Why did the Notch Apple recipe got removed?

ChorusCraft's Avatar ChorusCraft9/15/18 1:23 pm
3 emeralds 8.8k 2
9/29/2018 8:28 am
ShelLuser's Avatar ShelLuser
So, if you joined minecraft before the update 1.9, you might remember that there was a recipe for the infamously overpowered Notch Apple. The recipe contained a simple apple placed at the center of the nine crafting tiles while 8 blocks of gold are placed at the borders, surrounding the apple. What this rewards you, is an apple that provides you 30 seconds of Level 5 Regeneration, Absorption for 2 minutes, Resistance for 5 minutes, and Fire Resistance for 5 minutes. And to be honest with you, eating the Notch Apple before 1.9 just made you feel not only intimidating, but unstoppable for the others for a short time. With the insane level of Regeneration provided into you, you feel invincible because your health will be healed to full immediately with no problem.

But when 1.9 arrived, the Notch Apple didn't only got nerfed with Level 2 Regeneration and all that, but its recipe got removed as well, making it a nonrenewable resource for now. And speaking of the recipe, this is what it looked like before the update released.

Recipe for the good ol' Notch Apple

And for the big question said from the title of this thread: why did it got removed? Was gold too easy to find in caves, or was making a Zombie Pigman farm felt too rewarding? The world may never know.
ChorusCraft
Level 33 : Artisan Pixel Painter