LAN game using external IP & port forwarding -> Connection Timed out.

frenchmassacre's Avatar frenchmassacre2/14/18 2:21 pm
2 emeralds 305 3
2/14/2018 5:32 pm
frenchmassacre's Avatar frenchmassacre
Hi everyone,

Hope you're having a good Valentine's day :D

I started playing Minecraft with my GF a while ago and we created a survival game on my laptop that we played on together over LAN on week-ends. We wanted to play together when apart (both of us at our own homes) on that same world so i got a hold of my external IP, set a port forwarding rule (opened the world to LAN and set a rule for that port, I update it each time i "open to LAN") on my router and sent her the IP:port so that she could join using a direct connect.

**Full disclosure: didn't use my external IP at first but used my DynDNS address since it saved me 5 seconds and i figured it wouldn't change a thing, tried using IP directly afterwards with no difference in results**

Worked like a charm, lagged once or twice but otherwise it worked perfectly for about 3-4 hours. Then all of a sudden it just logged her out. We assumed it was a simple bug and tried reconnecting, to no avail. Each time she appears in the world, on her end it says "loading terrain" on my end she's just standing there.. Then after ~30 seconds her end goes "connection timed out" and on my end she just vanishes and the game says "has left".

Checked the logs it just says: "lost connection: Timed out"

It worked a few hours before so I'm quite confused... both of us have stable decent internet connections (10-20mbps) with low ping (<30ms).

**Full disclosure: hers tends to be less stable than mine so she tried it at university the next day where she gets ~150mbps & <10ms with no difference**

We are both running Minecraft 1.12.2 un-modded on Mac High Sierra (10.13.3) on Mid-2015 MacBook Pro's. (not the best machines for gaming, I'm well aware, but it has no issues running Minecraft at ~50fps average.)

Any ideas on what could be going on?

I'd appreciate any help!

Cheers!
frenchmassacre
Level 1 : New Miner