Which aspect of Minecraft is in the most need of improvement?

Hakno's Avatar Hakno7/18/19 11:51 am history
14 emeralds 804 22
7/25/2019 10:17 am
CyberNinja_'s Avatar CyberNinja_
With Village & Pillage and the Aquatic Update, Minecraft has finally started receiving a substantial amount of content. These changes have been a breath of fresh air for the game, and have likely been the cause for its massive resurgence in popularity. However, there is arguably still much that can be improved on. For instance, many have expressed concerns that the game lacks challenges and goals.

I am curious to see what changes the community desires, so here I attempted to make a catch-all list for aspects that, as of 1.14.3, may need some improvement:

Mining - New ores, pickaxes and ways of mining.
Farming & Mobs
- New crops, foods and animals.

Combat & PVP - New weapons, potions and mechanics.
Monsters & Bosses - More challenges and rare loot.
Blocks, decoration & furniture - Improved building, new paintings and chairs that you can sit in.
Redstone & Automation - Perhaps a block that can break other blocks (other than TNT).
Structures & Dungeons - More procedurally generated structures to explore.
World Generation - Beautiful mountain ranges, realistic trees, rivers, large cave systems and new biomes.
Optimisation - Reducing lag, perhaps introducing some features that are already present in OptiFine.
Mod Integration - Official tools for modding, an official mod warehouse and more freedom for resource packs.

Which of these areas of improvements do you feel would make the biggest impact on the game?

If there are any other aspect you would like to see improved, feel free to comment them below.
Hakno
Level 57 : Grandmaster Meme

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/25/2019 10:17 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
CyberNinja_
I would enjoy a new boss, for me, I have a suggestion for a red dragon that spawns in the nether, The red dragon would obviously have a better name, and the abilities would be spitting 5 fireballs out of his mouth at an intense speed. And can scratch or bite you. This would add more adventure, and when the red dragon dies there would be a chest that would have really good loot.
I would like this dragon because of 1.) It would add adventure and exploration. 2.) The red dragon could be unique and everyone could really like it. 3.) I think the dragon would be a new challenge for everybody.
07/23/2019 6:02 am
Level 71 : Legendary Skinner
Auri
just lemme dig deeper man
07/21/2019 4:23 pm
Level 43 : Master Engineer
AmericanBagel
Mod Integration should and should not be added.

Mod Integration should NOT be added because:
  • Hackers may abuse this, and in general make life for admins on servers horrible
  • Higher risks for malware (unless cleverly designed)
  • Would mean Mojang is admitting Vanilla is bland
  • Mod devs would have to recode their pre-existing Forge mods from the ground up if they wanted it to be available for Mojang's Mod API.
  • Would slow down updates due to the increased amount of work needing to focus on adding their own API.
  • Would make command blocks almost useless (sad me)
Mod Integration SHOULD be added because:
  • Could potentially solve the problem with hackers on servers by allowing the server to read exactly what mods are being used or could disable all non-clientside mods when joining a public server without non-clientside mods.
  • Mod syncing could exist, allowing players to not have to download a modpack to play on a server, but just join it and let the game do it on its own.
  • Would allow the API to update as Minecraft does, meaning no waiting for a long time for the API to be updated.
  • Would appease parts of the community.
  • Could be more powerful than Forge and easier to code
07/22/2019 7:00 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
  • Hackers should not be allowed to take mods onto servers without the explicit design of servers allowing them to choose specific mods. This would be a critical implementation flaw that is entirely mojang's fault, not something that counts against mod integration.
  • Risks for malware would remain the same. Indeed, with official oversight, they would be vastly reduced due to the increased official scope of Mojang's involvement.
  • Not necessarily.
  • Mojang has proven not to care about it for server developers, so it would simply be par for the course in mod integration.
  • I sometimes wish Mojang's updates slowed down.
  • No more than they are now given the extent of mods that have gone further than Mojang ever has.

• Consider how they do it now. Optifine and other, more malicious client side hacks work perfectly fine, unless the server has steps in place to stop members from doing what they viably should. If Mojang was to implement this, checks and balances would be pretty much required, but it wouldn't take a revolution in design to pull off.
  • That would be nice quality of life.
  • That too would be nice.
  • Sure, though at this rate I'm pretty sure the modders that mean something are just resigned to how it is now.
  • Remains to be seen, not really a pro given how undefined that is

You have been visited by the nitwit, my apologies.
07/20/2019 10:43 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Scribe
PapaNyx
Mining definitely needs a overhaul. Mining is literally the first word in Minecraft, and besides a few new ores here and there mining really hasn't changed. This update should also overhaul the other parts of mines/caves like more unique cave generation (maybe biome based) and also updating things like mineshafts and dungeons.
07/19/2019 3:33 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Dinosaur
DinowCookie
A while back we had a discussion on the forums about how survival isn't very survival anymore. Can't remember exactly who with. 🤔
In any case, that's one point of criticism I can understand. Survival feels more like freebuild with a little extra gathering difficulty added in the mix. It's really not much of a challenge to survive anymore, and death is normally bad luck rather than an actual challenge to avoid.

Because of this, I think that some extra customizability for gameplay settings would be nice. Perhaps even introduce a new/altered gamemode in which survival is really a survival challenge.
07/21/2019 4:14 pm
AmericanBagel
Survival just feels like Creative but annoying and I have to pain-stakingly gather a few diamonds with nothing to look at but stone and the occasional coal ore.
07/19/2019 4:04 pm
Hakno
Very much this. Before beds were added to the game, it would be difficult to make it through the night, which gave you an incentive to build a shelter.

With all the armour, weapons and enchantments we have now, the player becomes more and more powerful, but the game does not scale in difficulty. Aside from the nether and end dimension, there are few areas or biomes that are challenging.
07/19/2019 4:10 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Dinosaur
DinowCookie
Another aspect is food being available 'o plenty. For it to be true survival, I think it should be harder to obtain and cultivate. 😁 Hunger was added, but it's more of a nuisance than it is an actual challenging aspect. 😅

Don't want to spew hate all over gameplay here though, I do like the Minecraft 'survival' gameplay mode the way it is, for a relaxing game of roaming around, but I don't think the name 'survival' really suits the gameplay anymore in its current form.
07/21/2019 6:02 am
raidarr
Personally, I've never considered survival to be particularly great nor challenging, especially after the initial stages. It's a stumped creative with a tricky start, and it is more true than ever.

Such is why I never really caught onto it, since other games simply do survival better, while Minecraft's true niche lies in what you can actually make.
07/19/2019 8:17 am
raidarr
These days I'd like more polish and more stable releases in general, rather than adding and persistently causing breakage in various parts of the wider community.

I want to have faith that a serious update is going to work when I load it, rather than requiring no less than three additional updates just to make it function properly.In extension, I'd like them to polish things that exist, rather than continuously throw in new.
07/19/2019 7:48 pm
Level 26 : Expert Ninja
AwesomeNinja886
A cave update would include the Nether (because the Nether is a giant cave), and both features need a major update.
07/19/2019 4:28 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Professor
EndPlayz
It just so happened that on the day of me replying, I saw a video named 'A serious critique of minecraft' (I recommend watching it) and it did have a point. The driving factor of survival mode, the dangers of the night, is gone after a few days, because you can just go mining for diamonds and be protected for basic mobs.
I can't make the point of that video in this comment, but it mainly said that a cave update is a good idea, but again, watch the video if you want the whole point.
07/19/2019 12:25 pm
Level 73 : Legendary Modder
dreamCritting
you can't do anything while it loads which is anoying when you have mods
07/21/2019 4:15 pm
AmericanBagel
The game isn't designed to work well with mods. This is Forge's problem, not Mojang's.
07/19/2019 8:33 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Cake
Heroder55
I would vote for them all if I could.
07/19/2019 12:09 am
Level 23 : Expert Procrastinator
Energy Master
As much as I like having new blocks, I would love to see more dungeons and above ground structures
07/18/2019 3:58 pm
Level 24 : Expert Pixel Painter
OmegaVortex
There's just one little thing driving me crazy with the most recent version...

THE WORLD'S CHUNKS DON'T LOAD! D:
07/18/2019 4:07 pmhistory
Hakno
A few things can improve that. First try reducing the render distance.
If that doesn't work, try going into installations in the launcher and allocate more RAM.
You can also reload the chunks by pressing F3 + A.
07/18/2019 4:16 pm
Level 24 : Expert Pixel Painter
OmegaVortex
My problem is that I use a Mac instead of a PC. (I know, I'm crazy) so that kind of thing doesn't really work for me for the most part. But thanks for the input anyway.
07/18/2019 3:32 pmhistory
Level 51 : Grandmaster Professor
Eli the Zeratoed
I've got to say both optimization and more tools to easily create your own mods without the need of too much scripting (heck, even a mod updating tool would be amazing for those mods that haven't been updated in forever!). It's just that to me, the newer versions of Minecraft are way too overstuffed with new mobs and such that I can't even keep up with texturing them for my resource pack (since it's very simple and cartoony). All I want is a breather update that allows me to enjoy the new version of Minecraft and take a break for once, because it's already just a huge strain on my creativity and it forces me to stay on older versions because of it (and the MPM mod too since it doesn't have a 1.13 update yet). Also, the ability to turn off autocorrect for the commands and recipe notifications (Stupidly called "toasts." Like what were you thinking, Microsoft!?) would be amazing.
07/18/2019 12:03 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Meme
Mangled
If I could vote for two I'd say mining and world generation. :)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome