Helpful Links and Other Things for Modders

PMC's Avatar PMC6/13/14 5:59 pm history
1/11/2017 6:01 am
Lola's Avatar Lola
I saw that Girrafestock's collection of links was a little bit dated now, and I thought it would be a good idea to create an updated version of it.

Learning Java
Before you get into learning how to mod, you really need to have a grasp on Java nd how it works, as it is what Minecraft and most mods are coded in.

TheNewBoston has a great set of Java tutorials, from installing the JDK to much more advanced concepts.

VSWE also has a great set of Java tutorials, these are set out more like lectures, so they give you a real teaching experience.

Forge Tutorials -
Forge is the main API for modding, and is recognised as being the normal standard. The Forge Forums are a great place to ask questions if you are struggling to figure something out.

VSWE also has a great set of Modding Tutorials, ranging from the Basic Stuff onto more advanced topics such as Guis and Models

The Forge Wiki also has a few tutorials on Modding, there are always new things being added to it, and is a great place to check out.

Pahimar has a Let's Mod series, which runs you through modding from beginning to finishing up, this is restarting soon, and is a great resource.

TGG has some stuff that runs you through how the game works, such as rendering, items and blocks.

Reddits
/r/MinecraftModder ran by our own Giraffestock

Other Things You May Need
Techne - This is a great modelling program. It lets you model in 3D and then convert it to a file that you can use in your mod.

paint.net - A great free image manipulation program, useful for creating textures for items and blocks.

IRC Channels
IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat and is a text based online chat. There are different channels to it, and there are a large amount of them that are modding related.
You can get to all of the following from http://www.esper.net/

#MinecraftForge - The general IRC channel for all things modding related
#Minecraft - For all things Minecraft
#minecraft-modding - Pretty Self Explanatory

Open Source Mods
You can learn a lot about modding by looking through other people's code. open source mods are great for this.
Steampunk'd My own mod, feel free to browse the code.
EE3 Pahimar's Mod, good for seeing how more complex things are done, very well coded.
Tinkers Construct Another advanced, nicely coded mod.

A list of other open source Forge Mods

If you have anything else to add, tell me and I will add it.
PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/11/2017 6:01 am
Level 40 : Master Goblin
Lola
Don't revive dead threads. This thread is locked.
01/10/2017 5:30 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Fubuki19
I need a help, I am mounting a modpack but when I start the minecraft launcher the game loads more after the crash report error. I know which are the mods that are giving conflict but I did not want to take these mods, is there any way to solve this error without taking the mods?
06/16/2016 5:56 am
niceminecraft90
thanks, this many helpful
04/27/2015 3:55 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
bmack123
Pretty nice!!!
01/04/2015 6:59 pm
Level 23 : Expert Dragonborn
NeflixNChill
This post seemed pretty helpful and im gunna forward it to some friends!
01/02/2015 3:01 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Crafter
Infominister00
Does anyone know how to make mobs with techne models?
01/03/2016 4:10 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Archer
qwEArfzwsertgredtyhr
I Do!
08/17/2014 10:43 pm
Level 40 : Master Cake
aman207
Figure I might as well add some Bukkit tutorial links

Bukkit Developers portal Lots of beginner information here (setting up workspace, setting up barebones of a plugin, making certain events thread safe etc)

It would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the JavaDocs for bukkit. You will probably need to reference this page a few times when you are looking for a certain event name

TheBCBroz Youtube series of tutorials (he doesn't have a playlist so just keep clicking on the next one on the right). This is the guy that I learned from

Bukkit Development forums. If you're stuck on something, this is the place to know. Lots and lots of knowledgeable people there to help

Stackoverflow is a site where you can go an ask question about virtually any programming language in the world, including Java and you can specifically ask questions about bukkit. Generally you will get a professional response very quickly (assuming your question meets the standards of the site). I use this site A LOT for all my programming needs, helped me get through Computer Science at school
08/13/2014 7:05 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Programmer
SR2610
GiraffestockAh, just saw youupdated hijacked this. Thanks!

It was getting on my nerves, added the subreddit for good measure
08/13/2014 5:46 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Narwhal
Giraffestock
Ah, just saw you updated this. Thanks!
08/04/2014 8:58 pm
EngineerFWT2
I have used Eclipse kepler, Java 8, and Forge to mod. I have coded in six items and they are not showing up when I test it. Can anyone help me?
07/16/2014 10:40 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Dragon
DeepestGamer
I watch the new boston guy all the time, am glad your showing people his videos
07/03/2014 5:47 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Programmer
SR2610
Forge allows mods to be compatible with each other and has been considered the norm for mods for quite some time now, as it allows them to add new things and not break the game, so you can have a ton of mods, and its hardly a hastle to use, it even has its own installer.
07/16/2014 4:45 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Button Pusher
deathcrest5
down side, lag
at least for me
07/16/2014 10:45 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Ninja
Afootpluto
I don't ever lag on modded.
06/30/2014 9:31 pm
Level 40 : Master Taco
Swimmer1929
I don't see why programmers like using Forge so much. Sure, it makes your mod easier to create and easier to update, but in my opinion nothing is more annoying than discovering an awesome mod that looks too good to be true, then scrolling down to the download page and seeing that it requires OTHER mods to run *cough* Forge.
07/16/2014 11:01 pm
Level 28 : Expert Pirate
HassanPCMR
Its actually more convenient when it requires forge and I hate mods that DONT use forge because thats what all mods use and its way more convenient
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome