Coming to a VERY hard decission

DukkiStuff's Avatar DukkiStuff12/13/17 7:19 pm
12/19/2017 9:08 pm
Jackieeex143's Avatar Jackieeex143
Look. i'm sure ALL server owners have come to this edge in there life, and its horribly risky. you're server can become bankrupt and be shut down for this ONE choice.
here it is:

You may know WhiterMC (i doubt it, its a very small server)
if you do you will know our domain is a free sub-domain powered by no-ip (not sponsored)

you may also know, the server is home-hosted. not using someone else. its VERY hard and stressing for me to keep up.

So. should i use the ONLY 12 dollar donation i have. and get a real domain/get server hosting through someone else.
or should i not take this risk.

this is very risky because usually you have to pay every month. and i can't just pull the money out of my thumb.

Anyway, that away, what domain (if i do get one) do you think is good.

here are my personal favorutes:

*whitermc-network.net
*whitermc.network
*whitermc.com
*whitermc.net
*whitermcnetwork.com
*whitermcnetwork.net

*post in the comments if you have one you think is good.
DukkiStuff
Level 9 : Apprentice Birb

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/19/2017 9:08 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Blockhead
Jackieeex143
If you have to use your own money, the server is not worth it. I put 10 bucks into my server the first month, and have made thousands off it. It's either a hit or miss with a server. Wish you the best of luck though! If you ever shut it down, you're welcome to join me @ play.venomouscraft.com.
12/17/2017 8:29 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Apin
I ran into this problem with my own server. I feel like paying for the real domain may help but I couldn't afford to keep it up. This caused me to close my server never to be seen again.
12/17/2017 6:56 am
Level 1 : New Miner
enderdan12
whats the ip
12/17/2017 10:45 pm
DukkiStuff
its whitermc.ddns.net At the moment. anyway if you want to join, its down at the moment because (read Zitzabis's comment) is setting it up
12/16/2017 5:10 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer
Shadeddreams
you should use server.pro
12/16/2017 7:01 pm
DukkiStuff
Read Zitzbais comment, He's my solution:)
12/16/2017 2:53 am
Level 1 : New Blacksmith
Yuuuuh
I hate to say this, but when it comes to these things, you normally get out what you put into it. Advertising and hosts all cost a bit of money, unfortunately and it's the two biggest things that make a server thrive. Yes you can host on your own network/computer but the money you spend putting into that is a lot more than renting a machine or domain with a hosting company. But if you're truly wanting to do this on such a budget, I would still go towards a host.

You can find a 1.5 GB RAM server for as low as $5 on certain hosts (my host BisectHosting has great prices like that and an easy database layout) so hosting shouldn't take up your entire $12.

As for a domain, you can get a free one with a bit of searching. It might not be the one you want, but it's something and it's free and it's easy for your players to remember which is what a domain is truly all about. Good luck.
12/16/2017 2:04 amhistory
Level 24 : Expert Prince
Govindas
about the domain, if you just want a better looking IP, there are other free subdomain services available better than no-ip, like freedns.afraid.org (I got gmn.us.to IP from here)

I have not bought real domain ever, so I cannot say anything about buying it, but I recommend to avoid using donations for other things than server hosting itself, unless you start to get a good amount of donations where you would always have at least x2-x3 of the money needed to pay for hosting monthly.(not one lucky month, but always so you can be safe)

If it does happen that you run out of donations - do not worry it's not the end, you still have server files and you can try find who will donate for the server or start hosting it on your computer back again. I recommend to get server host which gives you a seperate IP like 250.86.20.11 not 250.86.20.1154213

so you can easily get any subdomain/domain changed onto your internet IP if you ever get back to home hosting.

If you want recommendation of hosting service - I use https://www.vpsnet.com/en/services/vps

it costs 6.64 euro a month for 4gb ram 5ghz 30gb ssd server for me, been using that service since 2012, sometimes I had problems with server becoming unreachable for few minutes a month, but other than that it's very good for the price.
12/15/2017 7:16 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
Send me a PM. I may be able to help with hosting for you. I own a few VPS servers that I run code and websites out of. I will also do it for free if you want.
12/15/2017 11:03 pm
DukkiStuff
Ok im guessing its not a scam your a MOD
12/15/2017 11:03 pm
DukkiStuff
Wait, really!
I do want you to somehow prove its not a scam.
i'll PM you now
12/15/2017 5:48 pm
DukkiStuff
Ok. as i said before i'm going to switch to an online host, but it'll take a few months (just because of the price, this is the cheapest one i could find with a DECENT ammount of RAM and 100 players)

Once again, Thanks for the suggestions
12/14/2017 11:41 pm
Stickmatic
Your predicament is somewhat a paradox, without an online host you risk getting overwhelmed and not getting many players, however if you do get an online host then you run the risk of, as you said going bankrupt and all your hard work goes into the dump. But who got anything without taking a few risks?
12/16/2017 1:22 am
DukkiStuff
Thats what i was worried about to. thats why i made this post in the first place. anyway i do have luck, look at Zitzabis's post at the top.
12/14/2017 11:55 am
ElisabethSmith
Try to find a free-host webbsite. Buy a domain name.
12/14/2017 10:48 pmhistory
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Free hosts heavily restrict plugins and features, as well as reliability and any chance of the server becoming relevant if the OP is at all ambitious and intends to keep that host.

Using a free host and buying a domain name is like spraying whipped cream on top of a turd.
12/14/2017 11:18 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Crafter
InRainbows707
Unless it gets bigger, don't take the risk. It's simply not worth thinking about if you don't have the money.
12/14/2017 6:03 am
VAZIKRA
take the risk money is a renewable resource and when your 80 years old you will think what if most likely. So take the risk.
12/14/2017 12:07 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Miner
HerrPreuss
Go for it... and whitermc.net really sounds the best! Less is more!
12/13/2017 10:18 pm
DukkiStuff
Yeah. i'm probably gonna use an online host. Thanks for your opinions
12/13/2017 9:15 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Architect
LightlySaltedBuilder
If you have your own source of money, like a job, you could take a few bucks from there and use it to make up whatever you don't get from donations. If you love your server, I'd say paying for the hosting would be worth it, plus it takes away the uncertainty of not knowing whether you're server will be able to survive.

Also, whitermc.net sounds like a good domain name.
12/13/2017 7:43 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Online host provides advantages in security and probably reliability unless you have a superb network and computer able to provide quality 24/7 gameplay. The domain, dunno. It's fancy and all, but until you can get a proper income/proper balance in your account, I'd consider it secondary. Otherwise, whitemc.net sounds the most fitting.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome