forum Forumsplay_arrow Minecraft fiber_manual_record Mods

Is optifine considered a mod?

1 emerald11 replies235 views
created 02/22/2019 12:49 am by CD242
last reply 02/23/2019 7:37 am
Optifine is technically a mod to the original game, but it does so little to gameplay that I personally don't want to call it a mod. Servers don't have to have a special optifine plugin or whatever and optifine and non-optifine players can play at the same time together. So does optifine modify the game more than just modifying how the game runs? I don't think i'd consider a mod over an optimization tool. That's why i'm asking.
Posted by avatar
CD242
Level 8 : Apprentice Dragon

11 replies

02/23/2019 4:14 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Taco
error401
YeS but so is orespawn!
02/23/2019 7:37 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
InfiniteCorners
Optifine is definitely a mod and has features that can significantly expand texture assets and resources, to a point where the world can look completely different for 2 players using the same resource pack if one of them is using Optifine and the other isn't. With connected textures, random entities, custom items and block properties it gets a lot harder to say it isn't a mod. Vanilla minecraft glass is a clear face with solid pixels on it and creepers are a bright green but when I turn on Optifine all of my glass borders connect, the solid pixels disappear, the glass renders as translucent and all of those bright green creepers camouflage to their biome- seems pretty modified to me.
When used at its most minimal level Optifine seems like nothing more than a performance booster but that same program has a whole bunch of features designed for resource pack makers that you may never experience if you don't download a pack with those features used. You should try an expensive Optifine pack like Conquest_ or ItemBound, just make sure to read about what they add to the game and how to add it.
02/23/2019 4:08 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Artist
TALAHU
Y E S
02/22/2019 6:36 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Droid
Scott
Yes.
Mod is short for modification. Optifine modifies the game.
ANYTHING that modifies the game in anyway is a technically a mod.
02/22/2019 8:21 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Zapiogames
Optifine Is a Mod That Can Go In the folder and also a client for players to use the mods folder for forge players that also want to use optifine also with their Favourite mods (Like Hax Nowadays)
02/22/2019 7:25 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Warrior
TheCyanShyGuy
as Scott said, it technically IS a mod but not like a gun mod, more creatures, morph, or more bosses thing, more of a smoother running tool
02/22/2019 6:40 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Archer
Kwanatla
Theoretically, yes, it is a mod (-ification), but I see what you're trying to say... It does modify the grass blocks for example, you can set cloud height, so, I would say, yes, it is a mod.
02/22/2019 4:12 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Princess
Dexe
Technically yes
02/22/2019 1:52 am
Level 28 : Expert Modder
Toma1O6
Optifine is client side mod. That's why you don't need it on servers (and it wouldn't even work on server).
02/22/2019 7:06 pm
Level 20 : Expert Skinner
ImYourEnder
Optifine works on servers.
02/23/2019 3:56 am
Level 28 : Expert Modder
Toma1O6
I meant it like you can't install it on your server, into the server mod list.

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome