People keep griefing my server?

Imaginary_vayne's Avatar Imaginary_vayne4/1/17 3:40 am
1 emeralds 231 5
5/9/2017 11:59 am
uSneakyyMurican's Avatar uSneakyyMurican
Hello, so I'm an admin on a server called DemonicPvp, not that popular, it's 1.8.9 and it's bungeecord. We've got grieved quite a few times but after the first one we installed a backup. We did find how they grieved us in the first place, meaning the bungeecord glitch where you would log as the owner without needing to type a password but we fixed the glitch which made us feel kinda safe. To our surprise, 2 days later we got grieved again. We changed the /op command to only be executed by console, but one guy somehow managed to op himself. Is there any kind of exploit with authme or anything like that? I don't get how they got OP'd since you can only do that by the console. The owner even checked his email just in case it got hacked but still, nothing. The server hoster is themincrafthosting, if that helps in any way. Any kind of response and help is appreciated, thanks a lot!

*EDIT* You can come to the server and see yourself if you want, the IP is
play.demonicpvp.us.to

Thanks again.
Imaginary_vayne
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/30/2017 1:42 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Architect
kaizenworlds
Lol, is this a sneaky way to advertise? There are several plugins that will protect your server, lets you roll back grief, find out who did it etc. My favourite is coreprotect.
05/09/2017 11:59 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Architect
uSneakyyMurican
If you want to be effective, I'd check the person who is griefing you. If you have no clue, install coreprotect to find out. If you know who, check their permissions. If they have a * or anything in their permissions that contains a *, I'd do your research on it and remove it from the player. It could also be an inconsistency with your permissions system as well. Perhaps you set the inheritance up wrong.

If you want to be sure they got opped, I'd go to your server's files and look in the ops.json in the main server folder. If there's any unrecognized players, remove them. In fact, as a precaution, remove them all. Delete the file. Reboot the server, and it'll generate a new blank one.

If you keep having problems, you can add me on Skype @ Unrealistic.Being
04/03/2017 7:10 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Engineer
Thatsmusic99
It may not have been that this user in question got OPed, but they may have had the wildcard permission (*, unless you're certain they got OPed). As Limey said, I'd recommend a plugin like CoreProtect or LogBlock.

Sadly, a friend of mine DID make a plugin to prevent people from receiving this permission (works on Bungee too), but sadly, he hasn't published it...

But at the last resort when you can't bear it anymore, I'd recommend MCBans. It's a tight plugin with lots of rules on how to use it, but:

1. It'll stop alts of griefers from joining.
2. It'll stop hackers and griefers from joining.
3. Much more I can't name, however here's the wiki link: https://forums.mcbans.com/wiki/index/

I feel you though, I've dealt with serious griefers before as well, only issue was I was around 10 at the time... I wasn't a pro staff member either.
04/03/2017 6:21 am
Level 30 : Artisan Toast
Limey_Limes
I highly recommend adding the plugin CoreProtect if you don't have it already, it will keep a record of everything that happens on your server (such as who executes which commands, who destroys a block/places a block, etc).

Once you've added CoreProtect, if this same situation happens again you will be able to tell who the culprit is and you'll also be able to rollback any physical map changes to the server. You'll be able to ban the culprit and your server will be back to the way it was like nothing happened. Hope this helps, even if only a bit.
04/01/2017 5:03 am
Level 1 : New Network
Oakie
Do you think that since this has happened multiple times there could be someone in your staff team that is secretly opping trolls? (unless only the owner has access to console) I have not seen a hacked client or so that could give a player console, so it might be a exploit.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome