What do you tell a friend who....

craftergurl's Avatar craftergurl1/27/16 11:54 pm
2/3/2016 5:19 pm
craftergurl's Avatar craftergurl
What do you tell a friend who built something that does not look like a good build but they think it is great and the best ever? Have you ever dealt with something like that?
craftergurl
Level 33 : Artisan Princess

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/31/2016 9:07 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Lumberjack
Sergeant Sarcasm
I tell them the areas that they could improve on their build, telling them "it's good" or "it's bad" is doing nothing but altering their ego and their image of you.
I'm admin on a creative server, I deal with this all the time. The best way to help someone improve is help them see where they can improve themselves rather than having them need to rely on others for this kind of stuff.
01/31/2016 8:44 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Princess
SlySly
tell them they could fix it like so:
Hey, I get that you like this, but, no offense, it sucks. Maybe try using different... (fill in stuff to improve on here)

I tell my friends this all the time. If they are real friends, they won't care and take it as advice.
01/31/2016 6:25 pm
Level 26 : Expert Pirate
Han Solo
It sucks, rebuild it.
And they'll say the same thing to me.
aand if I tell them it looks good, they'll continue to build other sucky things so.
01/31/2016 1:17 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Goblin
ToadieOdie
That's a valid point Azie. I had just assumed the OP was asked to begin with and just realized now that this wasn't mentioned either way.

My advice is based on the assumption that you were asked directly for your opinion on the build. It also applies if you are commenting on posted projects here on PMC or if you are a building team leader/manager.
01/31/2016 1:03 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I wouldn't say anything at all unless my friend asked me if it looked good. If they asked me directly, I'd tell them that I don't think it looks very good. If they reacted poorly to an honest, civil answer, they should grow up. If they reacted well, I'd offer some additional constructive criticism to try to help them improve.
01/31/2016 12:59 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Goblin
ToadieOdie
Using the "Sandwich Method" is what works best most of the time. When you can be honest and gentle about it is when it comes across right.

Start out with what is working. Next move on to what isn't working and discuss why it doesn't work. If you are having a face-to-face talk, or a live chat, this is an opportunity to invite them into a brainstorming discussion about improvements. The key is making sure they have control over their project/job. Finish off strong with the things you like.

This holds true for just about any type of project - whether it's creative writing, a business project, Minecraft project, etc. It's the smoothest way to deliver constructive criticism without making a person feel attacked while also making them feel included in the process - even if you are the boss or manager of the job. It takes practice, but the most important thing is being honest. People can usually tell the difference - especially if they know you well.

False praise rings hollow and falls flat, so avoid giving it. If all you can say is "I really appreciate your enthusiasm and color choice, but the arrangement isn't working for me," then say that. Open a conversation with the person on how the project's color scheme could be rearranged into something more appealing. Let them lead the way in ideas whenever possible.

I hope this helps. <3
01/31/2016 12:47 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Modder
guestds
replace it with something and say "i dont want anyone to be jealous of you so i replaced your build with this" if its a house build tht one kind thats curvy shaped lol.... i like building boxes.... or the thing that nobody does anymore since this is the pvp era of minecraft building a hidey hole into a small hill or mountain and i once did a build and it fit now i keep going with no room i build it in the dirt from the grass so i had alot less room lol it did look good since you didnt have many minecrafters trying to build pretty stuff just making it to survive and i think i didnt know of peaceful lol but yeah say people are jealous of their skill i guess?
01/31/2016 3:44 pm
craftergurl
I never thought of that
01/31/2016 6:24 am
Level 23 : Expert System
b7e
"I've seen worse."

That's the most passive way I can put it.
02/01/2016 5:19 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Princess
SlySly
perfect!
02/03/2016 5:19 pm
craftergurl
yes i really like that answer too
01/31/2016 6:21 pm
craftergurl
that is diplomatic too XD
01/31/2016 12:34 pm
craftergurl
that works
01/28/2016 2:11 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Skinner
AA_
sometimes I'd flat out say it looks like a piece of idontwanttosayit

other times i'd tell them there's room for improvement.
01/28/2016 2:08 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Skinner
AA_
but most of the time i just tell them that it's good
01/28/2016 12:49 pm
Level 40 : Master Goblin
Dajj
i feel like if you want to see your friend get better, you could say "i think it's cool, would you mind me giving some criticism?" or smth like that. when you're telling them what could be improved, don't overload them, you can try to improve them little by little by giving them tidbits on individual builds. and like i mean another thing is if they really like it, try not to snuff that flame too much because they could get discouraged, especially if they're younger.
01/28/2016 8:18 am
Level 48 : Master uwu
Joseph
"Don't get offended, but it looks freaking hideous." *Tears the whole thing down and builds a new one.* "Oh yeah, that looks amazing!"
01/28/2016 3:27 pm
craftergurl
I try to be diplomatic
01/28/2016 3:53 am
Level 37 : Artisan Grump
Corcustos
Instead of telling them that it does not look good, you could be like "That's looks nice, but I think we could improve (blank)."

This way you can still give the hint that it isn't that good without sounding like a complete -snip-
01/28/2016 1:39 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Toast
GG50
I don't know about you, but me and my friends aren't gonna tip-toe around such a trivial matter to not hurt each other's feelings. It's a video game, you're not telling them that they're worthless as a human being.
01/28/2016 7:51 am
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
This.
01/27/2016 11:58 pm
Level 28 : Expert Dolphin
SAIXlON
"that looks like -snip-"

you might not want my advice thou, im kind of a -snip-
01/28/2016 11:36 am
craftergurl