forum Forumsplay_arrow Minecraft fiber_manual_record Mods

How do I get started in Forge modding?

1 emerald β€’ 4 replies68 views
created 09/18/2018 4:32 pm by HappyHippo77
last reply 09/19/2018 2:40 pm
Hey! I've been making mods for a little while now, but I used a system called MCreator, which doesn't allow me complete control over the features. It would be cool if I could learn the code for modding so I could do it all myself but I'm not sure where to learn the codes. I already have basic Java understanding, though I have another half book worth of studying to do. Also slightly off topic but if anyone knows how to get started coding bukkit plugins I'm also interested in that! :)
Posted by avatar
HappyHippo77
Level 22 : Expert Ninja

4 replies

09/19/2018 8:47 am
Level 25 Expert Musician
TheToimeWulf
I'm actually not a modder myself (sorry!), but I've helped with mods in the past. If you want to get started in modding for forge, I'd recommend starting by reverse engineering a mod that you like or think is a good basis for the type(s) of mods you'd like to create. If you learn how the mods look as individual pieces and then put them back together, it can be a great help in understanding what does what where and when.
09/19/2018 2:40 pm
Level 22 Expert Ninja
HappyHippo77
I've already tried this but I can't figure out how to open up mods that have already been published in something like eclipse to where I can read the code. :(
09/18/2018 11:32 pm
Level 33 Artisan Engineer
ShelLuser
Now, I honestly dislike "RTFM" kind of answers but considering the complexity of the whole thing and the current availability of documentation my suggestion is still to read the fine manual. The Forge website has a complete manual on how to get started. Just follow their examples and you should be good.

And the reason I still went for this route is because programming / developing consists of plenty of reading documentation, especially if you're going to use an API of some sorts in order to develop programs for it.
09/19/2018 2:39 pm
Level 22 Expert Ninja
HappyHippo77
Oh neat! Thanks!

Search

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2018
planetminecraft.com

Welcome