Creating a highly modded highly custom RPG server, help!

kdude321's Avatar kdude3211/31/17 2:07 pm
1 emeralds 421 6
2/6/2017 10:34 pm
Miss Shadowz's Avatar Miss Shadowz
Hey guys! So, a quick introduction to who I am. I am an experienced server owner who has run a few different servers, and ive also helped others run servers. Okay, so, onto my idea. Basically, a few years back, I was approached by a French server owner (Due to my admin experience and me being bilingual). He ran, and still runs in France a highly modded RPG server. The premises of his servers are its a world map, with a world economy and each country can be owned by players. So, he started a US based server, well within the first 2 months it took off, 40 players online at peak times, with new players joining everyday. Unlike a factions server that maybe retains 1 out of 4 new players, if that, we where retaining 3 out of 4. To go into depth more on how the server worked, players would join and spawn at a United Nations sort of building. From there they where free to roam, once a set number of players banded together they would apply for a country on the forums (IE you needed I believe 5 players to start a country) youd then find the country on the map, and start to build your country up. Weekly there where something called notations in which countries would be ranked, the higher rank the more money you received as a country. This money would go towards paying your members to do jobs, buying arms, etc. There was also a UN meeting weekly, and guide lines to when a country could go to war, and a limit on missiles launched per day, and types.

NOW: Seeing as this server was popular in the US/Canada/Mexico area for the 2-3 months it ran here, my idea is simple. I'm going to recreate this type of RPG server, as I'm yet to find another like it, while making the idea my own. This will not be a direct copy of the server, for better or for worst. Ive already made a mod pack for the server, although its still being decided on. This is where you guys come in. I need feedback on the mods I choose. There are a few I'm hesitant to add as I don't want to over complicate things, the nice thing about the server was it played the same as vanilla. All modded items where basically bought, received in some way shape or form. Very little was actually crafted so it played extremely like vanilla. The problem with that is that the mods where not used to there full potential because of it. My question to you guys, the players, do you want an RPG server with modded items that plays like vanilla or a RPG server that has a fully functional modded items (A lot more versatile In how you play but harder to learn and grasp)

As for what mods, at the moment these are the mods:
Mekanism
Armour Stats HUD
4space
buildcraft
Chisel
Defense Tech (1.7.10 version of the 1.6.4 ICBM mod, as the 1.7.10 ICBM mod is trash)
Enet Bridge (Cant even remember what this does its been a while since I put these together ill have to go look)
Flans Mod (Guns)
Galactic craft (Space)
Galactic Craft planets (More planets)
Industrial Craft 2 (I'm on the line about this, idk if I really want to add it)
Iron Chests
Optifine
Harvest Craft (Different crops and food)
And the parachutemod

I've also thought about Applied Energetics to add ME systems, but this makes things even more complicated. If our team decides that we want the RPG server to play like vanilla, IC2, buildcraft will both be removed. I really do need feedback on this, as this is a MAJOR project for me and my team and I want to bring an awesome finished project to the table before summer break for students!

Note: This RPG server will be available multiple different ways at release, tekkit launcher, our very own custom launcher (Recommended way), ATLauncher, and FTB (If its possible to add to that launcher I haven't got that far yet)
kdude321
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner