My PC now suddenly doesn't meet the requirements to play Minecraft Java?

Weirdfisher's Avatar Weirdfisher6/23/18 11:36 am history
2 emeralds 8.9k 48
6/30/2018 2:16 pm
ItsFadeIN's Avatar ItsFadeIN
So since the new 1.13 snapshots rolling in , I can't play Minecraft properly there is a lot of lag and lag drops from 30 fps to 10 , etc . I can clearly remember my PC running 40-30 FPS and a sudden drop in FPS is very confusing. I asked a guy on the bug tracker page and he told me "your PC does not meet the requirements" I mean it USED to play Minecraft so well before...

Any way to overcome this sudden lag and sudden FPS drops? I can't play Minecraft properly since a long time. Any thing that helps is appreciated.
Thank you all in advance.

Oh and here are my PC Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @3.10GHz 3.10 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.85 GB usable)

System type: 64 bit Operating system , x64 based processor

PC name : Dell Vostro 460

Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 2000

(Graphics)Allocated memory:1760 mb (1.76 GB)

Its not a pretty highend PC , Its from 2011 but its a shock that it "doesn't meet the requirements" to play a basic game like Minecraft. The developers should make adjustments to make the game to be able to run on older PCs.
Again I would appreciate any help or any tips to overcome my problem.

EDIT: I can confirm that I can run Minecraft 1.12.2 with 40-50 fps no optifine.

I was wondering that would deleting all the worlds make a significant change? I sure do have a lot of worlds even ones which I don't play on.

Weirdfisher
Level 39 : Artisan Fisherman

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/30/2018 2:16 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
ItsFadeIN
Probably just a bug within the new version
06/26/2018 10:15 amhistory
Level 32 : Artisan Nerd
ParkerTheDev
Hey!

Looking at your specs, you should be able to play Minecraft. I have very similar specs and I get 250 FPS (with OptiFine). Just because you have an older PC doesn't mean that Minecraft cannot run on your system. My laptop is a 2011/2012 MacBook Pro and it runs Minecraft perfectly fine, so in theory this shouldn't be the issue. With that being said, I've listed a few things that could help, if it doesn't work, reply!
- Download OptiFine. This will really improve your FPS, plus any existing issues.
- Uninstall Minecraft. If you uninstall the game and then re-install it, this could fix some of the issues.
- Restart your computer. Sometimes a quick restart fixes some of your issues.
If none of that works, please feel free to PM me or reply to this comment. I'd love to help!
06/27/2018 2:00 am
Weirdfisher
@PakerTheDev , yes that's what I was thinking that my PC isn't very ancient (Trust me I had a much worse one and the only game I could play was Simcity 3000 and TheSims 1 ) and should be able to play Minecraft fine but turns out it can't with the newest 1.13 snapshot. I mean I'm not a tech geek but 1.76 GB shouldn't it be enough ( mind me , you can correct me if I am wrong) to play Minecraft? Or as everyone says that Intel HD Graphics 2000 is pretty much dead and has no support or the requirements to play Modern Minecraft.
06/27/2018 9:20 am
ParkerTheDev
Like other's have stated, I suggest a new graphics card if needed. I suggest a GTX 1050, as they are around 100-150 bucks. :)
06/26/2018 4:58 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Cake
carbonawk
"Just because you have an older PC doesn't mean that Minecraft cannot run on your system. My laptop is a 2011/2012 MacBook Pro and it runs Minecraft perfectly fine."

That is all great and all, but simply because your machine works does not mean his should work.

"so in theory, this shouldn't be the issue"

"in theory" your reasoning has nothing to do with anything technical. The problem has already been pinpointed, and it was not due to age. But due to lack of features. Which are needed to support the newest version of Minecraft.

Please read the posts below for a better understanding of why this does not work.
06/26/2018 5:50 pm
ParkerTheDev
Sorry, I'm just trying to help. Please consider that though I didn't read all of the posts below, I'm just trying to be a helpful member here on PMC. I'm allowed to make suggestions and provide possible reasons (regardless of how crazy they are) as to why he is experiencing this.
06/26/2018 6:11 pm
carbonawk
Of course, you are allowed, I can't stop that. It's great you are trying to help! But, misinformation can be more damaging than helpful.
06/25/2018 12:18 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
_Ferroza
WINDOWS 8.1 Pro I got Windows 10
06/26/2018 1:55 am
Weirdfisher
So? I mean its cool. It's still supported in form of security patches till 2023 so I guess I'm safe for while?
06/25/2018 10:23 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Pig
Feniksy
dont play the snapshots, but wait for the real update!
06/25/2018 10:45 am
Weirdfisher
Yeah thats what I'm doing at the moment. I'm using 1.12.2 for playing.
06/25/2018 9:20 am
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
06/25/2018 10:20 am
Weirdfisher
Is that an insult? Because it sounded like one.
06/24/2018 8:41 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Llama
Master_Bw3
well firdst of all get yourself optifine, it helps a lot

(not out for 1.13 snapshots tho)

the 1.13 snapshots are supposed to have less lag once they are released
06/23/2018 10:55 pmhistory
Level 1 : New Network
Sedatte
Hello!

I saw your thread, and I have figured out the problem. You currently do not have a GPU in your system which will not load Minecraft. All your other specs are very good. Just buy a graphics card, it's one of the most important items in your PC. If you are on a budget, I'd recommend buying a GTX 750. If you have the money, you can buy a GTX 1050 or higher. I have an MSI GTX 1060 for my GPU. If you do not know which graphics card to buy, just look it up on YouTube and you'll learn everything there. Also, I'd recommend buying a graphics card on amazon because they have the best deals. Thank you.

Also, I have a tip if you want to get more frames while you are waiting for your graphics card if you buy one. Download the Badlion Client or Cheatbreaker ( 1.7.10 only for CB ) These both will increase your fps by an average of 30 - 50.

One more tip, I'd recommend switching to windows 10. It's must faster and easier.
06/29/2018 3:10 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Explorer
allmine444
I'm playing 1.12 and it crashes regularly and I have a suspicion that Windows 10 has something to do with it. Swear it used to be super reliable.
06/24/2018 1:38 pm
carbonawk
You are wrong, he DOES have a GPU, he does not have a graphics card, and NO they are not the same thing. Why do you recommend these things?

Also, those are launchers with features that you, for the most part, can use with the original client. There is 0 reason to switch. Nor does either client seem to support what this user wants to play, taking away from the original problem. Both clients also send information, and it is NOT clear what.

Also, why recommend things based on information you don't have? a GTX1060? does his power supply even support it? it requires a 6 pin.
06/24/2018 7:50 am
Weirdfisher
Thanks!
06/24/2018 12:57 amhistory
Level 14 : Journeyman Network
Geekles
A dedicated graphics card is not at all necessary to be able to run
games such as Minecraft since Intel already contains an integrated
graphics core within the processor itself. I ran minecraft years ago
without a GPU, and simply used the integrated graphics card that Intel
provided. A dedicated graphics processing unit is used to be able to
achieve higher frame rates since you dedicate the visual processing
portion of applications to a completely dedicated graphics processing
unit, instead of having all the load on the processor itself.

Here's the inside of one of the Intel processors.

@Weirdfisher
In the end here's a few things you can do which @ItzzAlexx did mention.
Updating your PC or really any application/operating system is always
highly recommended due to security updates and performance improvements.
Also resetting your computer to factory settings helps a ton to get a
fresh start. Often unnecessary files and processes add up in the
background overtime. Cleaning your PC entirely can provide a noticeable
difference. There are also options to disable some windows features such
as some of the animations to give your computer a little bit of a
boost. Also go through and make sure you uninstall any software you do
not need. But if you have the money, perhaps it's time you simply
upgrade your PC.
If you have the money, I would highly recommend getting the https://www.amazon.com/Dell-15-6-Inch-Quad-Core-i5-6300HQ-Processor/dp/B015PYYDMQ.
It's the computer I currently use and I've had it for over a year now. I
take it everywhere I go and haven't gotten a scratch, nor has it needed
a single repair. The retina 4k display is absolutely astonishing. The
Nivida GeForce 960m card may not be the absolute best, however it's
definitely a very good gpu for a laptop, and I can easily achieve
anywhere between 150-350 fps on minecraft with 12 chunk render distance,
and everything else maxed out, however I usually cap the fps to a
constant value of 150. Great value, portable, fairly light weight,
beautiful, powerful gaming machine. Note I did get a more expensive
version with the intel i7 4k resolution etc. when it was on sale,
however the i5 etc. should fit your needs, since getting a processor
such as an i7 and 4k resolution is really only necessary if you have
additional needs such as developing/visual graphics. For gaming the GPU
is really your main concern.
06/24/2018 1:51 pmhistory
carbonawk
Again you make the same mistake as the user above. Integrated graphics chips are A GPU. A graphics card is NOT a GPU. NOR is it a dedicated GPU per se.

"A dedicated graphics processing unit is used to be able to achieve higher frame rates. Since you dedicate the visual processing portion of applications to a completely dedicated graphics processing
unit, instead of having all the load on the processor itself. "

Back it up, you ONLY use a part of CPU, not the whole CPU. Having all the load on this part or not does not matter. It's designed to do it. In fact, I hope it takes full advantage of it.

How did you jump from the earlier in this post mentioned $60 graphics card to $300 graphics cards to a laptop of $800?

This is not a user who spend a lot so far, this would be a rather large cash sink for such a small thing.

Can we please get down to earth and be a bit realistic and get the facts right before going technical?
06/26/2018 12:14 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
I must have confused shit while writing at some point.
06/26/2018 12:59 pm
carbonawk
Well, it can be freaking confusing. I rather keep it simple. Smash the computer and it should work. XD
06/24/2018 8:23 pm
Geekles
I would double check the information regarding your knowledge on what is and isn't a GPU.
"A graphics card is NOT a GPU. NOR is it a dedicated GPU per se."

Also I don't recall saying that integrated graphic chips are a GPU, however if you read it like so, let me clarify that a dedicated GPU designed purely for managing visual rendering etc. is a lot better than one existing in a processor, where the processor's entire sole purpose is to make calculations quickly necessary for the processes/algorithms etc. existing in applications instead of focusing on providing high frame rates in games.
(See image of the Intel processor above where it is pointed out that it does have a GPU)
Also I don't recall recommending a graphics card? I did recommend a 960m which is part of the laptop, however never recommended it separately. I'm well aware of his budget, therefore that's why I ask that he saves up for an upgrade.
06/24/2018 5:34 am
Ivain
Sure, you don't NEED a dedicated graphics card to play minecraft, but you do need a graphics 'card' of sufficient strength. Which OP does not have. Minimum requirements for running Minecraft is an Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics card. I ran it for ages on Intel HD 4400, which allowed me about 30 fps on low settings, and 40 fps with Optifine.
OP's problem was that his timing was JUST off. The processor he got is from the Sandy Bridge generation, the processor+integrated graphics he needs to run this would be from the Ivy Bridge generation, one generation after that.
06/24/2018 1:59 pm
carbonawk
It's about the features, not the "strength" of a card. Whatever that may mean. I would think you refer to fps in the game?

For example, a GTX 280 which requires "supplementary power connectors 6-pin & 8-pin" Would be more powerful as a 730, yet wouldn't be able to run Minecraft, while the 730 can.
06/24/2018 7:49 am
Weirdfisher
Ah.I see. I could've waited.
06/24/2018 9:11 amhistory
Geekles
I may have not have clearly stated it, but like Ivain cleared out, it is
still highly recommended that you get a GPU if you plan on playing
games such as Minecraft and expect an improved consistent FPS, however
the statement is false where it is claimed that you absolutely need a
GPU or else Miecraft will not run. I understand that your budget is very
low, so I would rather just do the most that you can with what you have
now. Clean it up, remove as many unnecessary apps etc. and if you have
an HDD you should look into defragmenting your hard drives. You can
easily do this by simply searching in the Windows menu, "Defragment and
optimize drives". Select your hard drive and select optimize. It'll go
through a lengthy process of analyzing the hardrive and then defraging
it,
which may help speed the hard drive up. Personally I think you should
focus on optimizing what you have right now, and wait until you have the
money to actually purchase a more up to date machine. Your computer is
from 2011, and in my book that is too old for a computer, and it's about
time you start upgrading before you begin experiencing a number of
issues with components (I would already assume that you have noticed a
few issues). Save up as much money as you can so that you may get a
computer that will actually provide consistent performance instead of
purchasing one part after another for an old outdated computer, which in
the end you'll eventually be forced to purchase a new computer after
certain components completely fail and repairs would be too expensive.
06/23/2018 11:22 pm
Weirdfisher
thanks, I'll see but for now I have a really low budget and can only afford a NVidia GT 730 2Gb DDR3
06/23/2018 8:49 pm
carbonawk
get a 30$ graphics card and solve this simply issue lol
06/23/2018 9:46 pm
Weirdfisher
I guess eventually? When nothing can be done.
06/23/2018 10:28 pm
carbonawk
it's 7 years old, and even back then it was mediocre, at best. Expecting it to run the newest software or let it be games, is pretty silly. If you had a graphics card back then you would still be able to run this game in it's the latest update, that's quite generous as is tbh.

Something can be done.
Want to play the newest software? use the newest or rather different hardware. It really is that simple.
But you have to do it, we can't do it for you.
06/23/2018 11:16 pm
Weirdfisher
I know running New regularly updated games on a low end old 7 year old PC is a joke so I guess I'll buy a 60 dollar NVidia GT 730 2Gb DDR3 I mean 2 GB must be more that enough to run games like Minecraft am I right?
06/24/2018 1:00 pmhistory
carbonawk
Yep, that would put you in the recommended hardware area.

https://help.mojang.com/customer/en/portal/articles/325948-minecraft-java-edition-system-requirements

You need OpenGL 4.5 for that, which is available for the 730.
https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl-driver

btw it's not about how much memory it has, it's about the features. Like I describe above.

ps a heads up, some others walls of text are incorrect. They don't use the terms properly and wrong abbreviations. Please be careful with who you trust here. It may all look fancy, but they are wrong for a lot of it. I can go in detail if you really want to know.

If anything, you can check the 2 links I posted as those are from both sources you would be using if you bought the graphics card.
06/23/2018 6:57 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc2558251
[deleted]
06/23/2018 9:47 pmhistory
Weirdfisher
True , but its happening since the 1.13 snapshots started rolling out.
06/23/2018 9:57 pmhistory
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
thunderbolt73
I assume you guys mean 1.13?
1.3 came out YEAARS ago and is definitely not getting optifine
06/23/2018 6:28 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Procrastinator
Thymph
The other comments say the problem but a solution you can try is using a modded client with optifine and then setting those settings to lowest. That can gaurentee you running at atleast 10-20 better.
06/23/2018 9:51 pmhistory
Weirdfisher
Yeah thanks I'm gonna wait for a 1.13 Optifine.
06/23/2018 6:27 pm
thunderbolt73
I'm no expert on computer specs, but I can say that I use a GT 730 and run it perfectly fine at 100+fps. It is pretty cheap if you are needing one. Fair warning though, I have windows 10, optifine, & 8gb of ram so take it with a grain of salt. Your processor is miles better than mine though, I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 3ghz.
06/23/2018 9:51 pm
Weirdfisher
I would consider buying a Graphic card when there is nothing to be done. I don't play very highend games to need a graphic card.
06/23/2018 10:08 pm
Weirdfisher
But which GT 730 is it? The 2GB or the 1GB one?
06/25/2018 12:14 pm
carbonawk
There are differences besides the memory. But overall, I would say the 2GB by far.
You can view the other differences here www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-730/specifications
06/24/2018 10:41 pm
thunderbolt73
I have the 2GB version, though like Ivain said either should probably be fine.
06/24/2018 5:39 am
Ivain
I think either will be fine just for Minecraft. All you need is power equivalent to an intel HD 4000-series integrated graphics card. You could even make do with a 710, but the 730 is better value for money.
06/23/2018 5:27 pm
Ivain
It's not at all shocking. What's surprising and shocking is that you were even able to play past versions of MC with an Intel HD 2000 graphics card. I have an Intel HD 4400 in my laptop and I barely get 40 fps with optifine and everything.

There's this thing called Moore's law. It's an observation of reality. It means that roughly every 2 years, the overall processing power of computers doubles. Assuming 6 years since you bought your PC instead of 7, that would mean current PC's of a similar budget as you originally paid for your PC are about 8 times stronger.

It's completely unreasonable to expect devs of ANY modern game to run backwards compatibility that far back, especially if it's in constant development. If they did, they would basically be unable to add anything new to the game or improve existing systems.
The biggest problem is your lack of a dedicated graphics card. Your CPU is significantly stronger than the minimum requirement of the Java edition, Java edition is theoretically playable on 256mb of free RAM though most people recommend 1024mb (1Gb) since 1.8. Mojang has 2GB listed because that's the amount you should have as part of your PC in total. You have twice that,

However, your integrated graphics isn't nearly good enough.

It requires an Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics, at the least, which is from the Ivy Bridge generation, a chipset generation after the one your CPU is from. It's from 2012, which is a perfectly reasonable amount of backwards compatibility (6 years back, aka 3 iterations of Moore's law)

If you'd gotten any dedicated graphics card compatible with it back then, you would be fine now, but hindsight is 20-20.

Now let's look at what you can do right now.
1. Downgrade minecraft. Continue playing 1.12 or earlier, whatever worked.
2. See if Optifine makes it possible to play Minecraft 1.13, when the first optifine version for 1.13 comes out

3. Start saving for a better PC. At this point I'd recommend against trying to upgrade it because an i5 2400 is gonna be completely obsolete soon anyway.
Idk how much you paid for your current PC, but with a guide like this: https://www.wepc.com/builds/best-gaming-pc-under-500/

You can build a PC for about $500, which is what you'd pay for a premade basic workstation.
06/23/2018 9:43 pm
Weirdfisher
Thanks man , I'm thinking to wait for Optifine.
06/23/2018 1:19 pmhistory
Level 12 : Journeyman Explorer
SnickerToodles
It's not that your computer isn't powerful or high end enough. Your processor is fine and your RAM is, well, fine for Minecraft.

The problem is that you literally do not have a graphics card -- you have Intel integrated graphics, which basically means that your computer has the capability of starting up and displaying your screen, and not much more than that. I'm really surprised that Minecraft ran at anything resembling playable before this, though I have no idea why it suddenly stopped working.

That graphics card is very old, slow, and has been discontinued. There's really no amount of optimization a game developer could do to make a game run on those graphics, and expecting them to is unreasonable. So buy a real graphics card.

Or don't expect to be able to play any games more intensive than Hearthstone, because that's seriously all I was able to get working at higher than 10 FPS on those graphics while I was waiting for my card to ship.
06/23/2018 9:44 pm
Weirdfisher
Thanks but I am able to play older 2011 games in a decent frame rate and are quite playable. But not modern games lol.
06/24/2018 5:32 am
Ivain
yeah, that's sort of the problem. Minecraft may have originally started in 2011, but it's been under constant development since.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome