Lightmaps, what, where and how?

Pirate_Ray's Avatar Pirate_Ray4/29/13 3:30 pm
1 emeralds 3.9k 3
5/3/2013 11:14 pm
DasDuriel's Avatar DasDuriel
i've seen many of the forementioned lightmaps pass me by in different colors and intensities. and i am trying to edit them to my liking, however i cannot find a tutorial or proper info about them and therefore i ask this here before i mess up big time.
also i am probably not the only one having this issue so i will edit this post with proper info for other people in the future.

so.... as the title implies;

what are lightmaps?
the lightmap files are files which contain the data for the lighting engine ingame.

what do they do?
each file represents a color or muliple colors and strenghts of the various lights which will be rendered ingame.

what part of the lightmap does what and what is the difference between the various files?

lightmap0:
Click to reveal
example:

the bottom half is for light emitted from a source such as a torch or glowstone, the upper half is ambient light.
Nx32 or Nx64 overworld lighting palettes
more details coming soon.

lightmap1:
Click to reveal
example:

Nx32 or Nx64 End lighting palettes.

lightmap-1:
Click to reveal
example:

Nx32 or Nx64 Nether lighting palettes.

light_normal:
Click to reveal
sorry nothing here yet

where is the color of redstone torches, torches, sunlight, dawn, evening, night moonlight, etc located?
look at the question above, your awnser is probably awnsered there. for more details about the files click the spoilers.

how to edit them correctly?
the editing of these files can be done easily by manipulating any of these files in image manipulation software like:
paint.net,
GIMP,
Photoshop,
Etc...

Click to reveal
examples of the lightmaps in question, variations and all:

for a better view press the link:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6166/80594078.png
Pirate_Ray
Level 32 : Artisan Dragon