Console Controller mod?

Hive_Mind's Avatar Hive_Mind4/5/16 2:37 pm
4/6/2016 2:49 pm
Hive_Mind's Avatar Hive_Mind
I'm hoping to buy PC Minecraft since PS3 Minecraft has been completely ruined by the MCCE-441 bug.

However, I've tried it out before, and the big deal-breaker for me is WASD movement. Being able to move in only 8 degrees (W, A, S, D, and the combinations between each) instead of 360 degrees like you can on PS3 kills my build speed, so much so that I can't be motivated to build anything besides modest homes inside of cliffs.

Does anyone know of a mod which will allow 360 degree movement, like you can on Console Edition? I've tried remapping a PS3 Controller using DS Tool to match PC inputs, but that really doesn't work because it's still only 8 degrees of movement regardless of whether it's a joystick acting as WASD or the actual WASD keys.

Note: I'm not trying to start a war between PC and console fanboys / fangirls here. I'm not saying there is a "better way" to play. I'm saying I don't like using the keyboard to play. Not that it's worse; only that it is my personal preference not to use it.

Also, I don't want to use a controller in one hand and mouse in the other, as a few people have suggested on other forums.
Hive_Mind
Level 36 : Artisan Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/06/2016 10:51 am
Level 77 : Legendary Alien
papertazer
The Steam controller is actually amazing for minecraft.
04/06/2016 5:06 am
Level 36 : Artisan Nerd
Dlljs
You can also use Xpadder. It is an app that remaps controller buttons to keyboard keys.
04/06/2016 6:06 am
Hive_Mind
From the OP:
I've tried remapping a PS3 Controller using DS Tool to match PC inputs, but that really doesn't work because it's still only 8 degrees of movement regardless of whether it's a joystick acting as WASD or the actual WASD keys.
04/06/2016 12:31 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
macgarthur
That's because you're using DS Tool instead of something good like Xpadder. Xpadder can do some amazing stuff you can even get into binding multiple controllers layouts.

I use the same Xbox 360 controller via xpadder to play all my emulators (NES, SNES, PS1, etc) I also play some flight simulator games, Minecraft, GTA V, Skyrim and some shooters. Believe me, it can do pretty much anything and go way beyond what you could do on the console.
04/06/2016 2:49 pm
Hive_Mind
Oh I just assumed they were two programs which accomplished basically the same thing. I'll check out XPadder and see if it can do what I'm looking for. Might post back here if I have any questions that Google doesn't satisfy. Thank you!
04/06/2016 3:50 am
Hive_Mind
Hm, okay, slightly different idea: Is there any way to change PC Minecraft's control so that you don't use the mouse to aim, but rather, to move? If I have to decide between jerky aiming and jerky movement, I'll take jerky aiming (especially since it's gradual, so it would be less dramatic, I think). Then I could remap one of the joysticks to function as the mousepad, and maybe that would make it work as well / almost as well as native controller support.
04/06/2016 3:42 am
Hive_Mind
CaptainMurica
macgarthurThere's a mod that adds controller support to the Java-based version of Minecraft, but as of now it doesn't have an update for 1.9.

However, OP, I suggest you learn the keyboard controls. Like any new control setup it will take getting used to, but once you do you'll realize you have a lot more control over how you move.

Yeah, I'm not on Windows 10. Well, damn. I guess I'll just have to deal with having only 8 axes of movement.

I'm not going to respond to the second part because I REALLY don't want this to become a Console vs PC thread, but suffice it to say, I will never like the controller controls as much as the controller. I'll probably just end up using the keyboard remapped as WASD keys. Or just not play Minecraft until they fix MCCE-441, I guess.
04/05/2016 3:38 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Dragon
brostermedia
minecraft has no intergrated controller support i belive so i guess it requires an external program to run the game with a controller
04/05/2016 3:42 pm
macgarthur
If I'm not mistaken Windows 10 changed that and now has integrated Xbox controller support for everything so these days it is just plug and play. Otherwise you just use an external keymapping program like Xpadder or another alternative, takes 5 minutes to setup the keybinds and you're ready to roll.
04/05/2016 3:53 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Only Minecraft Windows 10 Edition has native controller support on PC. Xpadder will work, but in my experience it doesn't do a good enough job (mostly due to the inability to set up context-sensitive button mapping).

There's a mod that adds controller support to the Java-based version of Minecraft, but as of now it doesn't have an update for 1.9.

However, OP, I suggest you learn the keyboard controls. Like any new control setup it will take getting used to, but once you do you'll realize you have a lot more control over how you move.
04/05/2016 2:41 pm
macgarthur
You know if you've got a wired ps3 or xbox 360 controller you can just plug them in and use that to play with so you don't have to use the keyboard and mouse. The xbox controller is almost plug and play but for more customization you can use programs like Xpadder.
04/05/2016 3:04 pm
Hive_Mind
I don't think that's true. I'll try it, but that worked with Fallout, I don't think it worked with Minecraft.
04/05/2016 3:33 pm
macgarthur
It is since that's how I play most of the time lol. Sit on my couch and play on the big screen tv, much more comfortable than using the keyboard and mouse most of the time. There's also some mods that make crafting for example just like it is on the console versions of the game so it makes using a controller more fluid.

I use xpadder to play a ton of games with my controller. I remember even years ago I used to play WoW with my Xbox 360 controller, was super comfortable even though nobody believed me. Since Xbox is owned by Microsoft it's plug and play with Windows and the majority of PC games even recognize the Xbox controller and have premade control schemes since more and more people are using controllers to play PC games.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome