Multiple textures for blocks possible?

Althestane's Avatar Althestane1/22/14 10:26 am
1 emeralds 2.1k 5
3/28/2014 8:48 pm
insomniac_lemon's Avatar insomniac_lemon
I've only been a skinner so far, but have wanted to take a crack at a texture/resource pack for a while. There's a lot of info to take into account, and a lot of textures that would need to be worked on - never realized how much effort you guys put into these things!

Anywho, I understand that you can create 'animated' textures for blocks (at least you could before the switch to resource packs - is this still possible?) and that you can have multiple different, randomly chosen skins for mobs (is this all mobs, or just a select few?). But i'm curious if there can be multiple different textures for standard blocks? For instance, say I wanted a cobblestone wall to look like it had some variation in the size of the stones - would it be possible to give a 'small-stone' texture and a 'big-stone' texture to the block that would be randomly applied when the block was placed?

My guess is that the answer is "no", but i'm too much of a noob at texture packs at the moment so I thought I'd ask.
Thanks!
Althestane
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Narwhal

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/09/2014 9:14 pm
Level 40 : Master Pixel Painter
insomniac_lemon
Yes, in vanilla you can animate textures. To do this, you make a vertical image strip, and then you make a .mcmeta file (for instance, animated glowstone would have glowstone.png.mcmeta) that configures the animation. The simplest configuration possible is {"animation": {}} but if you want to change the speed or frame order, obviously it gets more complex.

If you want help with this, here's a good tutorial for it. Like Awesomchop said, my pack also has animated textures, so you can root around in that to see what I did, if you like. Most of my animations are simple, too, so it's not too scary.

Now random block textures and mobs? Sorry, not with vanilla. You can do that with MCpatcher, though. I also have random textures in my pack (specifically grass top, gravel, and tall grass) if you'd like to check that out, too.

Also, Awesomchop, you should have messaged me, I always seem to find threads like this where I'm mentioned but nobody tells me.
03/28/2014 7:07 pm
Level 43 : Master Blockhead
Zaclemore
I think he is trying to say how to give a block like cobblestone different sides like one side is a big rock then some smaller rocks...I also had the same question
03/28/2014 8:48 pm
Level 40 : Master Pixel Painter
insomniac_lemon
It mentioned that AND animation. I covered the "random textures" question:

insomniac_lemonNow random block textures and mobs? Sorry, not with vanilla. You can do that with MCpatcher, though. I also have random textures in my pack (specifically grass top, gravel, and tall grass) if you'd like to check that out, too.

Check out the MCpatcher wiki for more info.
01/22/2014 11:25 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Blockhead
deleted02
I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I suggest that you ask insomniac_lemon since his pack has some animated textures.
01/22/2014 10:36 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Dragon
RollerdinoGaming
To get animated textures, i believe you have to make the texture a .gif animated file, and your 'multiple textures per block' is only possible with a patch (don't know which one).
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome