Weekly Texture Design Competition - Join In and Enter!

StormCoreFilms's Avatar StormCoreFilms9/26/13 8:37 am
1 emeralds 5.2k 105
10/24/2013 6:04 pm
LetsPlay2D's Avatar LetsPlay2D
TEXTURE OF THE WEEK: NONE - CLICK TO READ

Welcome to the forum thread of the Weekly Texture Design Competition. The complete introductory video is available below. It outlines how the competition will be run, what the prizes are for winning, and how to enter. As a quick summary, the competition will involve creating the texture which I covered in my most recent texture/resource pack tutorial. The textures will be 128x128 pixels and realistic in nature, as I show in the tutorials. The aim of this is to create the best texture, from the tutorial; this will then be added to the community pack that comprises the winning texture of each week, available here.

Prizes:

- Have your texture in the final community pack, available here
- Choose the next texture in my texture/resource pack tutorial series (from a supplied list)
- Be featured on my YouTube channel for your victory week
- Be permanently credited on the official forum page with links to their profiles
- Given a privilege of some sort in my large upcoming server, Infected Realms

Entry Requirements:

- Create a 128x128 realistic texture which I covered in the previous tutorial; if it is from a set, such as wool, all textures must be supplied for consistency
- Provide links to any textures used so I can find any copyright licenses attached

TEXTURE OF THE WEEK: NONE - CLICK TO READ

From the release of a tutorial, you have until the either until the next tutorial or competition update video, a week later (whichever comes first), to complete and submit your texture to be in the running. The winner will be announced either in that video or in a separate one.

WEEKLY UPDATE VIDEO:

If you could subscribe to my channel and spread the competition around, this would also be greatly appreciated! Tell me what you think about this and any other suggestions you might have in this forum - thank you, and happy texturing!
StormCoreFilms
Level 81 : Elite Artist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/24/2013 6:04 pm
Level 46 : Master Pixel Painter
LetsPlay2D
Shiny_Underpants
StormCoreFilms
LetsPlay2D
I wish you the best of luck!
I hope that it will come back soon, I want to participate (Real Life is more important ofcourse)

Shiny_Underpants
Good luck with your exams!

Thank you guys! I appreciate your kind words!

Shiny_Underpants
How do you make those images of blocks?

I actually don't use an external program to make them. What I do is make a type of in-game green-screen. I change the texture of a block to a single colour and then put that block all around the one that I want to take a picture of. I then take a screenshot and remove the background easily in photoshop!

That strategy occurred to me, but I thought mathematical accuracy would be better. If I have one weakness, it's wanting everything to be perfectly accurate.

I want to make everything perfect too! Unfortunately I can't do that this wel, others like it that much I think
10/24/2013 2:35 am
StormCoreFilms
Shiny_Underpants
That strategy occurred to me, but I thought mathematical accuracy would be better. If I have one weakness, it's wanting everything to be perfectly accurate.

That's fair enough. They still come out alright but I guess using an external program is better.
10/23/2013 11:28 pm
Level 27 : Expert Toast
SquircularKnights
StormCoreFilms
LetsPlay2D
I hope that it will come back soon, I want to participate (Real Life is more important ofcourse)

Shiny_Underpants

Shiny_Underpants

I actually don't use an external program to make them. What I do is make a type of in-game green-screen. I change the texture of a block to a single colour and then put that block all around the one that I want to take a picture of. I then take a screenshot and remove the background easily in photoshop!

10/23/2013 1:45 pm
LetsPlay2D
I think i used Qubicle Constructor, not 100% sure right now :I lemme check again, but you can try Qubicle for when I can't find any other program

EDIT: techne! I used Techne!
EDIT2: i made THISjustforfun after downloading a techne-model
10/20/2013 7:06 am
StormCoreFilms
NEWS:

There will be no weekly competitions for the following month or so. This is due to the fact that I have my final exams fast approaching and I can't afford to focus on my YouTube channel as much. The competition will most likely resume after this time.

Thank you for understanding!
10/21/2013 6:18 pm
SquircularKnights
10/21/2013 8:55 am
LetsPlay2D
10/22/2013 4:42 am
StormCoreFilms
Shiny_Underpants

Shiny_Underpants

10/20/2013 7:03 am
StormCoreFilms
WINNER OF THE WEEK: SPEEDYCUBE

CONGRATULATIONS!
10/21/2013 6:17 pm
SquircularKnights
10/21/2013 6:29 pm
LetsPlay2D
I have a program which can do that but unfortunately I forgot the name right now ... And I doesn't have access here :I I'll give you a link later if you want (its night time here and I have school soon but after that, I'll be right here to send you the link! ^^)
10/21/2013 8:26 pm
SquircularKnights
That's fine, it can wait.... several weeks
10/17/2013 12:28 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
VerendusOne
im sorry about the last post i should have read it first. it makes no sense. but thank you im glad you like them. oh btw i have no idea how to reply :3
10/17/2013 6:27 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Artist
projectgami
It's quite easy just use the quote button on the right top of a post
10/18/2013 9:58 pm
VerendusOne
ok ty i did not know what that was i am what you call a first time user of pmc
10/15/2013 11:34 am
VerendusOne
just so you know all the other textures i put in a like this one i still dont know it looks good but yet bad i have no idea y lol any ways here you go.

Link to Block: https://imgur.com/a/mQaqY
Link to texture used: http://texturez.com/textures/stone/3894
10/17/2013 6:09 am
StormCoreFilms
Your textures look good though! Thanks for your entry, as always!
10/14/2013 9:05 am
VerendusOne
im going to work on my after school today but i have one thing to ask. how do you pick the winners? because a lot of them i see seem to look really good to how can you chose?
10/15/2013 1:44 am
StormCoreFilms
That's right, most of the textures are really good! The criteria I set out to judge the entries changes per texture. For example, last week I had to look really in-depth as to how well the textures tile and if there were any obvious repeating patterns. It wasn't easy, but I eventually chose a winner. Hopefully that sort-of clears it up a bit.
10/14/2013 5:49 am
StormCoreFilms
I've got 3 entries for this week's competition of designing CAULDRONS- have you submitted one? If not, give it a go!

[yt]skKzUPY1x7E[/yt]
10/13/2013 12:47 am
projectgami

Yay I won ^^
10/12/2013 10:12 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Blob
Speedy
Congrats, Echin. Yours was really good.

Here's my entry, took me about an hour. Made completely in paint.net
(Imgur link, all 4 cauldron image files included: http://imgur.com/a/gMzu9)
10/13/2013 7:36 am
StormCoreFilms
Wow, they look amazing! Great detail, especially in the side texture. Keep it up!
10/12/2013 8:38 pm
StormCoreFilms
Results from the 2nd week of the Weekly Texture Design Competition! Who won this week?

[yt]uAIzOFG04L8[/yt]
10/11/2013 7:15 pm
StormCoreFilms
MemeMasterXD
StormCoreFilms
MemeMasterXDbut wat u use to make one.... what program?

Well, 'making' could mean actually putting the pack together with files and such, or it could mean making the textures, both of which I show in my tutorial videos, so I'm not sure what you're after.

How you ''create'' (idk rlly the word for it xD) the imgs for each item for the texture pack

That makes more sense - I understand you now. Well, I have a tutorial series that outlines how I make HD textures for the game, available here:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlmh-IYCohJ-67A9jmRfIvY1Tzy_vc6fK&feature=mh_lolz

I use Photoshop CS5/CS6 in these videos. Hope that answers your questions.
10/11/2013 7:13 pm
LetsPlay2D
MemeMasterXD
StormCoreFilms
MemeMasterXDbut wat u use to make one.... what program?

Well, 'making' could mean actually putting the pack together with files and such, or it could mean making the textures, both of which I show in my tutorial videos, so I'm not sure what you're after.

How you ''create'' (idk rlly the word for it xD) the imgs for each item for the texture pack

You can edit them with the picture-editing program of your choice! I use paint.NET for my textures some use Photoshop, some use Gimp ... it's up to you ^^
10/11/2013 6:40 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Taco
Sage
Storm Core i hav a question... how u make a texture pack... i mean: do u hav any tutorial for that? an easy way please coz i hav alot of ideas for texture packs but idk how to make one
PS Cool Vids u hav
10/11/2013 6:44 pm
StormCoreFilms
I have a tutorial on Resource Packs which outlines how to make one from scratch (as well as converting a texture pack), if that's what you're after.

[yt]OVJQXH2-PWo[/yt]
10/11/2013 6:51 pm
Sage
but wat u use to make one.... what program?
10/11/2013 6:55 pm
StormCoreFilms
10/11/2013 7:10 pm
Sage
How you ''create'' (idk rlly the word for it xD) the imgs for each item for the texture pack. ºwat program u use for it?
10/11/2013 11:19 am
projectgami
Tomorrow are Results right?
10/11/2013 6:36 pm
StormCoreFilms
Tomorrow or today (it's Saturday morning here).
10/11/2013 12:34 am
VerendusOne
do you think we should do more than one texture a week because i could do at least 2 to 3 and there are alot of textures to be done and doing 1 a week mite take a couple years to finish
10/11/2013 2:19 am
StormCoreFilms
Yeah, I was going to consider doing a few a week based upon how the first few weeks of the competition went.
10/09/2013 4:40 am
SquircularKnights

From Dystopia.
If you do win, are you allowed to compete in the next competition, as you've chosen the texture and could have already made it?
10/09/2013 4:52 am
StormCoreFilms
Awesome entry - thanks!

I didn't really think about entering after you've already won the previous week - I would suggest not entering if this is the case, but you'd be free to enter again after the week off.
10/08/2013 11:53 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Wizard
the gravity block
I think you should be doing cobblestone next. Its a very important texture and has to match with the color of the stone and the theme of the entire pack
10/08/2013 3:43 pm
Level 27 : Expert Ninja
notchthederp
Mines so ugly lol XD
10/08/2013 12:31 pm
projectgami
Has Dave already decided what will be the next tutorial?
10/08/2013 11:34 pm
StormCoreFilms
Yeah, he has. My mistake for saying ores will be next - I'll be doing Cauldrons next.

notchthederpMines so ugly lol XD

No, it's great! Everyone gets better with time.
10/07/2013 5:27 pm
VerendusOne
Ok done
Here is the link to the pictures I hope you like them.
https://imgur.com/a/WTU1w

Link to sometextures used:
http://www.textureking.com/index.php/category/stone

P.S. I im unsure of where i got the stone texture as I made it a long time ago when I first seen your tutorial on it but i know it was ok to use. also the diamond texture is so it can be animated but if not you may have to cut it.
10/08/2013 1:18 am
StormCoreFilms
They look great - very well done, and I appreciate your entry!

This week only required a stone texture to be made, and the ores will most-likely appear soon. It shouldn't really matter in your case, though.

That diamond ore animation looks awesome, too - great work!
10/08/2013 12:17 am
projectgami
Really cool Stone texture good luck
10/07/2013 2:45 am
StormCoreFilms
Thank you all for the wonderful entries already - they look great! I really appreciate all of the effort every single one of you has put in - many thanks, and good luck!
10/06/2013 10:01 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
flamingdiaper4U
Hey, I created a stone texture for the competition. I hope it is good enough. Normally I like to create textures from scratch, but I am following your rules. Here it is.
http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/25230494/file.html (bumpy)

I used the top left picture as a reference on this site: http://wdc3d.com/2d-textures/6-seamless ... extures-1/
10/06/2013 1:33 pm
Level 27 : Expert Ninja
notchthederp
Heyo Storm!

This is my entry for stone. It took approx an hour? Not too long. I wanted to make a nice bumpy effect with my stone, and I think I pulled it off. The cracks are there, but not too much, as I feel some packs exaggerate. Also, the colour turned out perfect, and it looks like the cracks are on bumps, which is cool. I used about 4-5 photos of cracks and stone that I took on my street.

Also, I included a photo which shows 4 of my textures put together. This shows the seamlessness. If by any chance I get featured in a video, could you please show the 4 texture photo as well as the single one? It just looks a lot better, and I think all the videos should have this, so you can see how well the seamlessness blends and works.

Thank you!

[src: http://www.mayang.com/textures/]
10/06/2013 12:25 pm
projectgami
Just a little question, how did you make the blocks in the video?
10/06/2013 10:37 am
Speedy
Spent a bit of time on it. Don't know if anyone will notice the little cracking effect I put in it.

10/06/2013 10:09 am
Speedy
Hmm.. Didn't enter the one for last week. I'll try this week.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome