Cause for constant server crashes?

Chorals's Avatar Chorals6/24/18 1:04 pm
8/24/2018 5:11 am
Thymph's Avatar Thymph
Hi,

I own a survival server that has around 10-15 players on average online. We have 20~ plugins and they're really only essential plugins so the server itself shouldn't be too intensive. We also have a server with 4GB RAM. Our server specs are an Intel Xeon E5-2630v3 processor, an SSD, DDR4 ECC RAM and a 1 Gbps uplink connection. Overall this should really be more than enough for the server I am running. Sadly, this is not the case. We usually experience about 3-4 crashes a day. Before the server crashes, we get major lag. I tried contacting my server host, but they don't really help. I've tried 2 different hosts but the crashes still pertain. It got so out of hand, I closed down my server until the issues could be resolved. 90% of the time, the crashes are not followed by any sort of error message, it just shows everyone disconnecting for "timed out" and they're able to reconnect.

My plugin list:

Autorank, Clearlag, CoreProtect-Anti-Xray, CoreProtect, DiscordSRV, EssentialsX, HolographicDisplays, MinePacks, Multiverse, PlugMan, PluginLibrary, ProtocolLib, Staff+, Statz, Vault, WildTP, JoinMessagePlus, StaffChat, WorldEdit, and WorldGuard.

Our logs during the crash:

https://paste.ee/p/lCG3f

Please help!
Chorals
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/27/2018 3:07 am
Level 31 : Artisan Procrastinator
Thymph
You mentioned everything except how much ram you have. the ammount of RAM can greatly affect a servers performance
07/01/2018 9:59 pm
Chorals
Um, I did mention the amount of RAM I have
07/03/2018 7:30 am
Level 31 : Artisan Procrastinator
Thymph
Sorry, please excuse my mistake
06/26/2018 9:05 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Cake
carbonawk
Can you post a full server log? or at least a large log than this?
Also since you appear to run plugins, would it happen to be spigot? if so, could you run timings till this problem occurs? Reset if it takes longer of course.
07/01/2018 10:00 pm
Chorals
I removed 10~ plugins, and it seems as though the problem has been resolved.
06/25/2018 2:05 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice System
SilvaSky54
You could try removing plugins one by one to see if the server stops lagging and crashing. Don't reinstall the plugins until you are satisfied you found which one is causing the issue (if any). If you do happen to find a plugin that is causing the issue then reinstall the others and see if that helps.

Also you should look into doing a timings report while the server is lagging.
06/25/2018 6:45 amhistory
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
You're leaving out some very important info here,without that all we can do is guess.

Log file doesn't tell us anything. How exactly are you starting the server? What command line parameters do you use? The server: what server? Spigot, Forge, Paper? And what version?

Just as important: what OS are you using? What version, what revision. Equally important: which Java version do you use?

What brand network card does that server use? Are you sure its properly supported by the OS?

(edit)

You get major lag, but what does the server itself do? I assume you can still log on (SSH perhaps?) or do you simply use a virtual console of some sort? During lag, what's the status of the servers network connection? Can the server itself still reach the outside?

See. for all I know you could also be under the receiving end of a DoS / DDoS attack which targets your server.
06/26/2018 7:04 pm
Chorals
Hi,
The server I am currently using is a server hosted by a Minecraft Server host, so I do not have access to half of the things that you asked for (SSH, VM Console, etc.) however I used to use a local machine and we experienced the same exact lag issues as before, so I'm going to try to answer your questions with answers pertaining to the physical machine that I used to run it on (those will be in parentheses) as well as our current server host (since both our MC server host and our local machine had all of the same problems)

I'm starting the server by pressing START on the online server console, it just uses the default start parameters, I would assume. I tried both Spigot 1.12.2 and Paper 1.12.2.
(I used CubeCoders AMP, which is an application management panel, so I was able to just press start; it used default parameters; Spigot 1.12.2 and Paper 1.12.2)

I have no clue what OS it is using, the panel says Java 8.
(My physical machine ran on the latest version of CentOS with Java 8)

I have no clue, it's a MC server host so they don't tell you. Since it's a professional host that's been running since 2012, I would seriously hope they chose one supported by whatever OS they chose to use.
(On the physical machine I used to run the server on, I just connected ethernet directly to the motherboard ethernet port. The machine is a Dell OptiPlex 760, and that model is supported by CentOS)

I'll try to explain it to the best of my abilities. I'm going to explain the problem when I had the physical machine running the server, as I had more control of that machine so I know more of what was going on. Anyway, the server would be running fine, let's say there were 7 players online at the time. Out of nowhere, every single player would be kicked for "Timed out". The CPU usage would spike to 100% before going back to normal (it's normally at 5-10%). The OS didn't freeze or anything, it just kicked everyone. The server didn't restart or anything like that, it stayed online, it just kicked everyone. Sometimes, 5-10 seconds before we would get major lag (chat would be rolling in slowly, blocks would take time to place, etc) The server itself still can reach the outside.

We're a small survival server, this certainly is not a targeted attack. Back when I ran my physical machine (that was connected to my home network which is capable of running a server because it's 500mb download speed and usually 100~mb upload speed) my internet would be fine on all of my other computers, so it was just the server experiencing this issue.

Hope this helps.
06/27/2018 2:29 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
Well, in that case I'm tempted to blame one of the plugins you're using. Seems like the most obvious choice here; also because that seems to be the only mutual thing on both servers.

You might want to try and remove some to see if that makes a difference.
06/24/2018 11:03 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
thunderbolt73
Sounds like a host problem to be honest. Who do you use?
06/26/2018 7:07 pm
Chorals
It shouldn't be- I've tried 2 different hosts (one host was a local machine that I hosted myself and the second was an actual online Minecraft server host)
06/26/2018 7:37 pmhistory
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
thunderbolt73
Hmmm.... maybe try removing clearlag? Everything already has a set time to automatically despawn, so clearlag only creates more lag. If you increased the interval by a significant amount it could be causing the problem.

Also, which host are you using? Not all of them are good.
06/24/2018 3:08 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Miner
Only The Best
Have you tried getting rid of DiscordSRV?
(starts the problem)
06/24/2018 4:15 pm
Chorals
Yep. Doesn't seem to be the issue.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome