Totally new dad trying to understand Minecraft (asking for newbie guidelines)

Angemell's Avatar Angemell8/14/18 6:55 pm history
8/19/2018 5:17 am
jjaaxxthelegend's Avatar jjaaxxthelegend
Greetings:

For my lucky sake, I've been able to find your community; for what I've read and feel, the attitude and wish for help it amazing, so I hope to not bother you in excess n.n

As the title says, I'm a new dad with the wish to try to play with my kid; for such, I need to understand better new generation gaming (although Minecraft is an old skool-like game, but you get the point :) ). So, for what I've searched at Google, I just can't assemble the info in a coherent way; stuff like:

+ Does all the Minecraft community is always referring around Mojang's (official)?
+ What it Bedrock?
+ Is Mincecraft Java and other Java-likes distributions (like Titan Minecraft), a identical clone of the official?
+ Are Minecraft Mods for the official and / or the java distributions equally possible to install in any distribution, or are they specific?

I guess I should finish now, as I don't want to be a pain now that I've just arrived to the community.
My best wishes; hope to hear from you anytime possible.

Regards,

Javier

p.s. I hope that a Forum Moderator could help me in erasing a duplicate I did with my post: sorry about it n.n
Angemell
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/19/2018 5:17 am
Level 38 : Artisan Architect
jjaaxxthelegend
Hey Angemell

Welcome- Yep its a great community

You have lots of great answers already but thought id add a couple.

When you refer to Bedrock I think you might mean Bedrock edition? Bedrock edition is the version for win10. Its slightly different in a few mechanics to java ( which is the original PC edition). I had to change a few of the instructions for some of my build vids to cater for bedrock edition.

Minecraft java is the original edition release by notch all those years ago, it was recoded to allow it to port across to other platforms like xbox etc.

Some mods are specific- others are not. There are thousands of them and they can be stable or not so stable. Id get your head around vanilla (plain java) first and then move to mods Agree with Tra_kad in Tekkit being a great starting place for mods, most of them are safe

If you would like to learn the basics Im more than happy to have a game with you and get you started if that helps- let me know
08/19/2018 2:43 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
Partridge420xx
mojang is owned by microsoft now, not everyone is happy with the decision

Bedrock is an indestructible block found at 1-5 Y- coords

Titan minecraft from what i just searched, is a pirated version of minecraft (Basically bypasses authentication servers, and allows you to connect to cracked servers only (illegal i believe)

Mods can be installed on any version, there are launchers with the specific task of loading modpacks to be able to play (technic launcher) *you need a premium minecraft account to use*
08/19/2018 2:34 am
LyamsGG
My advice is find someone to play survival with 1x1 and make a bit of time every now and then to do a voice chat and just simply play, it's the best and fastest way to learn
08/16/2018 12:19 pm
arvidgreat
Bedrock is the ground of the world a block you can't break.
08/15/2018 1:12 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Hunter
mountainjk
With Mods, Its better to research it a bit before downloading, I always do when downloading a mod, texture pack etc. A lot of good mods will be safe becuase they wouldnt have any good ratings if it was a virus, But its best to research it anyway before downloading.
Good luck !
- Mountain
08/15/2018 1:04 pmhistory
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
forum mod made ur duplicate thread go squish :)
08/14/2018 8:56 pmhistory
Level 42 : Master Zombie
EmpathyHeals
Welcome!! Let me take a stab at this but first, to congratulate you on being an awesome dad and wanting to play with your kid. Minecraft is an awesome game for kids and adults alike - I am an adult who runs a server and I have adults who play on my server as well as kids (and parents with their children). The reason this is such a great game for adults is because there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. Kids love what meets the eye, but beyond the mining and building there is redstone and mechanics and farming, etc. that make the game intriguing and complex and challenging for the smartest of the smart.

Next for your questions:
+ Does all the Minecraft community is always referring around Mojang's (official)?
Not everyone's copy of Minecraft is official but if it's not they may not be able to play on some servers, like mine, who do not allow cracked clients.

+ What it Bedrock?
An ore that makes up the last layer of the world before you fall into the void. It is not a layer players can mine so they can dig down to bedrock but that's as far down as they can go. Admins can break bedrock blocks and players can access them in creative mode, but in survival worlds bedrock is only at the very bottom and players can't dig it up. There is also skytop which you can't build above, but it doesn't have a block representing it. You just can't build any higher than a certain height.

+ Is Mincecraft Java and other Java-likes distributions (like Titan Minecraft), a identical clone of the official?
Minecraft renditions aren't identical - think of other games for the PC then their mobile/pocket edition. For example there is a lot of content for the Sims games on the PC but it's not the same exact game on the mobile edition. It looks a lot like the regular game, but there are significant differences. With java edition you can have plugins that people code and integrate with the game, while on realms or other versions there isn't that much of a modded community and aren't as many modded options. This can make the game simpler and easier in some ways however the downside is that un-modded versions or vanilla java play aren't as customizable or protected, meaning that you can do less things (are bound by the release content) and others can also more easily grief your work (destroy, steal, etc.). For java clients there are plugins like grief prevention and core protect that allow players to protect their areas, /trust only those they know and want to build with, and other security plugins like /core protect also allow admins to see who placed blocks, who removed blocks, so that it's easier to identify griefers or grief attempts or just elucidate on who did what where.

+ Are Minecraft Mods for the official and / or the java distributions equally possible to install in any distribution, or are they specific?
I answered some of this above but I will add that not only are plugins primarily for the java PC version but version-specific too, and different renditions of Minecraft only work on certain platforms. Plugins for the java PC edition are programmed by people in the gaming community not by a company or official employees. So what happens is that if you want to play on a server you have to put your client at that server's version of Minecraft. When a new version comes out, depending on the amount of plugins a server has, they have to wait until developers of plugins update their plugins and sometimes they don't so server owners must decide if they can upgrade without those plugins, or whether they should replace those plugins with others, etc. It can take a long time for servers to get in sync with the latest version of Minecraft depending on the amount of plugins they have and how fast they get updated.

Finally, not to plug my server but I happen to be an example of those that do this so I will say that Minecraft has a great capacity for facilitating education and/or promoting causes you are passionate about. It's not just about building; because you can use commands to make items in command blocks or use command blocks to do a bunch of different stuff, and because you can have plugins (like for quests) that make the game highly customizable, you can introduce a lot of your own content, lore, niche, etc. So on my server, for example, I have EMA, Empathy Minecraft Academy. I am passionate about promoting education in gaming and Minecraft is the ideal platform. Check out the PMC project which shows not only a lot of our educational content but content people (and other server owners) can download as well: https://www.planetminecraft.com/project/empathy-minecraft-academy/

On servers you can also support players' play styles more as plugins give options; for example, I encourage players to teach their own classes at EMA. It allows them to make the commands and create the items they want and I spawn them in game. I give them a classroom and put the items in item frames around the classroom and an NPC at the front of the class. I load up these items on the NPC and people can "farm" the NPC'S and collect/earn the items. But the school is just such a small part of what a server can be and what our own server does, but it's to show you an example of the high customization of the PC java edition and of the way Minecraft can go way beyond kid's play :).

I hope to see you around PMC!
Welcome!
Emp
08/14/2018 7:41 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Ranger
Tra_kad
Hiya, and welcome to the crazy blocky community of Minecraft! I'll go point to point-
1. Typically, yes, we are typically referring to the Mojang Official PC release.
2. Bedrock MC refers to the Microsoft/Mojang version that is built for PlayStation, Xbox, Ipod, and I guess other consoles- this one has some gameplay changes and is more easily modded so far as I can tell, but it tries to micro-transact you into buying skins and maps in my opinion- which I think is terrible, and you're better off sticking to Minecraft Java Edition- which is what we on PC typically use.
3. I won't lie, I had no idea what Minecraft Titan was until I googled it like 2 seconds ago, and frankly I'm still not sure what it is. It looks like a clone, and a pirate one at that to me- you're better off sticking to Minecraft.net's official download, which you should pay for an account if you haven't already. That or use the Bedrock edition, I guess.
4. Minecraft mods are not my forte, but if you're genuinely interested I'd say a good starting place is to look up the Technic or Tekkit launchers- If you have an official Minecraft account, it should link right up to your account and enable you to launch mod-packed versions of MC.
08/14/2018 7:44 pm
Tra_kad
https://minecraft.net/en-us/ is where you want to go for your official MC account, by-the-by.
08/14/2018 7:41 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Artist
lovestrxck_
To answer your question about bedrock, it is essentially a indestructible block that you find once you hit the bottom level of mining, etc etc. You can only obtain it if you are in /gamemode 1 otherwise known as creative mode. You can't get it in survival otherwise :P If you need anymore information about Minecraft, just reply to me and I'll try and get on it asap. <3
08/14/2018 7:46 pm
Tra_kad
I think he was referring to Minecraft Bedrock Edition, not the block- but it is a good thing to point out nontheless.
08/14/2018 7:43 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Artist
lovestrxck_
Also, welcome to the Minecraft community! ;D
08/14/2018 7:04 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Princess
PufferJackets
Mods are safe if you download them from the right website, don't download minecraft itself from any website other than the official minecraft,net site cause that's illegal if you don't own a copy and sometimes pretty unsafe. And I'm not really sure I understand the rest, either way I hope I helped, if you have anything else you want to ask reply to my comment and I'll answer my best!
08/14/2018 7:29 pm
Angemell
Hello, hello!

Ok; so I guess that we should go directly from the official. Thanks a lot for the help :)
08/14/2018 7:42 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Princess
PufferJackets
No problem!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome