Minecraft version 1.12.2 on later versions of Java?

TechMaxWare's Avatar TechMaxWare3/22/23 12:15 pm history
2 emeralds 108
Hi Everyone,

This might sound silly at first but bear with me. My friend and I have been in the process of building a modpack for a few years now. Based on the mods we like, and platforms we originally wanted to develop around, we began building our modpack on Minecraft version 1.12.2. A lot of mods we wanted to use, or even the ones which were available were not anymore, or had either changed so much we weren't able to use them with the release of 1.13 and onward.
I know there were a lot of changes in 1.13 and I am not blaming the developers of these mods for that, however due to these changes we chose to stick with version 1.12.2.

That all being said, doing some of my own research, I know others have had similar issues like this.

Has anyone been able to find a semi-reasonable way to get Minecraft 1.12.2 running on a later version of Java besides Java 8? I realize there is a strict requirement around using Java 8 for 1.12.2, however I wasn't sure if there was a good(possibly more secure) way of using legacy support on later versions of Java. Perhaps even injecting Java 8 libraries into a later version? - As you can tell I'm no Java developer here. Hence the reason for my post. LTS goes EOL for Java 8 in 2025, so I'd like to start working on a solution now before that deadline. I know to some degree this must be possible, as GregTech I've heard is doing something similar with an even older version of Minecraft 1.7.10.

Just wondering if anyone has had any decent solutions to this.
TechMaxWare
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner