forum Forumsplay_arrow Minecraft fiber_manual_record Help

Technical Question/ Old Laptop able to run modern Minecraft Java Edition?

3 emeralds6 replies80 views
created 05/13/2019 3:12 am by infamousmusicify
last reply 05/14/2019 3:40 pm
Found an old laptop in my garage in mint condition, want to gift it to a friend so we can play some MC.
As far as I can discern from info around the net this computer might be able to run modern Minecraft,
but I'm looking for anothers perspective on it.

Laptop:

Compaq Presario CQ50-215NR Notebook PC

Computer Hardware:

(tips on optimum Graphics settings and whatnot for a low-end PC appreciated.)
(also curious to know if one installs windows 7 on this laptop would there be a performance hit or buff?)

Any Input would be appreciated, Especially on the Minecraft Front.

Posted by avatar
infamousmusicify
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter

comment Login or register to post a reply.

6 replies

05/14/2019 3:40 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Warrior814
You can play with but use low graphic settings and a light-weight OS + notebook cooler.
+ Don't toggle full screen
05/14/2019 2:54 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Resplend
i've ran mc on a laptop from 2009, i'm sure it will work, mc isn't a demanding game
05/13/2019 12:44 pm
Level 21 : Expert Princess
star_weaver
i would recomend using linux over windows when it comes to old stuff with not much ram
05/13/2019 2:13 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Dragonborn
Nocturn_Adrift
>1.90 GHz processor BUT has graphics card (Nvidia)
>2 gigs of ram

Okay, so here is my honest recommendation to you so that you have a chance at decent performance:

1. Install a lightweight Linux distribution rather than Windows 7 (I would look into Linux Mint MATE Edition because it imitates Windows and is easy to use [I would give my grandmother a laptop with this installed]).

Why: Windows is extremely bloated (yes, even 7). I have been running a collection of old laptops (my main rig for school is an old Gateway laptop that originally ran Windows Vista). Running Linux necessary in this regard because it guarantees that this laptop will be supported with the latest drivers and software. If you're not running Linux on this laptop, you're going to essentially shoot yourself in the foot.

2. Put 2 Gigabytes of RAM in this laptop. If you can get some used RAM sticks (really cheap) then Minecraft has the RAM it needs to run optimally. For Minecraft to do this, it needs 3 GB of RAM, but one thing people forget about is that your Operating System (a la Linux or Windows) needs a certain of RAM to actually run. For the vast majority of Linux distributions, 1GB of RAM should get the job done splendidly.

I know you probably have questions (especially with the Linux thing), if you want some help, just shoot me a DM and I'll help you out.
05/13/2019 8:30 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Crafter
TymeToMine
The minimum RAM requirement for java is 2GB (good so far). If the laptop is able to run java, then you are good to go!
05/13/2019 7:18 am
Level 46 : Master Wizard
eyhoffi
im sure minecraft will work, but on limited view range. and i guess you will need Optifin !!!!. i played often on slow laptops. windows 7 will work and i recommed it instead of Vista.
oh and ingame you need to turn everything off, particles , clouds, weather, etc.. go get more fps

aaand use a small resolution, maybe 1024x768 or smaller :D

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome