1.12.2 Optifine doesn't show up in MC launcher

Quirinalis's Avatar Quirinalis10/19/18 6:16 pm
10/20/2018 8:51 am
ShelLuser's Avatar ShelLuser
I'm not much of a crack when it comes to these things, so please help me haha

I installed the right Optifine 1.12.2 version, the right Java version, did extra the Optifine file and installed Forge, but still, the optifine version doesn't show up in my versions list.

Am I doing something wrong?
Many people have tried to help me but they couldn't find anything either, so I'm looking for new ideas here or for people who had the same problem.

Does anyone have an idea?

Quirinalis
Level 51 : Grandmaster Sweetheart

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/20/2018 6:16 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
Why Forge though? You don't need Forge in order to run OptiFine.

Basically you can install OptiFine in 2 ways, depending on your usage. To get it to work with vanilla Minecraft you need to start the installer. If you have Java properly setup you can simply double click the jarfile, and then the installer should show. This will install OptiFine and create a new launcher profile. That is... if you tell it to. You can also choose to 'Extract' OptiFine but other than unpacking it doesn't really do anything.

The second way to install it applies if you're running a mod loader such as Forge. In that case you can simply copy the jarfile to your 'mods' folder (in your Minecraft folder) and you're done. It won't create a new launcher because there's no need: OptiFine will be used as a mod within Forge. So you'd fire up Forge and not OptiFine directly.

Hope this can help!
10/20/2018 6:32 am
Quirinalis
Managed to run 1.12.2 forge, but not with optifine even though it is (unpacked) in my mods folder. The only thing that happens with I click on the Optifine jar file, it just extracts.

I'm just so confused haha
10/20/2018 8:51 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
If you want to run it with Forge you don't need to unpack it. Just put it into the mods folder like any other mod, so only the jarfile. The rest will happen automatically.

Double clicking on a jarfile will basically trigger whatever program got associated with that, so I assume that's an archiver in your case. The easiest way to undo this is by re-installing Java. That should also re-associate Java with the .jar extension, which means that the program will actually run once you double clicked it.
10/19/2018 6:24 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Engineer
Rattyguy
Does the Optifine you installed appear in the .minecraft/versions folder?
10/20/2018 6:04 am
Quirinalis
No, only the forge 1.12.2 appears, no optifine
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome