New to mods

truetone's Avatar truetone1/30/14 9:20 pm
1/31/2014 9:24 pm
truetone's Avatar truetone
My wife and i own a server and are looking to get mods on our white listed server that our family plays on along with a few other people, could anyone help us get some ideas on what we are looking at here? can you get more then one mod per server? i was told no only one at a time, also is it like getting a plugin for your server? or is getting one on much harder? any info on this would be great!
truetone
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/31/2014 9:24 pm
truetone
thank you all very much
01/31/2014 9:18 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
InvisibleFlame
truetone
InvisibleFlame
UMayBleedYou are able to get more than 1 mod, Before 1.7, there is id conflicts, still can be, but very rarely, since it uses unique ids.

Really? I did not know that about 1.7. I've been hanging onto 1.6.4. Maybe I should consider upgrading as long as enough of my favorite mods have also.

you guys make it look so simple lol, i need a mod for dummies book lol

Simple for servers? I can't help you with plugins and servers because I have never owned a server.

Simple for installing mods in general? Very simple! Mind you with a few exceptions ..when mods don't install with Forge or when it doesn't work.

If you are in question about mods in general...everything "how-to" is an open book by searching youtube..

And do this:

Install Forge and Optifine....together before you install any other mods. You will have created a unique profile for this forge/optifine that you must select in the Minecraft launcher. The Optifine is an important thing to take care of from the start because the set up is a little complicated and it will really help game performance and will give you valuable options when it comes to configuring performance settings. So... That's the 'base setup'.

Make a file for your Minecraft "back-up" files and save a copy of your .minecraft in that folder. This is your whole Minecraft with Forge/Optifine installed only. It will save your butt many times over. Trust me! Then, create a 'shortcut' on your desktop to your .minecraft. This is handy also because you can access your "roaming" folder from this shortcut.

Once you have that initial "forge/optifine"....set up as your base set-up. Install any additional mods one-at-a-time (loading the game each time to check that it worked) and just drop them into your "mods" folder of your .minecraft. There is a good reason to do one at a time. I've installed a number of mods all at once and the game wouldn't launch. And also installed the same mods one at a time and it all worked fine. Also check your inventory in "/gamemode 1" (look at all the items available and make sure none of the items appear as a pink and black check-pattern-block. Seeing such a thing means there are id errors and therefore that item will not work correctly in game.

Lastly, install at first only your top 5 or 10 mods. As long as the game works fine....save a copy of your '.minecraft' with these mods so you can recover from a bad installation of any additional mods.

Hope that helps!
01/31/2014 7:45 pm
truetone
InvisibleFlame
UMayBleedYou are able to get more than 1 mod, Before 1.7, there is id conflicts, still can be, but very rarely, since it uses unique ids.

Really? I did not know that about 1.7. I've been hanging onto 1.6.4. Maybe I should consider upgrading as long as enough of my favorite mods have also.

you guys make it look so simple lol, i need a mod for dummies book lol
01/31/2014 7:36 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
InvisibleFlame

01/31/2014 7:29 pm
truetone
jadedwolf424
truetoneMy wife and i own a server...

You, sir, have an awesome wife. Unless you just decided that you should get a home hosted server so that your 2-8 kids can use it as entertainment. ..

thanks lol, our kids do play on it as well however my wife and i are old gamer nerds lol
though i have to say our other games were much easier to log on and play where MC and owning a server well lots of coding lol now to just get people to join our server and find someone 18+ that wants to own a server as well and join ours to go in 1/2 and be part owner we would be set.
01/31/2014 4:06 pm
Level 21 : Expert Archer
jadedwolf424
I'm assuming you have more than one child....
01/31/2014 4:05 pm
Level 21 : Expert Archer
jadedwolf424
truetoneMy wife and i own a server...

You, sir, have an awesome wife. Unless you just decided that you should get a home hosted server so that your 2-8 kids can use it as entertainment. ..
01/31/2014 2:57 pm
truetone
so let me see if i have this right, plugins are used for servers where mods are more used for single player right?
01/31/2014 3:58 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Mods are for installing to your client, yes, meaning you install them on your computer in your Minecraft folder and they do not show up for other players when you decide to play on a server that doesn't have to corresponding plugin installed.
01/31/2014 2:56 pm
truetone
You can have more than one plugin that adds new content to the game, for example Mo' Creatures and Redpower. In order to play however, people that join your server have to have the correct mod version of the plugin you're using installed otherwise they won't be able to see textures, or use/craft the new items.

In answer to some of your other questions:

- No, everyone doesn't get /creative if you install a plugin to your server. You have to give them permissions to access new game modes, which an issue dealt with in whatever permissions plugin you decide to use, like PEX or Groupmanager.

- Plugins are completely safe as long as you are downloading them from a trusted source. Never download plugins or mods from a site or person you do not trust.

- As of 1.6 Minecraft, you don't have to delete your .minecraft folder every time you want to reset your mods. .jars are now stored in your "versions" folder so you can mod your game by version and switch between .jars with different sets of mods at any time with ease.[/quote]

you went off talking about plugins and i thank you for that however i already know about plugins my question is about mods
01/31/2014 2:53 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Just so this is clear...

Mods = Client-side

Plugins = Server-side

You don't install mods to your server because it doesn't work that way. Some mods authors, but not all, do create plugins to run alongside their mods for servers that want to use them. Make sure what you are installing is a plugin and not a mod.

You can have more than one plugin that adds new content to the game, for example Mo' Creatures and Redpower. In order to play however, people that join your server have to have the correct mod version of the plugin you're using installed otherwise they won't be able to see textures, or use/craft the new items.

In answer to some of your other questions:

- No, everyone doesn't get /creative if you install a plugin to your server. You have to give them permissions to access new game modes, which an issue dealt with in whatever permissions plugin you decide to use, like PEX or Groupmanager.

- Plugins are completely safe as long as you are downloading them from a trusted source. Never download plugins or mods from a site or person you do not trust.

- As of 1.6 Minecraft, you don't have to delete your .minecraft folder every time you want to reset your mods. .jars are now stored in your "versions" folder so you can mod your game by version and switch between .jars with different sets of mods at any time with ease.
01/31/2014 2:40 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
planetminecrafter52342
It a mod changes how the game is, like adds blocks, another dimension, or any new item, then both client and server must have the same mod, and mod versions.
01/30/2014 10:03 pm
truetone
also if we were to get say the moon mod, for everyone on our server to play as well do they have to install them as well? or will it work as if it was a plugin say?
01/30/2014 10:01 pm
truetone
First let me say thank you for the help you are giving me unlike the trolling i got in the chat room, i am looking first to just get the moon mod, to be able to build a space ship and fly to the moon i thought was cool, however i don't know anything about mods guys/gals im just some old dude out of touch with all this stuff lol however would enjoy to learn how to get them. My wife is good with plugins so i think we should be some what ok getting it up i think, however one mod per server? also dose everyone get /creative? and how safe are they? what i mean is how do we know they are safe to get and what ones are not? and last the videos i seen on how to get them say that we have to delete our .minecraft folder? if this is true will we have to install minecraft each time we wish to go back to the basic? and if we wanted to change up mods we just don't want to go in and start deleting folders you know?
01/30/2014 9:31 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Prince
n8mo
poltercreeperit can lag alot.

Plugins are also a contributor to lag. Believe me T_T

I'm not overly familiar with installing mods serverside, but as stated above, you'll likely need forge.
01/30/2014 9:28 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Goblin
poltercreeper
are you talking about mods(forge) or plugins(bukkit)? either way yes its possible to get more than one, but with mods you might have id conflicts to work out and it can lag alot.
01/30/2014 9:24 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
planetminecrafter52342
You are able to get more than 1 mod, Before 1.7, there is id conflicts, still can be, but very rarely, since it uses unique ids.

For mods, they mostly use MinecraftForge, so you would have to install that. And most mods now just go in your /mods folder.

What version of minecraft?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome