Any way to get an abandoned 1.9 mod to work on 1.10.2?

voicesinthedark's Avatar voicesinthedark10/30/16 10:09 pm
1 emeralds 466 5
10/31/2016 3:34 pm
McHorse's Avatar McHorse
I know this is going to be a very loaded question when it comes to mod creators so let me explain why I'm asking this first off, and the things I'm not asking this for.

1) I'm not trying to take over the mod

2) not trying to distribute it in any way

3)I'm only asking this for my own personal usage on a single player world.

----------

Two of my absolutely favorite/must have decoration mods are no longer being updated by the mod author as of 1.9 and he's not making the code open to the public. I really want to move up to 1.10.2 (no plans on going to 1.11 because frankly what they added is crap), but these really are two mods I don't want to lose. Is there any way for my own personal usage (without access to the source code) to make them compatible with 1.10.2 or am I S.O.L.?
voicesinthedark
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/31/2016 6:47 am
Level 26 : Expert Princess
star_weaver
most 1.9 mods are compatible with 1.10/1.10.2 and should work without any changes, might be a bit buggy though. if thats what your asking - not all mods will work though, ones that require a core mod wont work, ones that edit specific parts of a version wont work. just try and if it dont work then your SoL

coming from personal experience and what ive heard in the modding community itself
10/31/2016 3:34 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Unicorn
McHorse
Yes, I can confirm that, however that doesn't relate only to coremods, that also relates to regular mods. I had an occasion, for one of my mods, I build it for 1.9.4, but it errored on 1.10.2 due to inexistent (i.e. renamed in the Forge) method (in source code it will be the same, but build files for 1.9.4 and 1.10.2 will be different), so I had to build it to 1.10.2 separatly.
10/30/2016 10:12 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
There is no way to make older mods work with never mods (Such as 1.9 ----> 1.10) Unless it gets updated by the Author or you get access to the source code and update it yourself.
10/30/2016 10:23 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
voicesinthedark
Yeah that's what I figured but with not being familiar with how minecraft modding is I figured i'd ask just to be sure, thanks for answering.
10/31/2016 3:34 am
Level 71 : Legendary Unicorn
McHorse
Well, you should know how to mod, in order to port a mod from 1.9 to 1.10. The process is quite simple, for decorative mods, though, (since all what they do are adding a lot of blocks, mostly), unless encounter some bottleneck during porting.

What you do, is extract all the source using Java Decompiler (JD-GUI). Then you rewrite the code to the point it's compilable (change all that func_123_456 to unobfuscated names). You'll have to infer a lot of stuff, though, during that porting, but once you done, you'll have this mod ported to 1.10.

P.S.: I'm aware that you're not a modder, but since you asked it, I provided you with an answer
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome