When do people think Java edition was at its best?chat

MinecraftIndex's Avatar MinecraftIndex9/14/21 9:35 am history
9/30/2021 8:48 pm
Pleasenotme's Avatar Pleasenotme
Hey,

We were just curious and wondering when people thought Java edition was at its best. Do you think its at its best now, or do you think it was better during a previous version?

We really liked version 1.8. Feel free to drop a comment too with your vote!

The Minecraft Index Team
MinecraftIndex
Level 3 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/29/2021 9:36 pm
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
tappestry
I liked the old versions because there were great mods and plugins, but I love the stability of the new versions.
09/29/2021 1:59 pm
Level 21 : Expert Cake
THCDPRO
I feel like for different things different versions where best like for fast pvp 1.8 for survival and speedruns 1.17-1.16 and for slow pvp 1.9 - 1.17
09/29/2021 1:59 pm
THCDPRO
but i play pvp the most so the version I LIKE the most is 1.8
09/28/2021 6:08 am
Level 31 : Artisan Loremaster
CC and CB Official
Version 1.17 is Minecraft's heyday. The axolotl got popularity to other countries, and now more scientists are being aware of the extinction of the axolotls!
09/29/2021 1:52 pm
Level 49 : Master Architect
TimeWarpDrive
What... What is the factual basis for any of "The axolotl got popularity to other countries, and now more scientists are being aware of the extinction of the axolotls!"?
09/29/2021 2:46 pm
CC and CB Official
IDK, I live in the Overworld and not like EARTH, so yea. IDK
09/30/2021 2:12 pm
TimeWarpDrive
Uh huh
09/24/2021 3:27 amhistory
TimeWarpDrive
-1.8 seems like its the golden spot before 1.9 and the dark ages...

-1.13 was good, but then 1.14 totally trashed the game with the new textures, the new broken villager system, the supreme tonnage of bugs, raids making 1.11 useless, the overpowering of iron golem spawning, the whole concept of what a village is being totally broken, and the retarded new villager AI.... The iron golem cracking effect was nice though.
-1.15 was a pretty boring update where we got bees, a new lighting system that wasn't any better or worse than the old one, and a couple bug fixes (most of which were from one of minecraft's most unplayable/buggy release versions ever 'cough' 1.14 'cough')
-1.16 was alright, but it certainly doesn't deserve the praise it gets. (Especially after making half of the hell world into a lush forest, and half that forest being peaceful)
-1.17 has some good stuff, a solid update like 1.13
-1.18 is looking like a mixed bag so far... The terrain changes are nice, but I'd like it if you could have the option to use the 'original' terrain generator like with amlified. But elytra changes are beyond moronic... I mean they don't take damage from gliding? But they do take 3 damage just from using a rocket (not actually moving with said rocket, but just using), and then they go and reduce the speed! Ugh, honestly those elytra changes could ruin the update on their own.
09/28/2021 6:05 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Nerd
Pleasenotme
I actually really like the new villager mechanics. I never really understood what seems 'broken' about the new system.

Golem spawning is overpowered tho, DAM are those iron farms op.
09/29/2021 2:25 pmhistory
TimeWarpDrive
"I actually really like the new villager mechanics. I never really understood what seems 'broken' about the new system."

-Basing the village house points on beds make villagers sometimes think that a solid wall is the fastest point to their point of safety
-Being able to get an infinite amount of any enchantment in seconds... Usually by just using sticks.
-The trading limit was reduced and the way to get rid of it was moved from the demand system to the "You either wait 20 minutes to trade 16 things or you get 100s of villagers" system
-Villagers randomly can claim the workstations & beds of other villagers causing the other villagers to wander out of the village
-Villages can grow exponentially, not matter how many beds there are (Because of the reason above) causing the issue above and extraordinary overpopulation.
-When overpopulation occurs, (and because villagers don't view houses with doors, but by unclaimed beds now) villagers will just sit outside & die to zombies.
-etc

1.13 and below we're perfect, but, again, 1.14 was utter garbage.. The ideas were nice, but very poorly done.
09/29/2021 8:25 pm
Pleasenotme
-Well it's better than thinking a door with a block on it is a safe place. That was unbelievably stupid.
-Good point, but it does take a while to grind usually. And you need to gather the sticks too (not that sticks are super rare ofc xP)
-I think the trading limit rework is a lot better. Earlier you could literally lock a villagers entire trade pool sometimes, which made it effectively a nitwit.
-Yeah, bugs are pretty annoying... but afaik the higher-level villagers get preference over the lower ones.
-Bugs... those are annoying tru.
-Huh... in all my tests they just go stand on a bed even if its occupied.

However 1.13 and below has tons of problems too -

-The villages look like literal garbage
-The villagers look awful
-Door houses are stupid
-The houses weren't even sufficiently lit
-Almost no penalty for brutal murder of villagers
-Villagers have no relation with their job except for their trades
-Villagers choose random jobs for literally no reason
-The new trades make more sense
-Illagers never spawn near villagers; they are almost never encountered
-Villagers don't work
09/30/2021 2:42 pm
TimeWarpDrive
-Could you quantifiy that for me? How is a bed a more safe place than a house?
-Ok
-But that NEVER happened... Locking up a villager like that was a really rare occurence. I'd honestly take that very tiny chance over the new system
-Thats the thing though, a decent bit of villager bugs made it into 1.14.1+
-OK
-I've seen that, but because villagers are fidgety they leave the house immediately to go look for another bed.

"However 1.13 and below has tons of problems too -"
Reguardless of the quality of 1.13 & below, it'd be irrelevant to the quality of 1.14.

-I think they looked fine, but again, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
-"I think they looked better than 1.14 villagers because i think 1.14' textures are ugly, but again, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder""
-But they're not.. I've already outline where beds fall short where doors didn't
-I suppose thats an issue, but because of how villagers worked, it wasn't a massive issue.
-Unlike the current game where you're encouraged to kill your villagers?
-The farmer is obviously the exception to that, but how do they have any relation to their trades now? They just stand at a block & do nothing now....(which actually decreases what the farmer does).
-Which is what they do nowadays, except is has a smaller pool of "random jobs"....
-Could you quantify how they make more sense?
-Thats not an issue....
-If you mean work as in "job", then the farmer did... (again, the rest of the village still doesn't work... They just stand by a block & do nothing)... Or do you mean as in "function, because as I outlined, 1.14 villagers are pretty non-functional.
09/30/2021 8:48 pm
Pleasenotme
-I didn't say it was a safer place, but at least they have a reason other than safety (wanting to sleep)
-That did happen several times for me
-Bugs are annoying yes :C
-Huh

-...ok lol
-...our ideas of good-looking stuff are very different
-But... they are. At least beds make sense as a destination other than for safety. But do IRL people go around looking for doors at night?
-Eh.
-Uh... we're discouraged from killing them... Why would we kill them? We can reroll their trades and killing them tends to raise prices if you don't do it right, so we really have no reason at all to kill them... I really don't get this point.
-At least it makes them SEEM like they do something. Standing at a block and making sounds seems more like work than wandering around doing literally nothing. It may not seem like much to players used to the old villagers, but it really does add to the immersion of the game.
-Uh.. no? Now they choose jobs depending on what workplace there is. They only become an armourer if there's a free blast furnace to 'forge the armour' (even if this does nothing, it adds to the immersion, the same way a chicken sounding like a chicken as opposed to a human voice saying "chicken nearby" adds to the immersion)
-Fletchers have a lot more uses. All they did earlier was convert gravel, sell arrows and sell bows. Cartographers are more useful as well. Toolsmiths, weaponsmiths and armourers too. Armourers actually sell decent armour. Toolsmiths sell more than pickaxes and shovels. Butchers have a lot more uses. Shepherds too. Almost all the professions had a lot of sensible and useful trades added to them, and I simply don't see how you can forget about all of those.
-It adds a use to illagers. By that logic I can say that making skeletons, spiders and zombies exclusive to spawners, and endermen exclusive to the end and special new spawners, and witches exclusive to witch huts would be a wonderful idea with no problems at all.
-Yeah they don't work. And chickens don't cluck, they stand and make sounds. Zombies don't kill you, they stand next to you while you get hurt. Skeletons don't shoot you, arrows just happen to appear when they're near you. Animals don't drop their meat, drops happen to appear out of thin air when they die. It adds to the immersion. The same way you use a pickaxe to break stone and not your hands.
09/28/2021 6:09 am
CC and CB Official
Same here.
09/28/2021 5:53 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
Secretboy
i dissagree with most of what you said. 1: the texture changes made the game look a lot better and if you want the old feel you can use programmer art. 2: the new villager system is better, you can change a villagers trades and you dont get all the trades at once. 3: raids are a second way of getting totems and while easier with raids you can still use the mansions to get totems. 4: the golem spawning makes iron farms a lot easier and they changed it in 1.14.1, 1.14.2, 1.14.3 and 1.14.4 to try and perfect it. 5: ok I wasn't playing at the time so I didn't experience the bugs but minecraft was growing in popularity at the time and not shrinking so it can't have been that bad. 6: yeah 1.15 was pretty boring but bees had a lot of cool mechanics. 7: pre-1.16 nether was boring. The only time you would go in the nether was to get blaze rods, skulls, travel with portals and make farms for nether stuff but 1.16 made there more purpose to going in the nether like exploring, netherite mining and hunting (in bastions) and it also made the nether look a lot better instead of just netherack, nether bricks (on fortresses), soul sand and quartz. 8: yes 1.17 is good other than the y5 bug with diamonds but that was fixed in 1.17.1. 9: the elytra changes in 1.18 are really good, especially when flying without rockets because then you use no durability, but with rockets you would probably use less durability than before with losing durability from just flying.
09/29/2021 2:13 pmhistory
TimeWarpDrive
I DISAGREE with what you said.
1: No they don't look better... Being realistic, how something looks is subjective. All the new additions are in the new style, so using Programmer art alone doesn't work.

2: How is changing the villager trades good? It just seems stupid op to me... You can instantly get unlimited mending with just 1 villager and a couple pieces of wood. And your claim that before 1.14 you "got all the trades at once" is downright false.. Maybe in 1.2, but certainly not in 1.13.

3: But why would you use the mansions? Mansions cost money to find, they're 1,000s of blocks away (With the distance you have to move increasing every time you want them), and the mansions are likely to have less evokers than a raid would. Raids on the other hand: can be summoned anywhere, offer the same (if not more totems), they're easily repeatable, and easily cheated with raid farms.. Or hell, just a wall.

4: Yeah, and they failed at perfecting it..... After 1.14 iron farms where way OP and natural villages just become overpopulated with golems.

5: What kind of argument is that? 1.14 was HORRIBLE.. It was unplayable.. It got increasingly better, but like I said, 1.15 was a bug fix update because of the shear volume of bugs made by 1.14.

6: What mechanics? flying around? Leaving their hives and then flying to their deaths straight into water? (I know these issues are fixed nowadays, but in reference 1.15 this is relevant)

7:It being boring is your opinion.. I found tons of stuff to do there, but I never called 1.16 bad. I dislike that half of the nether is now a lush forest. In terms of exploration in 1.16.. I really don't get understand that. Its basically the same terrain, but theres another layer of stuff plastered on the top.. The nether forts are pretty much the same, the terrain is physically identical, and the bastions don't really offer any re-raid-ability.... Its all very surface level.

8: Although I'll never understand why 1.18 wouldn't just be 1.17.2... They're both called "caves & cliffs" after all (I assume its some sort of quota that was put on them by higher ups)

9: NO; 1.18 elytra changes are totally broken.. You could just spam rockets for a couple of seconds and then just have your elytra break.... While gliding for several days makes the elytra take no durability.... And I feel like having elytra durability be based on rockets is just gonna make elytra hacks way more powerful.
09/24/2021 11:44 am
Level 55 : Grandmaster Explorer
sadlittletree
I honestly like versions 1.14 - 1.17.
Cuz of cool stuff, updated textures (That's why I make consistency packs) and much more fun.
09/24/2021 11:30 am
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Loremaster
wackywow
also as soon as 1.18 comes out the first thing im gonna do is try to find a datapack which keeps elytra physics and functions from pre 1.18. I mean, why change the elytra? all your doing is removing how the elytra works. Also since you now take damage with firework rockets using one, and also having no durability taken away when just gliding, phantom membranes feel kinda useless, and now we don't really have a reason to keep phantom spawning on in our worlds, which might eventually make the phantom a "forgotten and hated mob".
09/24/2021 11:21 amhistory
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Loremaster
wackywow
I find it hard to believe that Mojang literally added almost just BEES to the 1.15 release.. I mean, its cool if you're a honey fanatic or if you like speed-cropping, but besides that it was just a 'cute' mob to please 7-11yr olds when in fact they can be annoying, especially if they get in your house. And don't even get me started If you accidentally punch one. I mean, I guess it was for 'awareness, but c'mon, can't you at least do something along with that like in 1.17 where they not only had axolotls, but a whole bunch of other cool additions. I think the 1.15 update was super boring, but compared to 1.14 which absolutely TRASHED the villages and their residents, I'd say it was better.
09/28/2021 6:02 am
Pleasenotme
I actually liked 1.14 a lot. I feel like the villager mechanics are a LOT better. And don't get me started on the builds- the pre-1.14 villages look like boxes with upside-down Vs stuck on them.
09/28/2021 6:09 am
CC and CB Official
Same here, glad we aren't looking at premade homes from the Ice Age.
09/24/2021 10:56 am
Level 87 : Elite Deity
Captain_JEK
To me it got better with every new version. I have especially good memories of 1.12, 1.13 and 1.16, though. 1.16 was a great version.
09/24/2021 9:19 amhistory
Secretboy
i feel like you cant really have a time where it was best. it was always at its best. (unless you are thinking of popularity then like 1.0 to 1.8 and then 1.14 to now)
09/24/2021 9:14 am
Level 30 : Artisan Skinner
Taehyunq_
I would pick between 1.8 and 1.8.9, but I think I'm biased because I started Minecraft just a month before 1.8 was released. I also don't know much about the updates beyond 1.11/1.12. I would say, though, that 1.17+ is much better in terms of there being more content. Good question!
09/24/2021 3:31 am
Level 82 : Elite Programmer
Bittu5134
JAVA EDITION IS AT ITS BEST ALL TIME
09/24/2021 3:38 am
TimeWarpDrive
False
09/24/2021 4:09 am
Level 82 : Elite Programmer
Bittu5134
why
09/24/2021 9:13 am
TimeWarpDrive
I wouldn't call 1.10 "JAVA EDITION IS AT ITS BEST".
09/24/2021 2:31 am
Level 33 : Artisan Pig
hogbits
Minecraft after the "Combat update" (1.9) just never felt the same. I'm old school and to this day I sill try to block with my sword.
09/28/2021 7:13 am
Secretboy
F in the chat
09/28/2021 6:10 am
CC and CB Official
C'mon! We have shields now!
09/29/2021 2:32 pmhistory
TimeWarpDrive
There were blocking mechanics before.. And they were less op than "6 wood and iron makes you invincible to creepers"
09/29/2021 2:47 pm
CC and CB Official
That made the sword even more damaged and people like me didn't know which key to use to block
09/30/2021 2:13 pm
TimeWarpDrive
How did you know what key the sheild uses to block? You learned.. Its not that hard.
09/22/2021 9:06 am
Level 38 : Artisan Lemon
hawoi
2b2t, hypixel and mineplex intensifies (*Hive dies*)
09/20/2021 5:21 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
L_Oeuf
1.14 - 1.16.5
09/24/2021 3:15 am
TimeWarpDrive
1.14 is horrible...
09/28/2021 6:10 am
CC and CB Official
I mean, they did add Pillagers, but it also enhanced villagers!
09/29/2021 2:34 pm
TimeWarpDrive
Pillagers are trash.. They don't pose a threat to anyone who isn't Steven hawking and they're just weak vindicators 'but ranged'..
and 1.14 did not enhance villagers. They tried, but their changes were horribly implemented.
09/29/2021 2:47 pm
CC and CB Official
What about that time you couldn't get mending books by villagers?
09/30/2021 2:14 pm
TimeWarpDrive
You've always been able to do that... Its just been made crazy op with 1.14
09/20/2021 5:17 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Artist
Yeliouw
1.8 is when I started so it’s forever the best to me :(
09/24/2021 9:20 am
THCDPRO
1.8 best
09/15/2021 6:46 am
Pleasenotme
I like the new updates, but I think updates 1.13 and 1.14 were the best. They transformed the game from what it used to be to what it is now.
09/24/2021 3:30 am
TimeWarpDrive
How dare you say that trash is as good as 1.13...
09/20/2021 4:25 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
MinecraftIndex
Yeah very true
09/15/2021 6:52 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Musician
Redrooey
honestly the time that i miss the most was from 1.11-1.13 but in terms of how good the game is, i'd say 1.17+
09/24/2021 3:31 am
TimeWarpDrive
How do you know 1.18+ is going to be good.. they aren't even close to being out..
09/24/2021 9:06 am
Secretboy
bruh 1.18 is in snapshots and stop commenting hating people for what versions they like
09/24/2021 9:23 am
TimeWarpDrive
"bruh 1.18 is in snapshots" Thats exactly my point.. don't call the version thats not even close to out and don't call the versions (1.19+) that we don't even know about, good.

"stop commenting hating people for what versions they like" Stop commenting hating people for what versions they've never played... But seriously, Im not hating.. Im telling redrooey not to be a mojang consoomer.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome