Looking for tips to launch a server?

huskypupper22's Avatar huskypupper2212/7/17 4:13 pm
1 emeralds 152 7
12/7/2017 11:29 pm
raidarr's Avatar raidarr
Hello i had a burning question for fellow Server Owners On here, When launching a Minecraft server for the first time, What is a good strategy to 1 get players to join your server , and 2 how to keep them on without them leaving after seeing a low population while working on getting a player base to grow?
Any helpful tips people know?
huskypupper22
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/07/2017 8:52 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
ItsFadeIN
constants update, following what your current player base wants for advertising post on as many minecraft server sites as you can and try and get a few youtubers or streamers.
12/07/2017 6:54 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Network
Nightshade73
You could also attempt to get a group of friends to play on the server consistently, or just recruit some noobs that just join as low tier staff and get them on the petty work so they continue to stay online, attracting a small player base.
12/07/2017 5:44 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Posting on PMC is a good way to get players. As "cheaty" as it is, "looking for staff" will inevitably draw eyes.

As for keeping people, it's a matter of planning and presentation in my view, along with a side of luck. Without a solid plan for making the server, and without some thought into what players see and do while joining, you'd throw your chances completely to luck.
12/07/2017 6:39 pm
huskypupper22
I see, in which most cases a player flees, seeing no players online or expect a immediate hello, Which hoping to keep them online for even more players to come on and interact with each other, Mabey also planning a launch event where they can get rewards for joining possibly too
12/07/2017 6:52 pm
raidarr
Having a server concept that allows for singleplayer to be viable for when people aren't on, or just being active yourself, are two 'patch' solutions to the problem. A launch event could work, but then, that's like the "looking for staff" clickbait - it works for a while, and then next week or next month the same problem applies. Having decent connections in the MC community can help with that (I don't have such connections) but beyond that, there's not too much you can do to mitigate that join/quit philosophy. Unless someone else comes in with a good idea on that count.
12/07/2017 11:13 pm
huskypupper22
If anything mabey getting a staff team involved to help with the server could be key to gaining player traffic to a certain extent as well as the team helping with advertising and spreading the word, i know its a major hit and miss
12/07/2017 11:29 pm
raidarr
One of the things I consider to be a key issue with owners is the fact they hire massive staff teams for servers without a population. Don't hire a staff team to manage a server with nobody on it is my policy. At the very least, have the staff be useful content producers, not moderators who moderate a nonexistent playerbase.

Now, someone who can get decent (legitimate, none of that 'advertise on other servers' garbage and breaking, say, PMC post frequency rules) advertising is a useful kind of person to get. That said, it's a small start, and overstaffing a brand new server is a quick road to disappointment. Perhaps you weren't thinking that large, just wanted to throw that out there.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome