I know Intermediate Java. Now what?

Colonellooo's Avatar Colonellooo12/14/15 1:59 am
1 emeralds 387 5
12/14/2015 7:52 pm
Colonellooo's Avatar Colonellooo
Hello fellow Java developers! Now what I mean by intermediate Java is that I'm roughly half through Java A Beginner's Guide 6th Edition by Herbert Schildt. I have a few quick questions but before I get to those here's a bit of backstory. So I've been teaching myself Java over the past year. Lately I haven't been continuing my studies due to school and interest in other programming languages. I don't want my knowledge of Java to go to waste so here's my questions.

Where can I learn to make Spigot/Bukkit plugins?

Can I learn how to make a functioning plugin in two weeks, spending roughly four hours a day learning?
Colonellooo
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/14/2015 7:09 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Programmer
deadrecon98
Good stuff man, i'm glad to see another aspiring programmer! As far as the Bukkit(Spigot now) API, it's so easy a baby could use it. From my usage of it, i've found that this is the best tutorial site to use; it gives you information on how to do many things with the API as well as examples on what they do so it makes for a really good source of knowledge.
If you happen to however run into any issues then please feel free to contact me on skype or via PM on here and I will help you out as much as possible.
~Good Luck Coding!
12/14/2015 7:52 pm
Colonellooo
Awesome! Thanks for the link and advice.
12/14/2015 4:11 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Engineer
hmmcrunchy
hey sure can, its good to keep it going, if you're like me if I don't program for a while I tend to forget how to do things.. if you have a good grasp of the basics its not too hard to do plugins, loads of help online and from spigot forums, plus open source applications you can look at the code to see how things are done.

I reckon you can do a plugin in a coupe of weeks (depending on what you choose to do )
12/14/2015 3:20 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Dolphin
vapetricks420
I'm happy you're taking an interest in Bukkit and programming! Lets get started!

1.) I would suggest first looking at how to set up your bukkit project, its pretty simple, you just need to make it to where you are able to use the BukkitAPI. Some helpful links: http://wiki.bukkit.org/Setting_Up_Your_Workspace, Once you're done reading that, you can download bukkit on here: http://tcpr.ca/bukkit

2.) Now would be the time to think about what you're going to make. I would suggest first just making a simple plugin that sends a player a message, or maybe spawns a zombie.

3.) Now for the fun stuff! Now you get to make it all happen! Now what I would suggest is go online (Youtube) and look up something along the lines of "Bukkit coding tutorial" or "How to make a bukkit plugin". Find a tutorial you like, go to the first episode, and follow it through!

4.) Now as you do that you will most likely run into an error somewhere along. Now would be the time to look in your java book, search online, or (If you still can't figure it out) message me for some help <-- I'll almost never be too busy, but I might take some time to respond.

I really hope this helped you out! - Ultracrepadarian AKA saigonheat
12/14/2015 6:23 pm
Colonellooo
Thanks for all the info! I'll make sure to use it.

hmmcrunchyhey sure can, its good to keep it going, if you're like me if I don't program for a while I tend to forget how to do things.. if you have a good grasp of the basics its not too hard to do plugins, loads of help online and from spigot forums, plus open source applications you can look at the code to see how things are done.

I reckon you can do a plugin in a coupe of weeks (depending on what you choose to do )

Yeah I understand the basics pretty well now. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look in to those!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome