If you act like a girl online, are you a girl?

Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox3/29/14 8:05 pm
1 emeralds 1.9k 23
4/13/2014 4:16 pm
deadacct's Avatar deadacct
Obviously if you ask this question in relation to the outside world, most people would say no since you'd have to do some major wardrobe hacking to modify your physical look to not make you look like a girl.

But one thing I kinda think...If somebody LOOKS like a girl, and they ACT like a girl, and WANTS to be treated like a girl, then even if their physical gender is a boy, I'd honestly treat that person as a girl.

So if in the internet, somebody DECLARES themself as a girl, has their IN-GAME CHARACTER as a girl, and ACTS like a girl (No, not faking a cutesy tone and trying to get freebies from idiotic male players...I mean, like when they speak, they speak in the perspective of being a girl, such as comfortably noting that they'd love to wear a particular skirt), I would consider that person a girl.

Yes, that's a very strange perspective, but hey, that's my opinion. I treat people the way they want to be treated, kind of. And I don't really support a "You'll never be a girl if you are born a boy" argument.

What about you guys? What is your criteria for considering a person as a "girl"? Do you refuse all but proven physical criteria, and say there are no girls on the internet? Or do you consider them a girl if they have a girl character, even if they want themselves to be treated as a guy?
Snowyfox
Level 26 : Expert Princess

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/13/2014 4:16 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
deadacct
The_Big_DishIf the OP is referring to trans people then yeah, treat them like the gender they say they are its pretty rude to not. I don't even know why this is something that still needs to be argued.

I completely agree with this.
If someone pets a dog and says "Aw, he's so cute!" and the owner says "She, actually." the person petting the dog will immediately correct themselves. Why don't people do this with... well, other people?
04/13/2014 3:56 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dragon
The_Big_Dish
If the OP is referring to trans people then yeah, treat them like the gender they say they are its pretty rude to not. I don't even know why this is something that still needs to be argued.

But in game characters is kinda like a thing of its own, people may pick a gender different than the one they or even lie about it, honestly its not that unusual. Usually has little to do with their own gender identification or trans people. I would respect that too unless they are doing it for harmful reasons. I mean if someone feels the need to lie about their gender there is probably some reason so don't be a dick about it.
04/13/2014 3:37 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Goblin
poltercreeper
since you can never really know on the internet, you just have to treat them according to the way they act
04/13/2014 2:28 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
PrinceofThieves
Mercer444
I don't get the whole "acting like a boy" or "acting like a girl" thing. That's stereotyping. Not all girls are all make-up and skirts and rubbish, and not all boys are football and gaming. It's a stereotype implied that is almost (?) forcing the people of that gender to act like that? It's like when you're born, a girl is always pink cards, a boy blue. That's really stereotypical.

It's not "boy and girl" as what you thing. It's what you look like, which everyone knows "isn't what you are inside". Hormones can put people forward to act differently depending on your gender, which is uncontrollable. Yet, it is perfectly fine for a boy to like what a stereotype girl likes, and vice versa. A boy pretending to be a girl online is very self-dismissive as they're basically showing that they can't be themselves as a male. A girl being a boy for a laugh with her friends isn't wrong, not exactly, unless if it involves others in a way they don't find funny.

JazzyZ401
Physically, you are as you were born, and that will never change, you either have XX chromosomes or XY chromosomes. The only exception to this is someone with XXY chromosomes. Mentally however, we are not bound by genders. We are defined by our personalities, not our genetics.

There are a ton of different ways to identify as one gender or the other.
Firstly, there is your physical gender. She is physically a girl because she has breasts. He is physically a boy because he has a p****. That's one way.
Another way is chromosomes, as Jazzy stated. It is possible to have XX chromosomes and physically be a boy. There are crossovers.
Studies show that a male's brains are 10% larger than female's. But some physical females actually have the larger brain as such in a male, which is another way to identify gender.
Then, in my opinion, the most important is what the person identifies themself as. It is possible to identify as both. One day, they may be feeling more like a female, or the next day they feel more masculine and therefore identify as a boy.
I believe its been proven that there are 5 scientific ways to identify gender and no one person ever fits all five as female or all five as male.
04/13/2014 2:13 pm
Level 46 : Master Artist
JazzyZ401
Personally I agree 100% with you in the sense of mental description. A lot of prude, immature, or close minded people will say the only thing that matters with this is anatomy, however they're a dying race. Physically, you are as you were born, and that will never change, you either have XX chromosomes or XY chromosomes. The only exception to this is someone with XXY chromosomes. Mentally however, we are not bound by genders. We are defined by our personalities, not our genetics. Over the internet, nobody is any gender. The only time gender is truly a factor is when that person is displaying their own physical image. If you are truly mentally a girl, then yes, you are a girl online. If you were born a boy, and are mentally a girl, then yes, you are a girl online. If you were born a boy, and are mentally a girl, then no, you are not physically a girl, and never will be.
04/13/2014 3:40 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Goblin
poltercreeper
btw, there is more unusual combos then just XXY
04/13/2014 2:00 pm
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
04/13/2014 3:49 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Architect
PizzaPenguin_
This. 100% this. ^^^
04/13/2014 1:59 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Fisherman
Aegeah
Well, I like to be treated fairly, as an equal. This is like saying girls should get freebies and males should serve the "gods that are the 5 girls on the internet"... Hell no. There are loads of girls on the internet but we are all different, and I have no problem with that. If someone wants to be treated like a girly girl, then let them, same if someone wants to be treated like a guy, then let them be treated like a guy. We all have different preferences for what we like.
04/13/2014 1:58 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
JubJubSamz
just like how this guy wants to be identified as a unicorn XD
04/13/2014 1:55 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
JubJubSamz
I agree so much with this topic. people just kinda judge you based on what gender you are in game, so if you want to play/look/act like another gender why should anybody judge you?
04/13/2014 1:54 pm
Level 23 : Expert Crab
Morneite
i don't know. are you? ~o3o~
04/13/2014 1:50 pm
Level 24 : Expert Scribe
AslanGrants
If they wanna be treated as a girl, so be it. I'll accept it. I don't judge...Too much...
04/13/2014 1:45 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Zombie
Repson
I don't see why people can't be tolerant of peoples decisions on what gender they want to be identified as, if you want to be a girl, be one. if you want to be a boy, be one. its not hurting me, it doesn't affect me at all. so go ahead. do what you want. i have absoluley no problem with it.
04/13/2014 1:51 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
KingPsychopath
Speaking outside the internet, say your straight would you be comfortable dating them as they want to be treated as a girl?
04/13/2014 1:41 pm
Level 24 : Expert Architect
Chemical_Paradox
Gender Bender
04/13/2014 1:36 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Crafter
Chromesome
Yeah, if anyone wants to say they're a girl, or acts like one, and wants to be one, then by all means, I'll treat them like one. It's how they want to be treated, so show them respect by treating them the way requested. Enough said.
04/13/2014 1:32 pm
Snowyfox
Anybody else?
03/29/2014 8:22 pm
Level 28 : Expert Nerd
GlissandoGirl
PrinceofThievesIf someone wishes to be called a female even though they have a male body or if they want to be called a male if they have a female body, you should respect that whether it be in the real world or online.

This. As long as they aren't trolling to get stuff, then I will refer to them by whatever gender they want to be known as. With the Internet, you may never know whether someone's physical gender anyway.
03/29/2014 8:20 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Answer
TheViridian
If somebody is a boy, then I call them one. If someone's a girl, I call them one.
03/29/2014 8:18 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Narwhal
mrgdoesmc
Im not reading this GENDERBENDER crap
03/29/2014 8:20 pm
Snowyfox
04/13/2014 3:20 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
kogan007
Beware the whitewalkers. *Cough* Forum users *cough*
03/29/2014 8:16 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
PrinceofThieves
This is moving close to the whole trans/cis/genderqueer topic (if you dont know the differences, please read this) and whatnot. People need to respect others opinions of themselves. You cannot make someone be something they themselves are not. If someone is acting like a girl online for the right reasons, obviously not what you said as trying to get people to give them things, but because they actually believe themselves to be a girl, how would you even know?

When I am online gaming and I come across a woman character, I automatically assume they are female. I will call them a 'her' or 'she' unless they specifically state the opposite. Same as if they are playing a male character. I myself mostly choose to play as a male character even though I am female because some games offer different upgrades or advantages to being male (which isn't fair sometimes, but in the world we live in ).

If someone wishes to be called a female even though they have a male body or if they want to be called a male if they have a female body, you should respect that whether it be in the real world or online.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome