire or expect to inhabit servers inflicting negativity everywhere, but it enforces a positive attitude. It makes me feel that a face without a smile is outlawed and we must all put smiley faces at the end of every sentence and never show that we are angry, sad or even neutral. If a social platform is wanted, then humanity is to be expected. And it is for this reason that a 'good player-base' can never truly be ensured.

Most online games are criticised for their toxic communities. Despite many attempts by developers, there is no anti-human filter. Except for a permanent mute of course. There is my final answer, perma-mute.
12/12/2017 5:29 am
Delseyrian
Some servers don't like criticism and as you said, enforce the smilies at the end of each sentence metaphorically.

If servers don't like criticism and take a refuge under the shelter of perma-muting negative attitude players then they'll eventually lose their equilibrium as these negative attitude'd players usually have a negative feedback about something bothering them which shouldn't either exist or should be improved, correct?
12/11/2017 1:32 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Wirgin
The worst thing about most servers is actually it's community. Most big servers have bad community, while smaller have mostly good community.

I own a server (Golden Legacy) and... TBH... You don't want to be unique anymore. It has no real value. Lots of "people (kids)" spend time on servers with mines, minigames and other types of shit.

I am dedicated to community and spend time developing my server further. Guess what. When I had free diamonds feature using energy system, there were up to 16 people online in just one week. I closed it, because I couldn't stand that army of kids. I make server because I still believe there are reasonable people to enjoy time with, but still... There is no one willing to join... Even my server poll has negative votes. That's something I really don't understand. Being unoriginal = lots of kids = free server (vips). Being original and reasonable = having empty server. Community is problem. It's not the server, it's the community.
12/11/2017 3:33 pm
Delseyrian
Same thing with OP prison servers and regular prison servers, OP prisons tend to have tons of players and regular prison servers tend to have a very low amount of players.

Players are hungry for power, that's why.

Players who donate only donate to get the perks if there's an OP armor and swords.. stuff that'll make them much better ingame than other players.

Try comparing two servers with the same community. one of them has cosmic perks for donators and the other one has op kits, creative and godmode and see which one will get most donations.
12/11/2017 3:54 pm
Wirgin
Isn't is our human nature, the desire for power? Anyways...
If you want, we can work together. My strategy is to teach players being gentle and reasonable, vulgarisms are part of fun on the other hand.
I just came up with idea making "crippled" server. I mean... "Buggy". Not really buggy, but funny things that look like bugs.. Just making minecraft fun again. And... My community, my love. I'm glad for every player. No VIP. All players have just same rights. I have enough money to run it.

I just looked on forums here... Tons of trash servers, sad, very sad...
12/11/2017 4:00 pm
Delseyrian
I've never thought about merging servers or communities together as the old community will migrate to the new community and clashes will occur eventually causing both communities to collapse.

Or it will end up in one server and abandon the other.

I've tried this before using bungeecord.. wasn't a really good idea.
12/06/2017 8:20 am
DarkSeer
I say that the players in the game make it a great server other than playing alone...Many people get tired of this game if they are playing alone without doing anything....happened to me once too.
12/06/2017 4:03 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Artist
ItzShadoowYT
Most important is a community. I've logged into servers where theres 17 or 18 people online, welcoming you instantly, where-as I've logged into ones with 0 players online, and then nothing. No guides, etc. Second is the quality. You don't want to play on a crappy copy of a survival server with no unique stuff. You want a fun, friendly and unique server that actually promises what they say.
12/06/2017 4:09 am
Delseyrian
I agree, yet.. Some servers has the guides, the quality and everything.. but lacks the community of 17 or 18 people online, why's that?
12/06/2017 8:18 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
I've found this often boils down to luck. >.>

The right people see it, or they don't as the server is washed away in a stream of new ones with increasingly more demanding titles...
12/04/2017 8:25 pmhistory
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
0ct0ber
Asking what particular thing plays the biggest role doesn't come much closer to the solution... asking what people think bad servers have in common, or what you should do to provide a good server does.

What I think needs to be done at large scale is the creation of better, more accurate server lists (possibly add a 5-star server rating option) and the fixing of common multiplayer issues (for example, x-ray... why hasn't mojang just made it so 1.9+ servers don't send ore data if it's completely sealed?). Also, I think there needs to be a general shift away from grind-focused servers, and owners need to recognize that if you make an extremely boring activity gradually give you exponentially more riches (AFKing by a grinder, then selling to get diamonds faster than mining them), you will make the game quite crummy for everyone who doesn't do that boring activity; the people who want to get to the top as quickly and easily as possible will take the grinder route if you provide it.

As for us, the biggest thing I think we can all do to help is what players did years ago. I've noticed that I and others only play when others are online, but in the past servers could be about as sparse at times as they are now. Find a good server, stick with it and play it regularly, and try to even sometimes when everyone's offline. Maybe work on a project or something on there. You can choose to not support servers by not even joining them, or leaving as soon as you realize it's got pretty bad taste.
12/05/2017 3:16 pm
raidarr
Ratings can be abused if there aren't some pretty hardcore limitations in place, not least of which being account registration to prevent blatant abuse from being possible, which many users wouldn't want to do in order to access the review system (though I'm sure owners would start picking up the line "hey! register to the site and give 5 stars to get diamonds!" or some such).

Mojang doesn't need to do anything, there's a plugin called orebfuscator (something like that) which will block people from seeing real ores easily.

I agree that the grind is flat out boring, but I have met a few players lately who said they like the grind. So, that's a complicated thing to try and eliminate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
12/11/2017 11:47 am
0ct0ber
Mojang doesn't need to do anything? Hacks are still getting more and more advanced and they should make more types invalid, which they started doing by enforcing a maximum attack range, dig range and preventing fly by default. X-Ray is the single most harmful issue right now on multiplayer (get a full set of diamond armor in only 20m), if there's an issue with the game that even Mojang agrees shouldn't exist on servers that don't explicitly allow it, they should do what they can to fix it.

Yes of course, there should be some restrictions on ratings, such as firstly not adding in a hook like Votifier for ratings, not bumping the server's listing (only showing you how good it is), and a check to see if too many players are voting for a server for their first time on their site or if too many never saw the server first on the list and then joined, but instead joined first then voted on a page they never found (because the owner gave them the link and told them to vote!).

It is a complicated thing to try to eliminate, but they have already made even more splitting and controversial changes that didn't improve things enough for the majority of people given how splitting they were. But you also need to remember that like x-ray, grinding isn't something everyone does, and gives an unfair advantage over everyone who doesn't. Dungeons were supposed to be COOL, really cool things added back in the Adventure Update, and now they are mostly abused and AFKed by. Notch also disliked that the mechanics for even mob spawning was being exploited by building large darkroom spawners. The game is not as fun for a lot of people when it becomes automated rather than having to do the interesting activities yourself such as monster hunting. Yes some people would dislike it, probably less than the people that have disliked some changes in 1.9-1.12, but those sorts of fixes would unite the game and bring back its original idea which only a minority of players who are all about winning no matter how dirty have diverged the game from.
12/11/2017 1:13 pm
raidarr
Orebfuscator is free and accessible, last I checked, which is why I consider the main responsibility to lie on owners as compared to Mojang. It would be nice for Mojang to add the functionality of Orebfuscator to the minecraft client, though I think it would take some modification to be fully polished and integrated; for its benefits, oreb doesn't fully mesh with the server, and it does take some processing power on the side that uses it for it to work (typically the server, which I consider to be the most optimal arrangement anyways). It's not the simplest issue to throw in a quick patch for, though Mojang certainly has had quite a bit of time for it. If they threw it in for the aqua update, I think there would be stronger incentive for servers to fully move to the new version. As it is, the 1.13+ updates look like they are going to be revising 'everything' again >.< That will make another split for a while I'd imagine. There's still 1.12, 1.11.2, 1.10.2 servers floating around...

Ratings and such are good in theory - they just don't work very well in practice for some cases. I personally disregard ratings from many sources, particularly minecraft based, though they can be interesting insight. For servers, I just see too much possible abuse on one hand or inconvenience for the reviewers. Adding advanced checks adds inconvenience and potential for bugs, and when the bugs roll in, the system is worthless anyways. For minecraft servers, the post itself is the biggest indicator, and usually it's as simple as joining, seeing how the server works, and just moving on if it's undesirable.

Mojang has made some controversial moves, though I admit I can't go on at the length I would like due to the fact I don't play like a traditional minecraft player. Grinding mobs, spending all day mining blocks (prison), and tricks for automation are things that hold absolutely no appeal to me. I doubt Mojang intended for them to happen either - one way or another, players as a collective whole will try to do things that get the most results while spending the least amount of effort. Grinders, bots, automation all work towards that end. Mojang has the opportunity to make such practices at least more difficult/less desirable, though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take it.

At this point, I think there's an opportunity for server owners to change and revise the mechanics. That is the beauty of minecraft; the sandbox. I consider its heart to be building, but if plugins that currently exist are any indication, I don't think it is impossible for a dedicated owner to completely change the mechanics of a modern server to suit the image you present, or make up their own image entirely.
12/04/2017 5:34 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Birb
chickenpants93
the perfect server? a staff that cares, a comunity that wont greaf, games that are fun, plugins that stop greafing at all costs. (sorry if i went overbord but im serious about this)
12/06/2017 2:58 am
Delseyrian
That's almost in around 500+ servers, a no grief community.

What makes server A better than server B even if they both have the rule of no grief and the same fun games?
12/04/2017 4:58 pm
raidarr
No single element makes a perfect server. I would argue that determining such is completely impossible. There is no such thing as perfect. When servers with minimal effort compete with servers with years of effort, I would say luck determines success as much as anything else.

I consider a so called 'perfect' server to be a fine combination of all mentioned factors, except donator perks. It's easy to say unique is the main pillar of making a great server, but frankly, that's nearly impossible to accomplish, and most people cannot make a truly unique server. I wouldn't consider my own ideas to be truly unique, though the ones I would say come close are probably too weird to reach any true levels of popularity.

The atmosphere. The experience. That is what gets me truly playing. All of the aforementioned factors contribute to it, in my book. Atmosphere is created by tuning all factors of a server to fit a particular theme. Experience comes from design, polish, and a sense of planning that is absent from almost every new minecraft server these days. Most people aren't designers, and I'd say it takes a designer to truly create something that would get me actually excited for a server anymore.

So, to draw this long wall to a close, I would say a 'perfect' server in my estimation comes from making a truly good atmosphere and experience in a server. Something that would make me feel as though I'm missing something, when going somewhere else.

Of course, that is very difficult for most to accomplish. "I can't do that!" you might say. Yet you still want to be an owner? I'd say one thing. It's blunt, but it's a pretty pure perspective.

Perhaps you don't need to be an owner.
12/06/2017 2:48 am
Delseyrian
No matter how hard someone tries to tune the atmosphere of a server a troller will emerge out of nowhere and ruin everything, correct me if I am wrong.
12/06/2017 8:15 amhistory
raidarr
I wouldn't say 'everything', assuming the game is designed to push the trolling into minimally harmful segments such as chat, and the owner/someone from a presumably responsible staff work to swiftly eliminate the 'troller'.
12/04/2017 4:00 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Farmer
Bluntiful
There is little to no uniqueness in servers anymore- it's nearly impossible unless you have a private developer. Most servers are built within the same stigma, such as Prison servers or Faction servers. However, they can differ if their plugins are made privately (no one else can download them).
The Community also makes a big portion of "a perfect server." No one wants to stay on a server where the community is cold and bitter, let alone nonexistent.

I don't know, in my opinion it's hard to make a unique server with so many being made over the years. But with whatever you go with, I wish you luck on building your server!
12/04/2017 3:52 pm
GEPGames
Hey @ItsGamingSoni i was wondering what your server ip is because I would really like to try it out
12/06/2017 2:41 am
Delseyrian
12/04/2017 3:37 pm
Level 26 : Expert Geek
xXGothicXx
I say what makes a server good, is not just the community and staff, but also the uniqeness like you guys are saying. I also like games where the staff is willing to play with the members as players, not staff.
12/04/2017 8:27 pm
0ct0ber
Uniqueness is good, but having a unique server type only goes so far. Allowing for people to be creative and flexible with their play made servers creative on their own in the past.
12/06/2017 3:00 am
Delseyrian
Uniqueness is sure good when you talk about it, but when you try to execute it it doesn't sound that good anymore. How can you think of something that wasn't there before?
12/11/2017 11:22 am
0ct0ber
You're thinking of completely original, not unique. But having an original or unique server only goes so far in part because of that, and also because often at a certain point it can become too particular or not as much about minecraft and more its own specific thing.

My point is that what made many servers unique and good in the past was that they allowed for mostly the core, raw game with its flexible play, which people really enjoyed back then a lot... and every server would be unique because players got the opportunity to build uniquely and interact uniquely (think building treehouses, secret piston doors, traps and all that stuff before hackers got common and more advanced). When too many features are added or they take away from doing survival and gathering stuff the real way, it suddenly is just about the features of the server that are making it unique, and not how people play it.

Why don't you consider making a server like that, if you are going to run one? Mostly raw minecraft servers rarely exist now, closest to SMP is either Landclaim or Anarchy, which both quickly becomes not about surviving.
12/04/2017 2:49 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Skinner
Jack01124
I think it's really the uniqueness. If you have a generic factions server with loot crates and whatnot, it's not really a good server except if you bring something new to the table.
12/04/2017 2:55 pm
Delseyrian
What makes a server unique? a typical factions server would still use the same crates plugin, the same TNT-obsidian features, essentials and whatnot with the lack of execution of these plugins.. the owners simply drag & drop plugins and wait for the players to figure everything out themselves.
12/04/2017 3:39 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Not being "a typical factions server" for starters. Doing something no one else is doing/is doing well is what makes a server unique. I don't care if a server has 20 custom coded plugins if the game-play is still basically factions.

Sometimes friends or just random people pitch ideas to or in front of me and I always ask "what makes your idea unique"? Most people can't answer the question. If you can't articulate why, then your idea isn't and it's not going to blow anyone out of the water or gain traction over similar servers.

Reminds me of something a family member of mine said a few months ago. He's about my age and expressed how him and my aunt are going to make "a game like Pokemon". I love Pokemon, but the world doesn't need another clone, so I asked "what makes your idea unique?" and he couldn't tell me either.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome