Reasons why I don't like optifine

thedarkcave's Avatar thedarkcave1/26/20 12:04 pm
3 emeralds 3.3k 25
1/28/2020 11:31 pm
venturousguy's Avatar venturousguy
I've always heard great things about the optifine mod, but I've got a few reasons why I don't use it normally.

4. It's a mod
I enjoy modded minecraft, but I don't want to be forced to launch a modded version of the game to play.

3. It can mess up mobs
Imagine that some mobs you have to fight while they're completely invisible, but can still attack you. That's basically my experience with optifine!

2. It's not compatible with some mods
One of my favorite 1.7.10 mods was the Shapeshifter mod, but if you use optifine, then it pretty much always corrupts your save when you try to morph.

1. Optifine itself can just kinda be broken. Sometimes the game will just kick you out of your own world for no reason. Sure, it's a mod, but I feel like it's a tad bit overrated.

This is not me hating on optifine or anything... This is just my personal preference. Feel free to use optifine to your heart's content!

Also, do you use optifine?

Poll ended 01/29/2020 12:04 pm.

thedarkcave
Level 39 : Artisan Creeper

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/28/2020 11:31 pm
Level 21 : Expert Miner
venturousguy
Sounds like a you problem tbh
01/28/2020 10:47 pmhistory
Level 51 : Grandmaster Professor
Eli the Zeratoed
If you want to play Minecraft with Optifine, you don't need it as a mod. You can actually get it as a profile and it'll reduce more lag than the mod version! Believe me. When I used the mod version on my laptop back in the day, it didn't work as well, but the profile did because it didn't have to worry about forge, shaders, and other stuff running in the background. Here's some proof (Note, I'm using a decent Desktop with Windows 7, so results may vary Also, I'm a little lazy to play a world without Optifine, so you could probably test it for yourself):

(When standing)
01/26/2020 11:45 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Imposter
The ExiIed FeIIow
I used it once, just to reduce lag. But instead, it caused more lag. And crashes my game after a couple seconds.
01/26/2020 9:50 pm
Level 47 : Master Modder
smile4
did you say 1.7.10?

I get it has the best mods and all but really? look I still use optifine over vanilla any day.

Also, I have never experienced any of these bugs in the supported versions like 1.13 1.14, and soon 1.15
01/27/2020 9:23 am
thedarkcave
look; it was a long time ago, ok? It never seemed to have that big of an impact. Also, I would rather have the latest features then have better performance.
01/26/2020 7:42 pm
Level 75 : Legendary uwu
fubukaze
doesn't optifine have like

its own version?

i mean i use 1.8+ (i use multiple version past 1.8 as well) optifine and i don't need to use a mod launcher like forge to use it, i just use the version it created when i installed it-
01/26/2020 6:39 pm
thedarkcave
Sorry if this seems like a lie, I've just not had the best experience with optifine, so I promise, I'm not trying to be a troll, okay? Things just get broken sometimes.
01/26/2020 6:50 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Farmer
Mishkia
As someone who genuinely can't use Chrome, I believe you. Chrome won't even load webpages for me no matter what I do, so I kinda dislike using Chrome. It's oke to not like Optifine, I personally use it bc I like the advanced features and connected textures and the sort, but if those features are unimportant to you, all power to you! ^_^ You will have fun with what you find fun :3
01/26/2020 7:13 pm
thedarkcave
Yes, technology can be buggy! Also, I don't mean to plug my projects, but I recently uploaded a demo of a map I'm working on, and I would like advice if you wouldn't mind checking it out.
01/26/2020 7:35 pmhistory
Mishkia
I'm not great at giving advice when it comes to projects but I will check it out when i can ^-^
01/26/2020 7:36 pmhistory
thedarkcave
Thanks! I'm actually working on an update right now, it'll add 1 new level and more healing potions.
Also, if you need help with anything, let me know.
01/26/2020 5:28 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Fox
Pixus
I myself only use Optifine for shaders and the like, mostly since it changes some aspects that make certain mod features not work, like the Antiblocks from Chisel don't illuminate or how textures that aren't a resolution of a square number are always stretched, which for some blocks, can make the textures blurry.
01/26/2020 6:34 pm
thedarkcave
Yeah, it's not the best for everything, so I don't use it very often.
01/26/2020 4:02 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
cosmicfortune
All of the stuff you've listed literally should not be happening. Optifine shouldn't be kicking you out of your world or causing mobs to be invisible. You might want to report these bugs. If you're using 1.7.10 though primarily, that version is unsupported and has been unsupported for years, and will not get updated.

Alternatively, your computer might just be too old to run Optifine and that might be why those bugs are happening. Granted, I don't know what kind of computer you have.

Optifine also being incompatible with some mods is also pretty normal. Some mods change the same engine stuff that optifine does so they end up just not working. As an alternative to shapeshifter, maybe try Morph by iChun, or for more modern versions, Metamorph by McHorseYT. Those should be compatible with Optifine.

(Optifine also is made primarily as a performance improvement mod. It just provides support for shaders and other special effects as a bonus, as shaders was originally its own standalone mod that got merged with Optifine.)
01/26/2020 6:33 pm
thedarkcave
It's so problematic! I feel like my game has been cursed or something... Also, my computer is only 2 years old, so that shouldn't be a problem. I think the morph mod that I'm using is the one from iChun. I'm just not the biggest fan of modding games, even if it's for performance.
01/26/2020 3:36 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
AwesomeSos
Never felt the need to use optifine, tried it for a few days and wasn't that impressed, vanilla is good enough for me
01/26/2020 7:14 pm
thedarkcave
Totally agree. I haven't found much of a difference since my computer isn't that old and was built around being a gaming pc.
01/26/2020 3:28 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
IPlayAlotaGames
LOL invalid reasonings lmfao
01/26/2020 6:47 pm
Mishkia
No reasons are invalid, it's common that bad experiences will root negative opinions. :3 Having a different opinion founded on bad experience is oke.
01/26/2020 6:29 pm
thedarkcave
Why is it invalid? Optifine is really buggy for me whenever I use it.
01/26/2020 12:43 pm
Level 1 : New Necromancer
ahhhhhhhhha
It is not only a mod, but a version of minecraft in itself, it is a launcher. You can get the launcher, or it is included in stuff like Badlion, and Pixelclient. Might not help completely, but it does help.
01/26/2020 2:41 pm
thedarkcave
Yeah, I just generally prefer vanilla to other things. I'll definitely try that. Is it compatible with LAN and Servers? (It has to be, right?)
01/26/2020 4:09 pmhistory
Mishkia
Yeah, works with servers and all, it's the same as using 1.14 or any other versions, just its with Optifine's features. Generally preforms better / is more stable than when used as its own separate mod tbh, from what I've seen. Basically it's just Vanilla + more configuration in options + more framework to do cool stuff with resource packs.

If you dunno or if someone else who reads this doesn't know what exactly to do...
You just go to the Optifine site and click "Download" (Or "Mirror" if you don't like adfocus). (Sites here >_< just in case, if you already know then no problem. might help someone else who reads this reply.)
Use what you download as an installer (double click the .jar file), make sure its in the right path to your Minecraft, and click "Install," when its done you go to your Minecraft and click the profile that has Optifine in its name for the version you want to play. (Small edit - you do have to get the optifine for the version you want, one version doesn't fit all.)

No 1.15 yet, you can check progress here tho. Hope this helps .w. sorry if its redundant info.
01/26/2020 6:42 pm
thedarkcave
I know how to download it, but when the invisible mobs were happening, it was on a server running 1.11.2 and a badly configured forge installation. :P
01/26/2020 6:44 pm
Mishkia
Yeah that'd probably do it lol!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome