Will this work with my PC?

likn's Avatar likn4/27/16 3:04 pm
1 emeralds 424 8
4/27/2016 10:08 pm
Leeberator's Avatar Leeberator
I have an Optiplex 760 Desktop model (the desktop model, look it up if you're confused which one it is) and I bought a GPU for it and it's coming soon. I don't know if the GPU will work with it since the minimum Power Supply wattage is 400 and I have a 255W Power supply. The card is a XFX - Core Edition Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card. I can't upgrade the PSU on the Optiplex because it's a custom PSU and the one I have in it is the best one they offer. Will the card still work?
likn
Level 23 : Expert Nerd

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/27/2016 10:08 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
_ca
I already bought the Radeon R7 250 that's low profile ready and it's already in my computer working fine.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood what you meant by dual slot PCIe cards. The card came with the non low profile bracket on but came with 2 low profile brackets that I installed on the card. I thought dual slot PCIe card meant it takes up 2 slots. I'll just show you what it looks like in pictures....

If the GPU had already been ordered and was coming today, why did you make this thread? It's a bit too late to double-check to make sure what you bought will work - that's something you ask about before you click "buy." Sounds like you lucked out, though. The GPU came with a single-slot, low-profile bracket that let you install it in your computer. That's great, but I do still suggest you return it. There are better options for your money, like the 750 Ti I linked.

(From AnandTech)
04/27/2016 9:47 pm
likn
LeeTheENTP
_ca
Hmm... maybe you're thinking of something else? The GPU is currently running fine and 2 of the 3 slots are being taken up right now. The last GPU I have used also used up 2 slots so the Optiplex 760 Desktop model does work with dual slots.

I do have to say I had to modify the CPU heatsink cover which was pretty simple. On the heatsink cover, there is this little useless plastic piece sticking out and it doesn't seem to have any use other than provide the heatsink cover to come off easier but it's still held in by screws. I had to cut that plastic part half off because the GPU was a bit too big. It came off with ease and the GPU is working fine in the computer and everything is running.

If the current GPU in the 760 is a dual-slot card, then it is using the PCI slot.

As you can tell by this picture, the motherboard layout is designed to prevent dual-slot PCIe cards from being used. The expansion bracket slot for each corresponding motherboard slot is raised compared to the slot on the motherboard, which means the cards face up instead of down.

And to make matters worse, the GPU you use must be low-profile. The one you linked is low-profile, but it does not appear to come with a low-profile bracket. In order to make it work, you would have to find a single-slot, low-profile bracket that is compatible with the video connectors it features. If you plan to go that route, this is your best bet:

GTX 750 Ti
Adapter bracket

I already bought the Radeon R7 250 that's low profile ready and it's already in my computer working fine.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood what you meant by dual slot PCIe cards. The card came with the non low profile bracket on but came with 2 low profile brackets that I installed on the card. I thought dual slot PCIe card meant it takes up 2 slots. I'll just show you what it looks like in pictures....
04/27/2016 9:34 pm
Leeberator
_ca
Hmm... maybe you're thinking of something else? The GPU is currently running fine and 2 of the 3 slots are being taken up right now. The last GPU I have used also used up 2 slots so the Optiplex 760 Desktop model does work with dual slots.

I do have to say I had to modify the CPU heatsink cover which was pretty simple. On the heatsink cover, there is this little useless plastic piece sticking out and it doesn't seem to have any use other than provide the heatsink cover to come off easier but it's still held in by screws. I had to cut that plastic part half off because the GPU was a bit too big. It came off with ease and the GPU is working fine in the computer and everything is running.

If the current GPU in the 760 is a dual-slot card, then it is using the PCI slot.

As you can tell by this picture, the motherboard layout is designed to prevent dual-slot PCIe cards from being used. The expansion bracket slot for each corresponding motherboard slot is raised compared to the slot on the motherboard, which means the cards face up instead of down.

And to make matters worse, the GPU you use must be low-profile. The one you linked is low-profile, but it does not appear to come with a low-profile bracket. In order to make it work, you would have to find a single-slot, low-profile bracket that is compatible with the video connectors it features. If you plan to go that route, this is your best bet:

GTX 750 Ti
Adapter bracket
04/27/2016 7:34 pm
likn
LeeTheENTPAs I said in your other thread, no version of the OptiPlex 760 will fit a dual-slot GPU.
LeeTheENTPThe PSU will handle a 750 Ti, but the way the expansion card slots are set up you can only fit in a single-slot GPU. The 9010 is the first (and only as far as I know) SFF OptiPlex that allows dual-slot GPUs. A lot of the standard-sized OptiPlexes do not even support dual-slot GPUs.

04/27/2016 6:54 pm
Leeberator
As I said in your other thread, no version of the OptiPlex 760 will fit a dual-slot GPU.
LeeTheENTPThe PSU will handle a 750 Ti, but the way the expansion card slots are set up you can only fit in a single-slot GPU. The 9010 is the first (and only as far as I know) SFF OptiPlex that allows dual-slot GPUs. A lot of the standard-sized OptiPlexes do not even support dual-slot GPUs.
04/27/2016 6:20 pm
Level 46 : Master Baconator
BRASHEXODUS
my old r7 didnt handle intel very well. but my old gt 620 did wonders lol. so im pretty sure you can play at a decent framerate with that card. just make sure you have optifine.
04/27/2016 3:43 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
Should be fine, as the most I've seen a 240 draw is around 122, so it should be fine, although if it starts to crash games, then you will need a new PSU
04/27/2016 6:02 pm
likn
Is the Graphics card good for playing Minecraft? I was hoping I would be able to play shaders at an OK framerate.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome