Why does Multiplayer Minecraft now suck!

BeastlyBrock's Avatar BeastlyBrock9/21/18 1:04 am history
1 emeralds 1.3k 13
9/24/2018 12:07 am
Vepii's Avatar Vepii
I do not get it. Multiplayer used to be fantastic! Every server you joined had its own community and so many different community formed around different kind of servers. I still look for good servers to play on but in my 1+ Year of looking the only good servers are whitelist! Did i just grow up to much? Do i just not look hard enough? Am i looking in the wrong place, I have no idea. The only servers people play on are big servers with hundreds of people. i like these servers for mini games and that's it! People come and go on those servers, ruin the land or build something in 20 minutes then leave and never return. Servers used to be so much different to that. We used to have towns full of active people, And an average person would have 2-3 servers they are active on. Another thing that destroyed the amazing multiplayer of minecraft was people trying to make money off servers. Ranks used to be earned based on play time and skills not how much you paid for it. Anyone that puts more money in this games is a complete idiot!! Maybe if you've played the same server for months and was very loyal to it. Minecraft multiplayer has turned to shit, I really want someone to change my mind on that. I'm a 19 year old Australian that has played since i was 12. If you think you can change my mind and show me a good server then i am open to that, Or if anyone is dedicated enough i would love to try and start some cool minecraft projects with people. An
BeastlyBrock
Level 1 : New Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/23/2018 11:47 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
25cody123
Messaged you check it out.
09/23/2018 10:46 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner
BostonNerdism
skyblock.net is a great survival server with a great community

Skyblock.net is the ip and the website for it
09/22/2018 5:13 pm
Level 25 : Expert Engineer
Vepii
It's just that fewer people play Minecraft. I personally found a server two months ago with a great community and players/staff. I now Dev for them too. You just need the right people to make it fantastic.
09/23/2018 9:46 pm
BeastlyBrock
I haven't had friends on this game in a long time, its hard to find dedicated people
09/24/2018 12:07 am
Level 25 : Expert Engineer
Vepii
Well I got a server (1.8 - 1.12.2) and we have a few pretty good and friendly players. The ip is pumpkincraft.mymc.cf
09/22/2018 10:28 am
Level 42 : Master Taco
spychicken123
if u wanna Towny Survival server, its blackplasma.xyz its good cuz its not a ton of people, and its not pure vanilla and there are a bit of plugins so you can sell stuff at shops and have money, but its really fun.
09/23/2018 9:45 pm
BeastlyBrock
I will definitely check out this server
09/22/2018 9:07 am
Level 1 : New Miner
TheMCmanefe
well i totally agree with you that mc serevrs hav gone down a ton in value, and mc overall hs not helped itself. There is one server that even though it is pretty heavily modded has a nice community, an update coming on 2 of its games, and it is rather small (50 players or less online) the IP is play.yomnetwork.ca
there is a midevil gamemode with update coming and that is my favourite, and if u need help with it just ask a high ranked player, everyont there is nice and always helpful. that gamemode is towny, and pvp/adventure
09/23/2018 9:45 pm
BeastlyBrock
I will check it out, thanks for the ip!
09/21/2018 6:42 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
"change my mind" prove your point

Sorry, obligatory response to that silliness. To the points. I rather agree that servers have been suffering from multiple broad issues that have steadily decreased their general worth over time, but I disagree that the servers themselves are necessarily the issue or that people used to do what you mentioned for many years.

In my time on minecraft, I would say up to 2013 was the 'prime time'. However, it was rife with staff hunting, hacks like the op cheat scares, low quality, server after server opening (not that it was a huge issue compared to later in my opinion, granted some shifts I'll note below) and the seeds of low quality that would continue later.

In the years after are when it seemed like the server community moved to a new status quo phase, cloning. Originality is a thing of new platforms, where the expanses of the game are unexplored, and crowds don't horde to particular modes. I'll throw in pubg/fortnite into one basket and say that there was a time before those games. Once those games came into the picture, Battle Royale became the flavor, and people everywhere would try to clone and emulate it, sometimes to the total detriment of their production due to chopping out the heart of what they had before. I would say the same occured with Factions servers. A decent idea to start with that eventually flooded server pages so completely that no particular factions server was any better than the other in that sea, because the vast majority were sloppy garbage that people flung out to the world and posthumously hired staff to do the legwork from there. The servers with careful development were buried and the servers lucky enough to get the right people flourished, because those people happened to have friends that established the 'boot in the door' to let that server last for more than 3 months. This is the point where I think collective quality kicked the bucket completely, and that was years ago.

For the most part though, anything 'fantastic' is somewhat a matter of luck. Most places are incohesive messes with botched development, and yet some of those lasted for specific reasons, such as a decent owner or just haphazard fun that kept people coming back to continue the clown show. And then you do find that occasional server that is actually very good, and those have always existed. Still do. What makes a server good and playable ultimately depends on the player, and if you don't have the mood for it anymore, you're probably not going to reclaim that nostalgia.

People have always gone into servers, griefed and left. It was a staple of poorly protected spawns for the years I mentioned. I considered it a mark of natural age to see a static warp wild's surroundings on a factions server look like crap. I do think active people have gone down quite a bit, contributing to the problem and possibly creating what you are seeing right now. For one thing, there used to be a certainty of having 20 people go onto the server just to look for staff. The same sort of post these days might be lucky to get one or two.

People have always attempted to make money off servers; indeed, I think it is somewhat better now than it was a couple years back, where it was total norm and Mojang simply never cared to comment. Mojang commenting is a start in my book. But this is not a 'now' factor. I've seen it for years.

Minecraft multiplayer has followed a linear line of apathy, dropping quality thanks to the influx of the very young and departure of older players, and the flavor of the week idea to make hub networks for servers that can't scrape 5 players out of a full barrel due to sloppy execution and no tangible niche. change my mind
09/21/2018 3:27 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
I have some problems with your story..

So the only good servers you encountered were whitelisted? One way or the other it means that you did find a server you liked and/or enjoyed. So your topic contradicts your story: multiplayer doesn't suck, only some servers do. Also: why not ask those admins to open up their server? ;)

Another problem I have is that I now question the way you approached those servers. I mean.. when you connected to my favorite server all you started with was "whine" (no: not really whining but it did leave that first impression on me) how multiplayer sucked and pointed our attention to your PMC post. With all due respect: that's a seriously lousy way to get started on a server.

BUT.. I do respect your honesty here. Fair is fair.

So.. I'm not going to try and change your mind but I would like to raise this issue: "Does the multiplayer really suck or have you perhaps grown over it and got bored with the whole concept?".
09/21/2018 3:57 am
BeastlyBrock
So the title Minecraft multiplayer sucks is a little misleading, It does suck, it sucks %100. Compared to the way it used to be. The golden ages of minecraft was when we had small plugins. Just before the big hunger games phase hit. i enjoyed my short amount of time on your favourite server and i may even play it again. That server was the first i joined for my research so naturally i didn't know how to bring it up that was my fault and i even wrote that down when i wrote notes about my experience on that server.
09/22/2018 6:53 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
It sucks compared to the way it used to be? I can appreciate your opinion on that matter but I also know that not everyone would agree with it. Sure some things changed here and there, yet some players welcome that change whereas others long back for the old times.

Also important to note is that there are plenty of servers out there who feel just like you: they remained using 1.8.10 for several reasons (this is usually mostly PVP related) and still provide the same experiences.

Which is the main reason why I don't think it sucks: the multiplayer concept itself gives us players everything we might want or need. Don't enjoy the new version(s)? Don't upgrade.

Which is also the reason why I think you can't really judge the whole concept like that; it's much too diverse. There's pretty much a server for any kind of gaming style right now.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome