Whould YOU be interested in this mod?

EndPlayz's Avatar EndPlayz5/30/19 5:02 am
5/31/2019 4:14 am
likalaruku's Avatar likalaruku
So I thought about making a mod which adds the ability to change biomes. If you change the terrain of a chunk, the biome will change accordingly.

But I don't want to start collecting the heaps of data required for this mod (like 5-6 calculations per chunk, and like 20 chunks per biome) if nobody whould care about this mod.

So I ask you, whould YOU be interested? Please give your opinion in the poll below.
EndPlayz
Level 31 : Artisan Professor

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/31/2019 4:14 amhistory
Level 34 : Artisan Botanist
likalaruku
Not two days ago I was looking for a way to convert both a forest & a void into any type of biome that snows instead of rains. All I found were some really old posts of people asking the same thing that either never got an answer or were told it couldn't be done.
05/30/2019 4:05 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
Born_0f_Fire
I am an extremely heavy modded player. There are mods out there that include a teraforming device. It is usually extremely late game and expensive to make. IMO, I do not think a new teraforming device is helpful. I would much rather use a biome locating device.
05/30/2019 9:33 am
Level 35 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
The basic idea (that player action can change the biome of an area) is interesting… although it might be subject to explotation/abuse…

A few points where more info is needed:

Biome boundaries and chunk boundaries are rarely coincident (and the only for short runs); in itself probably a minor (and primarily an aesthetic) issue, but relates to...
For a number of biomes the defining terrain is larger than chunk size: eg the difference between a dessert and a beach is the size of the sandy area and the size of the adjacent water area. Beach areas in the neighborhood of 16 blocks wide can occur (as can sections of river), while even a very wide river in the middle of two several chunks wide expanses of sand would be desrt.
For something like extreme hills building a 'believable' example within a chuck would be difficult unless the only qualifier was altitude…

A number of biomes are defined more by flora than by terrain (ie sunflower vs normal plains; forest vs birch forest vs roofed forest). If 'terrain' in the description " If you change the terrain of a chunk, the biome will change accordingly." does not include considering the flora, I don't see how these sets of biomes could be reliably distinguished. [Ice spikes would be another extreme example of this; this biome is defined thess by the shape of the terrain than by of what that terrain is composed. ]

Before pushing into the coding, it might be well to work through English language descriptions of what would be looked for to establish a chunk/area as being of each of the biomes. I suspect finding criteria that are both reasonably objective and of acceptable calculative cost may be difficult… but would seem to be a necessary prerequisite.
05/30/2019 10:09 amhistory
EndPlayz
Well i have thought about most of these issues already:

1. the chunks is to make sure it doesnt take a metric ton of preformance to calculate it for everyblock, and it whould be really hard to calculate some things with ony 1 block. a small price to pay for better preformance.

2. I dont only calculate the terrain, also some things that are dependend on plants:

- Humidity
- Steepness
- Height
- Water coverage
- Water depth
- Temperature

and i have 1 bias, the sand bias. (thinking of more)
further more the following biomes are uncreatable and indestructable, because that whould be too op:
-Mushroom island types
-End biome types
-Nether

3. that defining feature thing is indeed a problem, but using those variables i calculate what whould be the borders for those variables and if you change them past the borders, the biomes get changed. i will use a kind of voronoi diagram, but just not a real one but more like a square one, because i cant draw things in 6D...

If you have any suggestions however, i am open for feedback and ideas (and i need someone to mod for me, i actually cant mod myself, so this is just an idea if nobody wants to help)
05/30/2019 8:56 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
I've been avioding code diving etc with MC so as to keep this as a lighter hobby, but hope you are successful in finding a collaborator for the coding.

I'd not even considered the possibility of creating nether or end biomes outside those dimensions.
(I'm not sure there would currently be any point to allowing end biomes to be changed and the nether currently only has the one, but [assuming your project is successful] projecting it into those dimensions at some future date should conditions change would make sense.)

RE Mushroom biomes: allowing a 'large' expanse of mycelium (or 'mostly' mycelium) to become an actual mushroom biome might be accepatble were it also true that it was entirely surrounded by ocean biome. While this would allow player constructed mushroom islands, it would require a natrural one first be found.

The list of variables you are already considering (in addition to flora) as part of terrain is encouraging... it would appear we have been thinking along similar lines in that regard.

Some form of n-dimensional voronoi dissection sounds like a reasonable approach to determining biome.
Adding a minor random 'fuzzing' of teh edges may also be useful.
The computational overhead could become quite high, so perhaps arranging to run these calculations only very intermittently might be needed. (Along those lines, triggering a reassesment of biome boundaries only in teh chunks loaded around a player and only if the player is awake at 'sunrise' [ie before the time when a sleeper wakes] is one idea that occurs.)
Leaving the spawn chunks unmodifable may also be worth considering (as much as an anti-griefing measure as to lower calculatory expense).

Something that might ease the calculations is to first screen for water biomes (via coverage, possibly depth, and potentially height) and determine land biomes without considering these variables (although height would probably be needed in both).

Whether the idea gets reduced to practice (in the form of a mod) or not, working through how it could be done is still an interesting exercise….
05/31/2019 2:48 amhistory
EndPlayz
Yea, I already had the idea to do the calculations only once a day, like midday, in chunks that are loaded by the player, and one calculation upon being loaded the first time, so you can add tags for the special biomes. The calculations upon first loading are also there to make sure you won't get real stupid biomes like completely flooded forests.

And about mushroom islands, They are terraformes quite often but the people who do that probably don't want the island to lose its anti mob ability, that is another reason why I want mushroom island not able to change, however your idea might work, but that might very hard to add.

And with the end/nether biomes: it's mainly so that you can't make a forest biome in the nether or make an enderman farm in the overworld.
05/30/2019 8:17 am
Level 48 : Master Procrastinator
VincentsAnxiety
I'd be interested but I'm pretty sure you can do this with the world edit mod (And the Plug-in too of course!)..

I'm not completely sure but whatever.. :o
05/30/2019 10:14 am
EndPlayz
it is for survival use. yes you can probably do with world edit, but i bet you have to use commands for it. this will be made to allow people in survival to have more creativity with biomes.
05/30/2019 5:48 am
Level 75 : Legendary Sus
Nitgo
It's spelled would not whould.
05/30/2019 6:46 am
EndPlayz
Ok XD, my autocorrect has probably already given up on me then...
05/30/2019 4:20 pm
Level 48 : Master Answer
Makaneek
autocorrect deserves to die painfully.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome