Flush and seamless 2x2 trapdoors!

RuaMcG123's Avatar RuaMcG1232/11/16 6:41 pm
1 emeralds 503 3
2/12/2016 12:16 am
RuaMcG123's Avatar RuaMcG123
Dropbox download!

Hi again all! Just thought I'd show off some designs I came up with for 2x2 trapdoors. They're each fairly compact, and each has a distinct advantage over the other.

In most piston trapdoors, the pistons will move into the wall on the side and no further. Given that this is a trapdoor, this makes sense; however, I don't think it looks very pretty. I decided to take some time, and I designed a trapdoor that was 10x3x10. I didn't think this was good enough, and fiddled around with it until I got it 10x3x8.

This is what I came up with. You may be able to see that the blocks retracted go into the wall, but no further, unlike the pistons which are pulled back into the wall by double extenders. It is flush, seamless, and in sync though. Its distinct advantage over my other design is that it opens quickly, and makes no noise until it starts opening. Also, if all the blocks are the same, it certainly is completely seamless.

Unfortunately, these blocks couldn't be any moveable block you want. Glass is moveable, after all, and glass being used here doesn't really make a masterful trap; it also looks a bit silly, don't you think?

I decided that I wanted a glass door. Obviously then, I would need to retract the pistons each time. After a little tinkering, I found something that worked; this is what I came up with.

As you can see, the blocks that are moved are completely hidden when the door is open, and of course you won't see pistons through your transparent blocks. This does give it the downfall of taking longer to open; however, you have the added bonus of a sneak peak of whatever is below!

So these were my trapdoors, I hope you like them and perhaps try to make them a bit smaller. If you have any questions, leave a reply and I just might get back to you, eventually!
RuaMcG123
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner