Help setting up Eclipse, etc.

beengone's Avatar beengone6/28/18 10:27 am
1 emeralds 209 7
6/29/2018 9:47 am
beengone's Avatar beengone
A parent dropped off a laptop for me to help set up for their son who just attended a camp to mod Minecraft. I know nothing about Minecraft or about any of the tools on their install instructions. Here are the instructions: https://www.idtech.com/readme/2018-ijam2

when I run "gradlew-setup-eclipse-windows.bat" I get

"Error: Could not find or load main class org.gradle.wrapper.GradlewrapperMain"

I researched it and see it could be related to Java, whether version (I have confirmed everything I installed is 64-bit), or pointer to Java. Here's where I am lost.

I finished out the instructions, but without knowing anything about how to use this, I cannot tell if it works.

This is Windows 10. Can anyone help me?

beengone
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/29/2018 3:17 amhistory
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
Why would you limit them to Eclipse though? There are tons of Java IDE's out there, I strongly suggest that you allow them to pick an IDE of their own. You don't need Eclipse for Java modding you know, you can just as easy do the same with NetBeans, IntelliJ, etc. just to name a few.

Also: you should know better than to trust download links on random websites. If you want to install Eclipse then go to the Eclipse website, do NOT trust some vague "minecraft modding site"; for all you know they could be trying to feed you malware. And it also shouldn't be too hard to find: just search Google for "eclipse java ide" and you're done.

Download the latest version, you'll get an installer, and just follow the instructions. But yeah, do make sure that you installed a JDK first. JDK 8 is good, but JDK 10 is the latest.

PS:

If you want to reply to someone please use the "reply" icon below their post (bottom right corner). That way you actually reply and they'll also get a notification. Just replying to the thread could risk them not seeing the whole thing.

(edit)

May I suggest this link to help you get started? That's the actual and official Forge documentation, and as you can see it doesn't limit themselves to batch files. That's because Java coding is done throughout all platforms and normally you wouldn't limit yourself to one platform alone (I'm a bit skeptical about those instructions when they rely on batchfiles).
06/29/2018 9:10 amhistory
beengone
This is not a random site. This is the camp site where he attended. He'd like to use the tools with which he's familiar: those he used at camp. If you look at the instructions, they do send you directly to the Eclipse site, etc. The problem is not in what we're trying to do, but in making it work.

Thanks for pointing out the reply. I did not see that when I posted my answer to carbonawk
06/29/2018 9:32 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
Well, considering that this is their specific way of doing things then I really think you should take it up with them. After all, apparently you paid for that. Sorry to sound like a grumpy critic but when looking at that website... let's just say I'm not a fan :D

See, the reason I call this website obscure (I still do) is because their instructions actually contradict the official Forge methodology here and there. With all due respect but wouldn't the Forge project be the defacto source to know best how to set up an environment for mod development?

Anyway, this isn't helping you....

My suggestion is honestly to take this up with the people behind the course because they should know the ideas behind all this. For someone who didn't follow this course... yah, see my reaction above :P

Or, and that is my actual suggestion, skip this whole procedure and follow the Forge documentation instead. As you can see those are instructions also specifically targeted at either Eclipse or IntelliJ so you should be good either way. Following that methodology will also allow others to help you. Because most modders will honestly follow Forge instructions over anything else, especially when the instructions actually seem to diverge a bit from the official guidelines.

Still hoping this can help somewhat.
06/29/2018 9:47 am
beengone
Thanks. I have contacted them, but I'm waiting to hear back and hope someone else can help get this up-and-running for my client. That's why I posted here.
06/28/2018 5:04 pm
beengone
Java SE Development Kit 8 Update 171 (64-bit)
06/28/2018 10:36 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Cake
carbonawk
Which java version do you have installed specifically? full name, please.
06/29/2018 9:11 am
beengone
Java SE Development Kit 8 Update 171 (64-bit)

*Thanks ShelLuser for pointing out the reply.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome