Ways to attract players?

Leeberator's Avatar Leeberator12/13/15 6:13 pm
12/30/2015 6:18 pm
Leeberator's Avatar Leeberator
I've been running my server for over 3 years now (opened November 10th, 2012), but I've struggled with maintaining a good player base. I've posted the server on various server lists, promoted it on multiple social media outlets, talked about it on things like the PMC chat, and even offered incentives for people to beta test new features - none of which have helped create a player base.

My server is a network that offers uncommonly-used gametypes, including:
  • Extra Hard Survival (based around the Extra Hard Mode plugin)
  • Free-Roam Creative (no plots - just an open world to claim land and build in)
  • Clans (kind of like Factions, but with with a twist - you can't protect land, so you either need to hide your base in the custom-generated environment, or create a nearly-impenetrable base)

(Main submission post is here, and the website is here)

All of the servers feature custom-generated worlds, and the network-wide donation ranks are neither overpowered nor not worth paying for. Everyone who has actually played on the server (as in those who do more than join, criticize it, and leave) have said they love it, but since there aren't many other players, they leave.

I've considered paying for a custom server banner, but the person I talked to wanted to charge double for a few minor modifications to one of his standard designs (which was around $10 to begin with). Other than that and an account giveaway, what are some ways I can attract players?
Leeberator
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/30/2015 5:49 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Tcg1921
IF you are experienced in editing and crap, just make a server trailor
post it on youtube, make a flashy thumbnail and post it!
12/30/2015 6:18 pm
Leeberator
Thanks for reminding me! I've been meaning to make a trailer, but for a while I didn't have the time and I forgot about it.
12/28/2015 11:28 pm
Leeberator
Bump
12/27/2015 5:19 pm
Leeberator
Bump
12/26/2015 12:36 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
dewdewwww
I'd stick with the donation ranks and use the money on featuring the server somewhere. Also, encouraging players to make videos about the server may increase your playerbase. The more videos, the more recognised your server will become.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it's best to stay on the server or else it's likely players are going to leave straight after. :/
12/26/2015 1:32 pm
Leeberator
Yeah, I have a cousin with over 500 subscribers who records for the server sometimes. 500 isn't a lot, but it's a start.

And yeah, I try to be on when I can, but with school during the semester and my internship over breaks it's not easy for me to be on all that often. That's why I have staff though, lol.
12/26/2015 12:22 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
dewdewwww
You could make an attractive banner on Minecraft server lists, or have catchy titles. I wouldn't recommend having the tag "Need Staff" because most likely you'll lose all of your players again.

To maintain your playerbase you could add some kind of ranking system. AutoRank would be one example, players have to play a certain amount of time and/or complete several tasks before they fully rankup.
12/26/2015 12:28 pm
Leeberator
I'm working on finding a place to get a good banner without having to sell a kidney, but I haven't found one I liked.

I thought about a ranking system, but I feel that it might detract from the donation ranks. I basically have zero operating costs, but I'd rather not pay out of pocket should the server need an upgrade. What do you suggest I include in the playtime-based ranks versus the donation ranks?
12/21/2015 5:25 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Engineer
polarluke2
Nothing really. All you can do is to have helpful and good staff and hope you get a nice and friendly playerbase
12/24/2015 2:49 pm
Leeberator
The issue I'm having is a lack of a playerbase. You can't have a playerbase without regular players, and you'll have a hard time getting regular players without a playerbase.
12/21/2015 5:23 pm
Leeberator
Bump
12/16/2015 1:52 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Explorer
Xeroxity
Well explain the uniqueness of the server to me.
12/14/2015 8:26 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Explorer
Xeroxity
That;s not really unique. There are a million (exaggeration) other servers out there. Why join yours? Most of the players that play Minecraft don't like 'Extra Hard Survival'. They really like easy gamemodes. Hope this helps you
12/15/2015 1:01 am
Leeberator
So, you claim the gamemodes aren't unique, ask what I do differently than other servers, and then suggest I switch to commonly-used gametypes to attract players?

That seems awfully contradictory.
12/14/2015 6:32 pm
Leeberator
Bump
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome