How do increase my server speed?

dr_pootis's Avatar dr_pootis10/29/11 8:21 pm
10/29/2011 9:00 pm
Paril's Avatar Paril
I've been having issues recently with the speed of my server.
I know it is my Upload Speed that is the problem, as it is normally at approximately 0.2Mb per. So my question is: what is the most efficient way to increase it?

For some extra info, I'm using a NETGEAR DGN1000 for my Modem, and my ISP is Orange, if I remember correctly.
dr_pootis
Level 28 : Expert Grump

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/29/2011 9:00 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
Dedicated servers should only be a last resort - there should be something you can do about it without resorting to pay for them, but yes, worst case scenario as suggested here is that you'll need to fork for a dedicated server.

Fair enough; you should be able to find me on Skype (the only Canadian Paril with a familiar avatar)
10/29/2011 8:57 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Taco
mattyt2401
Well you can get a dedicated server for $5 per month but it can only handle 3 or so people
10/29/2011 8:57 pm
Paril
I also have Skype and Yahoo, if you prefer them.

-P
10/29/2011 8:59 pm
dr_pootis
Alright, I'd say we use skype, I'm more familiar with its layout.
I'll PM you my username now.

mattyt2401Well you can get a dedicated server for $5 per month but it can only handle 3 or so people

I would get a server rented, but I probably won't be able to gain enough money to keep it going. I'll probably do that if I get a steady amount of donations, that's if the server actually gets anywhere.
10/29/2011 8:56 pm
dr_pootis
ParilSadly yes. I'm glad that our ISP is really lenient with upload speed, including unlimited caps, but I hear it's not as great in Europe from my other friends who live in the UK (assuming that's where you are).

Add me on MSN, I'll see if I can do anything for ya.

-P

Your assumption was correct :3
Even though I've got it in that little info box under my Avatar. I'll see about getting MSN up, I haven't used it in a while.
10/29/2011 8:54 pm
Paril
Sadly yes. I'm glad that our ISP is really lenient with upload speed, including unlimited caps, but I hear it's not as great in Europe from my other friends who live in the UK (assuming that's where you are).

Add me on MSN, I'll see if I can do anything for ya, as issues like this are very specific.

-P
10/29/2011 8:43 pm
Paril
Well, as a local connection you'll always get ~20 ms, so that's fine, but I was just making sure it wasn't your computer doing it.

As another main note for hosting: do not use wifi. Wire yourself in if you're not.

Note that the tab menu in-game is very unreliable; even though my players are getting very low pings and on THEIR end says they have 5 bars, on my end (the host) it says they have 1 bar, which is incredibly strange.

Chances are it is your upload speed, or the way your ISP is handling your bandwidth (some hosts really don't like you hosting servers). It could also just be that your friends have a horrible connection to your ISP, as in some would be fine and some won't, although if they're in your area or even in your country that shouldn't be the issue.

-P
10/29/2011 8:52 pm
dr_pootis
I know it isn't my Computer, as I've built a new Gaming Computer, I also have my Computer hooked up to my modem via Ethernet, as its in my room :3

I wasn't using the Ping bar primarily as judgement of their pings, although I have done that in the past for when I join games of other friends, seeing as how I've always thought they would be accurate.

Also, we're calling up our ISP about increasing our upload speed so we can host the server better, because I already know that ISP's hate people having good Upload speeds, because they think they'll use it to upload pirated media.
10/29/2011 8:34 pm
Paril
Just throwing my programming hat out there: 0.2 mb/s isn't that bad for hosting a small server. I used to be on a .5 and I had no problems running several servers at once (I have Minecraft and Teamspeak up, for instance).

Now when you say speed of your server, are you referring to local lag or latency sending data to other machines (ie, ping)?

-P
10/29/2011 8:38 pm
dr_pootis
I'd probably say Ping, although I'm not entirely certain as I'm not exactly a veteran at programming. I'd say Ping as my connection is fine, however my friends (the only ones who have entered the server so far) have experienced horrible lag. For example: delayed messages, not being able to connect properly, that sort of thing.

I really should have a little root about to get a better understanding of internet programming before I go into making a server, but this is one of the best ways to learn, I guess.
10/29/2011 8:31 pm
Level 46 : Master Droid
AliksZander
New computer, better ISP, or a server hoster (dedicated server).
10/29/2011 8:29 pm
dr_pootis
Oh right. I would go out and buy a dedicated but I'm not going to be using my server as something that is really big, just something I could do to enhance the experience of others.

I also don't have enough money to actually purchase a dedicated server, and I probably won't use it enough for it to be worth what I pay for, unless there's some cheap ones, that is.
10/29/2011 8:25 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Taco
mattyt2401
I don't think there is anything you can do about it
buy a dedicated server
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome